Thryoid issues

Options
HI there

I am new to this site as of yesterday. I am trying to lose my last 5 pounds of 20, but it is taking forever. The reason is that I had my thyroid removed last year due to cancer and am now artifically stimulated via levothyroxine. I had to go off my drugs for my radiation treatment in the summer and this is when I gained the weight. My metabolism has been greatly impacted by this. I work out 4 days a week for 2 hours at a time and eat well, but NOTHING moves on the scale. It is rather frustrating, so I am hoping that keeping a detailed food journal will help. If there is anyone out there who has had success with weight loss after having their thryoid removed, I would love to hear from you.

Replies

• kprakash
    Options
    HI there

I am new to this site as of yesterday. I am trying to lose my last 5 pounds of 20, but it is taking forever. The reason is that I had my thyroid removed last year due to cancer and am now artifically stimulated via levothyroxine. I had to go off my drugs for my radiation treatment in the summer and this is when I gained the weight. My metabolism has been greatly impacted by this. I work out 4 days a week for 2 hours at a time and eat well, but NOTHING moves on the scale. It is rather frustrating, so I am hoping that keeping a detailed food journal will help. If there is anyone out there who has had success with weight loss after having their thryoid removed, I would love to hear from you.
  • Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have been on Synthroid for years, and have lost 12 pounds since starting here in January. The nice thing about this site is that by logging every mouthful and weighing every morning, I can see exactly how going over my caloric level impacts my next day's weight. It sounds clinical, but it helps me enormously. I have a hard time exercising, but by starting slowly I plan to improve. You are already working out, so you are far ahead of me right now. Also, I have well over 100 pounds to go!
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Well...I haven't had my Thyroid removed, but WOW! What an obstacle you are overcoming! Good for you! :flowerforyou: You are definetely on the right track and this site is GREAT for support and motivation! So, stick with it and I'm sure you will see the last bit come off! Welcome and let us know if there is anything you need!!!!!:flowerforyou:

*Kistinbee*
  • nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have not had my thyroid removed but I have a very underactive gland and have to take Levothyroxine to counteract the side effects..... as you say it makes it much harder to lose weight. I joined this site last November and with tracking my calories and exercise routine I have lost an amazing 24lbs. I have about 15lbs more to lose. I have found that if I avoid all bread cakes an biscuits it makes it easier - even to the point of going gluten free. My GP is well pleased. Hope you have as much success with the site.
  • kprakash
    Options
    Thanks for the support! Are you avoiding all whole grain breads too?
  • aleac10
    aleac10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do not have thyroid issues (that i know of!) but my sister does. i have seen the effects on her and am sympathetic to what you are dealing with.
    this is my second time keeping a food journal. the first time i did it to diagnose the cause of my chronic migraines. it worked - wheat.
    this time around i am doing it to get healthy and lose weight. i have only been using this site for 15 days, but already know that keeping track of the nutrition of what i eat is making a big difference. just keep at the exercise , eating well, and logging in what you eat! you will succeed!
    there are a load of other breads out there, too that contain no wheat. all grain, that sort of thing.
    good luck!!!!
    :smile:
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have had 80% of my thyroid removed and I take synthroid to try to normalize.
    I have a very difficult time but it is not impossible. I have had my best success when keeping a journal and keeping my fat intake below 33g if over 200 pounds or 22 if under 200 pounds.
    good luck - we are all in this together
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm new here too. Just wanted to say that I am on Levothyroxine also and found it impossible to lose weight until they adjusted the medication to the correct amount. Have you had your TSH level checked recently? Now that my TSH levels are in the normal range, I can lose weight just like before my thyroid quit working. Just a thought :smile: You are doing something positive for your body at anyrate and I'm sure there are good effects taking place even if the scale doesn't show it!
  • kprakash
    Options
    Hi Montana Girl

Yes, I get my levels checked often and I am in the normal range. I think that going off the meds for 6 weeks prior to treatment (which is required) and thus being below baseline takes its toll. I am also 36 which does not help.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I hear you - I'm 37. It gets tougher!! I do have a lot more than 5 lbs to lose though!! Lost 6 lbs in Jan :smile: Just thought maybe that might be part of it . . . hopefully you will have success soon!
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    you sound just like my mom and me, we both have a imposable time losing weight but not cause of removal just a non-active thyroid. Mom i the one thats been tested, but i know i have it just because i can not lose weight. I also work out like 4 times a week so, I can sympathize with your problem but I'm afraid thats all i have to offer. good luck
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I am 54 years old. (I tell people I am 12 lol)
    I understand your struggles. I have had a nonfunctioning thyroid for many years along with a lot of other health issues that I struggle with daily. I also have Fibromyalgia.
    I have been taking levothyroxine for a long time. The doctor keeps checking my blood and upping the dose as needed. They took blood when I saw my endocrinologist yesterday. They will let me know in a week or so if any changes need to be made in my meds.
    I use to weigh over 300 pounds. I have lost 171 pounds. This it the second time I have lost this much weight. The first time I lost 174 pounds and gained it all back. I have had no surgery of any kind to lose the weight. No gastric bypass no lap ban NO nothing.
    I work every day to keep my weight down. I know this is something that I will have to work at the rest of my life. If I don’t I will gain the weight back like I did before and I will be right back in the wheelchair and back on the C-Pap machine when I sleep.
    I have been at my goal weight now for 3 years, 4 months and 1 week.
    The closer someone gets to their goal weight the tougher it is to lose because it takes less calories to maintain that weight and we lose slower then we did when we first started dieting.
    The thing that helps me lose weight and keep it off is to log my food. I still do it to this day. I weigh, measure and log each and every thing that goes in my mouth. I found out the hard way if I don’t do these things I will gain it back.
    You can lose the weight. Just keep on doing what you know you need to do and the scales will start to move again.
    Good luck with your treatments. The time will pass and you will lose the weight.
    :flowerforyou:
  • nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm new here too. Just wanted to say that I am on Levothyroxine also and found it impossible to lose weight until they adjusted the medication to the correct amount. Have you had your TSH level checked recently? Now that my TSH levels are in the normal range, I can lose weight just like before my thyroid quit working. Just a thought :smile: You are doing something positive for your body at anyrate and I'm sure there are good effects taking place even if the scale doesn't show it!
    That TSH is the thing - my results appeared normal until they checked again and found I needed to increase the dose.