Weight question..

Options
Quick question;

Would it be better to lift weights (any kind, or machine) at the weight you can just about manage, or a few kg lower but it would enable you to do more.

i.e

5 sets of 5x 25kg shoulder press, or 6 sets of 5x 20kg shoulder press. Assuming that at the end of both you couldn't really do much more.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Find a proper programme...
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    i believe that more reps lower weight is more for stamina/tone. higher weight less reps is from more growth. I could be wrong.
  • tooru
    tooru Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Stop replying if you're not interested in answering
  • tooru
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    i believe that more reps lower weight is more for stamina/tone. higher weight less reps is from more growth. I could be wrong.

hoping it's that way around!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    tooru wrote: »

It's good advice... a structured programme with progressive overload is the best way to see results...
  • tooru
    Options

It's good advice... a structured programme with progressive overload is the best way to see results...

But I wasn't asking about having a programme. I was asking whether you should work to your absolute limit or a bit under and last longer....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    3-5 rep range to develop strength. 8-12 rep range for growth. 15-20 rep range for endurance. Of course it's not that black and white and they all intertwine together but that's the jist. If you are losing weight and lifting, I pretty much think sticking to a 3-12 rep range is enough to maintain most of the muscle you already have.

Best advice, find a structured, proven plan that focuses on compound lifts and uses a variety of rep ranges. No need in spinning your wheels trying to make up your own plan.
  • tooru
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    3-5 rep range to develop strength. 8-12 rep range for growth. 15-20 rep range for endurance. Of course it's not that black and white and they all intertwine together but that's the jist. If you are losing weight and lifting, I pretty much think sticking to a 3-12 rep range is enough to maintain most of the muscle you already have.

Best advice, find a structured, proven plan that focuses on compound lifts and uses a variety of rep ranges. No need in spinning your wheels trying to make up your own plan.

Not making a plan, just wondering...
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Any Compound Lifts (Barbell Back Squats, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Bench Press, etc.) I keep in the 3-6 rep range (aka Myofibrillar Hypertrophy).

Any isolations lifts (Bicep Curls, Tricep Extensions, etc.) I keep in the 8-15 rep range (Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy)

Think of the big lifts as your strength builders, and the isolation lifts as your muscle builders. That said, of course you will build muscles if you're lifting heavy weights/doing the compound lifts but the isolation lifts are nice to really "isolate" a muscle group and bring it up, especially if it's lagging behind.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Quick question;

Would it be better to lift weights (any kind, or machine) at the weight you can just about manage, or a few kg lower but it would enable you to do more.

i.e

5 sets of 5x 25kg shoulder press, or 6 sets of 5x 20kg shoulder press. Assuming that at the end of both you couldn't really do much more.

Usually you increase the number of reps when you lower weight, not the number of sets. So in your example I think a better version would be 5 sets of 5x 25kg versus 5 sets of 8x 20kg.

As others have mentioned, lower reps for strength higher reps for endurance. 5x sets for a given muscle group is quite a lot, probably no need to go above that.
  • tooru
    Options
    Any Compound Lifts (Barbell Back Squats, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Bench Press, etc.) I keep in the 3-6 rep range (aka Myofibrillar Hypertrophy).

Any isolations lifts (Bicep Curls, Tricep Extensions, etc.) I keep in the 8-15 rep range (Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy)

Think of the big lifts as your strength builders, and the isolation lifts as your muscle builders. That said, of course you will build muscles if you're lifting heavy weights/doing the compound lifts but the isolation lifts are nice to really "isolate" a muscle group and bring it up, especially if it's lagging behind.

Thanks. But what about the kg? Is it better to do as much as you can manage, or a few kg lighter but more sets?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This conversation is making my head hurt.

What are your goals?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

What are your goals?

You've got to love MFP :laugh:
  • tooru
    Options

What are your goals?

i don't understand what is so hard to understand. which is better in the long run; doing your maximum for a shorter period of time, or something more manageable for longer. just thought i'd ive weights as an example, but it could also be in relation to running or anything.

i don't have goals. i don't lift weights. i am just curious.
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said above... it depends on your goals. Are you trying to have better endurance or improve your strength or grow your muscles orrrr? Depending on what you are looking to do is going to determine your answer. Whichever you are trying to do is the answer to your question.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

What are your goals?

i don't understand what is so hard to understand. which is better in the long run; doing your maximum for a shorter period of time, or something more manageable for longer. just thought i'd ive weights as an example, but it could also be in relation to running or anything.

i don't have goals. i don't lift weights. i am just curious.

The fewer reps you do the more weight you lift. When you lift weights the goal is generally to progress. Progressing means adding weight to the bar or adding reps or doing some combination of the above.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Like with driving speed, it depends on several factors, like one's goal and experience level. There is no universal "best". :+1:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Thanks. But what about the kg? Is it better to do as much as you can manage, or a few kg lighter but more sets?

Personally I do anywhere from 3-6 sets for compounds (as heavy as I can) and usually do 3 sets for isolation lifts. How many sets I do really depends on my volume for that workout. If you want to do more sets at a lighter weight that's fine, however I don't see the point unless it's an isolation lift.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    This was a post a few days ago. It may answere your question.

http://indianapolisfitnessandsportstraining.com/setrep/

It all comes down to personal preference. I am in maintenance and could do with building some muscle and strength so do 85% 1rm for 8-12 reps (progressing reps weekly) for 2 working sets.

Others who wish to focus on increased strength work in a higher % weight on a 5x5 routine.

Higher reps are good for endurance primarily.

Cheers, h.