32 lb weight loss in 1 year - now plateau for 2 months

Options
Hello everyone! I wanted to get some opinions on my progress so far. I've been religiously logging in my caloric intake on a daily basis (342-day streak as of 10/10/2016) as well as my physical activity. I looked back 5 weeks ago to my journal entries and according to that time, "if every day were like today, you would be 188 lbs." Well, apparently I'm doing something wrong, because I'm still stuck at the same weight. Now, I understand that some of it could be muscle, but I feel like there is an "endocrine factor" that must play a large role in utilizing nutrients efficiently that I'm missing.... So I basically have two questions:

Starting weight 225 (10/6/2015). Current weight 198 lbs. Height is 5'8". Age 31.

1) Is a 32-lb weight loss in 1 year "too slow"?

2) What are some basic recommendations to get through this plateau?

I know these are loaded questions, but any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam

Replies

• SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It gets harder as you get closer to your goals but a few things off the top of my head... Are you accurately logging? That means logging everything and doing so accurately with a food scale? If not, you could be underestimating your calories. Are you eating back exercise calories? MFP seems to overestimate those... The biggest issue is people underestimate food and overestimate burned calories. Also, how long has it been since you adjusted your goals? With the weight difference, your goal cals could be off. And lastly, have you checked in on your macros? They might give a little insight as well.
  • bblue656
    bblue656 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 - 47 lbs since april. and now im plateauing. are you eating back your exercise calories? because i know thats what i was doing, and to break my plateau i had to stop eating those. and use different machines.
  • mechasam
    mechasam Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    MzHill08 wrote: »
    It gets harder as you get closer to your goals but a few things off the top of my head... Are you accurately logging? That means logging everything and doing so accurately with a food scale? If not, you could be underestimating your calories. Are you eating back exercise calories? MFP seems to overestimate those... The biggest issue is people underestimate food and overestimate burned calories. Also, how long has it been since you adjusted your goals? With the weight difference, your goal cals could be off. And lastly, have you checked in on your macros? They might give a little insight as well.

I've been very accurate in logging my caloric intake - even 0-calorie items, since I have OCD apparently! I do make sure to overestimate calories and underestimate calorie burning, just so I don't get too comfortable as far as calorie logging goes. I haven't checked into my macros, as you suggested, though.
    bblue656 wrote: »
    I have lost 45 - 47 lbs since april. and now im plateauing. are you eating back your exercise calories? because i know thats what i was doing, and to break my plateau i had to stop eating those. and use different machines.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to be more mindful of eating back those calories....

Thanks for your input, ladies!
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Did you notice if MFP had changed your calorie intake goal? I started at 1650 and I noticed after 10 pounds it went down to 1600. If you don't take it into account you may be eating at maintenance or slowing down weight loss.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Just taking a peek at your diary. It looks like you're using cups and measuring spoons. For more accuracy, you may want to start using a digital scale. That small margin of error is probably what is keeping you from your goal.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most plateaus are due to calorie creep, so tighten up your weighing and logging. Increase your movement with an extra walk a 10 extra minutes on your workout, etc.
  • tooru
    tooru Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    mechasam wrote: »
    I've been very accurate in logging my caloric intake - even 0-calorie items, since I have OCD apparently! I do make sure to overestimate calories and underestimate calorie burning, just so I don't get too comfortable as far as calorie logging goes. I haven't checked into my macros, as you suggested, though.

#thatsnotOCD