Biggest advice from people who have lost 50+lbs

Options

Replies

• bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you do a treat day do not allow it to drag into the second day, get that day done and the next day be very disciplined and get back to the diet.
    As fast as possible is not always the best way
  • ElleBellesTheoBear
    Options
    So many helpful posts here. Thank you everyone :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy and make sure it's something you can do the rest of your life.

The trick will be keeping the weight off.

I lost 100 lbs then gained it back and now have lost alittle over 35 lbs.
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have lost 94 pounds out of the 120 pound goal I set. For me MFP and my food scale. The online support systems I have got. Also dedication is a big one. The first weeks when you get the big numbers from water weight loss is great. I lost 8 pounds my first week. 25 my first month. Then the numbers started getting smaller then stalled. I would have up to three weeks with no loss. Some weeks a small gain during TOM. You need to learn weight loss is not a down hill slope. There is downs, ups and straight lines. That is where dedication comes in. You may not feel like it's working but it will if you stay in your calorie goal.

Take pictures. Plenty of them. Going back and looking at them helps a lot.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've learned that losing weight has to be less about dieting and more about changing one's lifestyle. A diet implies a behavior that you start & stop... I just read an article in Prevention Magazine that said 95% of people who lose weight regain some or all of it. Hence, a lifestyle change is sustainable & health focused :)

^^ This nails it. Thinking of it as a "DIET" is like trying to hold your breath. Eventually you're going to need to breath. (If you made a bad food choice today, log it and then don't dwell on it. Just vow to make a better choice tomorrow)

Making a decision to implement a series of small lifestyle changes (around food choices and exercise) brings lasting results. Eventually, these healthy steps become habits and weightloss becomes a happy by-product of your new healthy lifestyle. Finally, for me, having a performance goal (like in running, swimming, weights) provides a strong focus and motivation once the weight loss goal is met. Weight management then becomes just another habit that helps in achieving my performance goals.

• jefelol
    jefelol Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    drink water. a lot of water
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    Eat things you like. Don't eat things you don't like. And weigh your food as often as possible.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Patience, grasshopper. :)
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Weigh & measure food. Meal prep. Accountability - enter into MFP or text someone a pic of EVERY meal. (It's a lot harder to cheat with pictures!) Cut alcohol. Build muscle. CONSISTENCY. Don't make too many exceptions that your exceptions become the habit. If you go off track, get right back on it, the very next meal or the next workout.

Eat - real foods, don't crazy calorie restrict or fad diets. Read nutrition labels. Become a morning person. Determination. Cut sugar. Eat out less. Cook more. Find a workout class you love. One of my friends gave me the advice, "You kind of have to be willing to suck for awhile." And when I looked at it that way, I relaxed about my non-existent fitness level. The goal of each session isn't to prove how fit you are, it's to improve your level of fitness. The more progression you see and the more efficient you get, the more enjoyable it becomes instead of a strenuous chore. And the more motivating it became to eat well to fuel workouts instead of self-medicate with food.

I lost 67lbs last year and had no idea where to start. Surround yourself with a community of positive, like-minded people. Keep a laser sharp focus on your goals. Say no to things you don't really want to do. Save all your best energy for you and pour it into yourself. It takes planning, dedication, and consistency, but believe in yourself that you can do it!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Consistency, and stay within your calorie allotment, and your goals will be met.
  • soulraver
    soulraver Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Amazing thread!
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I lost 53 pounds last year by logging everything and exercise. Hiking really helped me drop some pounds quickly but I did a variety of exercises. But it's likely most of us will gain some weight back. I've gained 8-10 pounds and I'm fighting to keep it just at that. Weight loss is easy compared to maintenance. My appetite is insane some days and I never had the problem before I lost the weight. There are physiological causes for what I'm going through. My body wants the weight back on but I don't. It's a constant fight but exercise helps. I'm more fit at age 45 than I was at 25. I can run again! There's still a lot to celebrate. Focus on being healthy over a number on a scale.
  • ElleBellesTheoBear
    ElleBellesTheoBear Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm glad people like this thread :-)

I'm loosing slowly now 16 lbs down and counting. Still making healthy choices. Getting my exercise in minimum 3x a week and staying focused and patient lol!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Make sustainable changes or you will just give up.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's a lifetime change. Make changes you can live with for the rest of your life and implement them. My old "normal" is what got me 100lbs overweight, there's no dieting to goal weight and then going back to that "normal". Make a new normal, stick with it as well you can and when you slip up, go over, or feel like you've gone off the rails, get back to the new "normal".

SW: 254lb
    CW: 182lb
    GW: 145lb (ish, I'll see when I get there)