Trouble losing weight on Nexplanon

Options
AnnaMustLoseWeight
AnnaMustLoseWeight Posts: 22 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok... so there is a debate on whether birth control can affect your weight loss or weight gain. Well I had my baby back in April I gained a total of 27lbs I literally lost ALbofbit in two months then I got on nexolanon and I've been eating clean, working out everything and I am still at 200+lbs. like wtf. Help? Any advice? Any experience? Should I get off of BC and see if I can lose weight? What should I do? I workout 4x a week.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think. Weigh your solids and measure your liquids. Keep a tight log and have patience.
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about Nexplanon.
    I Googled it and one of the side effect is weigh gain.
    Maybe you should get a coil or something that doesn't affect weight.
    Talk to your doctor about it.
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was on implanon & now on nexplanon, I haven't found that it affects my weight loss. I'd definitely look at what you're logging and make sure you're not overestimating your exercise calories, so you can rule out any other issues before blaming the implant ☺
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You can eat as clean as you like but if you're not accurately accounting for your calorie intake you won't lose weight.

Medications (with a few exceptions) cannot make you gain weight in magical isolation, usually they will either cause some water weight gain or an increase in appetite. The former is temporary the latter usually also temporary but may cause actual fat gain as you eat too much.

Long story short, if your calorie intake is controlled, so will your weight.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Hormones do have an effect on weight loss/gain. But you can counteract this with calorie intake and exercise.

How do you feel other than slow weight loss? Is this pill a good fit for you? There are many to choose from if this one has side effects you don't like. Or you could use non-hormone methods.
  • AnnaMustLoseWeight
    Options
    I breastfeed as well as do cardio 4x a week but breastfeeding has a caloric burn of 500-600 calories per day. I have a 2100-2500 requirement for breastfeeding I cannot go lower than that or it affects my milk production. And I walk about 3-5miles on the days I do cardio. So I'm burning aroun 700-1000 calories and that's with watching what I eat and making sure I burn whatever isn't as healthy. But there has been no weight difference maybe 1-2lbs loss that's it other than that I have literally maintained my weight. I will have to talk to my doctor, I think I'm going to get it removed. It is progesterone only because my birth control HAS TO BE breastfeeding friendly
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    I breastfeed as well as do cardio 4x a week but breastfeeding has a caloric burn of 500-600 calories per day. I have a 2100-2500 requirement for breastfeeding I cannot go lower than that or it affects my milk production. And I walk about 3-5miles on the days I do cardio. So I'm burning aroun 700-1000 calories and that's with watching what I eat and making sure I burn whatever isn't as healthy. But there has been no weight difference maybe 1-2lbs loss that's it other than that I have literally maintained my weight. I will have to talk to my doctor, I think I'm going to get it removed. It is progesterone only because my birth control HAS TO BE breastfeeding friendly

Don't get pregnant again. :laugh: Unless that is of course what you want. :P
  • AnnaMustLoseWeight
    Options

Don't get pregnant again. :laugh: Unless that is of course what you want. :P

LOL yeah we are going to wait a while before number 2.
    I think hubby can stand to wrap it up until I'm at my goal weight
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Are you EBF?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    The only reason for weight gain is that you eat more than you burn.
    The only reason for maintaining weight is that you're eating as much as you burn.
    The only reason for weight loss is that you eat less than you burn.

The hormones can affect appetite, water retention, mood / energy.
    But the drug is not responsible for your weight.

zkt5eorsyk97.jpg
  • nhecker
    nhecker Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It could be the breastfeeding and not the birth control. I know when I breastfeed I held on to the baby weight.
  • baconbutt31
    baconbutt31 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to use the pill, but I never had any problems, but when I changed over to the implannon, my skin started to have mild break outs, my mood was fluctuationing and I gained weight. My doctor advised me that the side effects would settleafter three months. I've had my implant for approximately two and a half and the side effects are beginning to settle. I found that I more or less used the implant as an excuse to not regulate my caloric intake. If in doubt, please consult a doctor.
  • mrspenalopez
    mrspenalopez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible experience with implanon/nexplonnon after a molar pregnancy and had to get off of it within 2months. The side-effects were horrible. Switched to the pill for about 2 yrs no issues.

http://the-implanon.blogspot.com/2011/04/truth-about-implanon.html?m=1
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Birth control itself does not cause weight gain outside of false weight gain which is water retention...it sucks yup.

The actual side effect is "increased appetite" which can cause people to eat more which can cause weight gain.

All hormonal BC methods list this as they sort of have too...

I wouldn't worry about it while breast feeding to be honest...
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Birth control itself does not cause weight gain outside of false weight gain which is water retention...it sucks yup.

The actual side effect is "increased appetite" which can cause people to eat more which can cause weight gain.

If this means "don't worry about birth control whilst breastfeeding," I recommend you RUN DONT WALK away from this advice.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had nexplanon last April and started my journey I'm January. I've lost 45 pounds so I doubt it has caused weight gain.

Sounds like your maintenance is around 2100- or you are eating more than you think (which is very easy to do).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

Don't worry about BC while BFing? :laugh:
  • acreathorn
    acreathorn Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Walking 3-5 miles burns no more than 300-500 calories. I suspect you're over estimating your burn. Set your tracker to sedentary, and don't "eat back" exercise calories, it isn't necessary and will only slow your progress down.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Don't worry about BC while BFing? :laugh:

I know of more than a few "surprises" that are here because of people thinking that can't get PG and don't need BC while BF.
  • kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm on nexplanon and it caused an out of control appetite. I gained 50+ lbs in 2 years because I was constantly hungry. I plan to get it out when I am able to. But I have lost 20.5 lbs while still having it in. But I have changed my eating habits which I think has helped. I will say that I will never do a long term birth control like nexplanon again. If I get back on birth control it will be a pill.