Trying to grow a booty!

Options
What are the best booty building exercises that can be done at the gym? And if you have tips on any foods or supplements that can help please share! :)

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    squats, squats, squats and more squats. Weighted squats. I have a flat booty I do a ton of squats and now I am finally seeing results.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I am in the flat booty club...and I am working on this booty. Squats, reverse squats, lunges, dead lifts, walking lunges....omg, its so much to do out there....
  • pyro_guy7
    pyro_guy7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I saw "grow" and immediately thought "fertilizer" :lol:
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to get muscle in that area? Then you will probably have to eat in a surplus and do exercises such as deadlifts, squats, hip thrusts, glute bridges, etc to work on that area.

But also, some of it is genetics.

You should look up Strong Curves. It is a lifting program that focuses a lot on the lower body.
  • Melly_Mel_89
    Melly_Mel_89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @dbanks80 How many sets and reps do you usually do and how long did it take for you to start seeing results? @STLBADGIRL Yes, the flat booty club is no fun. LOL. Ive never heard of reverse squats.. I'll have to try that one out!
  • Melly_Mel_89
    Options
    @pyro_guy7 LOL if only it was just that easy!
  • pyro_guy7
    pyro_guy7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @Melly_Mel_89 Hey, one can dream! Hahaha!
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Squats!!!!!!!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @dbanks80 How many sets and reps do you usually do and how long did it take for you to start seeing results? @STLBADGIRL Yes, the flat booty club is no fun. LOL. Ive never heard of reverse squats.. I'll have to try that one out!

@Melly_Mel_89 In my boot camp 3 days a week we do circuit training that includes squats, reverse lunges etc... for 1 min 30 secs. each time. The session lasts one hour

Working out on my own I do assisted squats with the machine. 3 sets of 12 reps. I worked up to 100lbs. I started at like 50 lbs.

Doing it consistently took me 6 months to see a little bump LOL!

but everyone is different.
  • Melly_Mel_89
    Options
    @samanthaluangphixay Thanks, I'll look that program up! But what do you mean by eating in a surplus?
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Eat & lift heavy- you cannot build muscle while in a calorie deficit
    Barbell squats, deadlifts, glute bridges, donkey kicks on the smith machine, cable pull throughs, good mornings are some of my favs.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @samanthaluangphixay Thanks, I'll look that program up! But what do you mean by eating in a surplus?

A surplus is more calories than you burn.

Muscle needs energy to build - that energy is coming from calories. You need more energy to build muscles.

If you are eating in a deficit (ie weight loss mode), it is very difficult to build muscle.

If you continue to lose fat, you may get your butt to look better but if you're in the 'flat butt club' (as am I), you have to build muscle. And sometimes, that's not even enough because it might be your genes.

Edited: Formatting.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    squats are certainly NOT the best exercise for glutes. Especially considering most people perform them incorrectly, unweighted, with the wrong frequency, or quad-dominant.

I agree, look up strong curves -OR- incorporate significantly more heavy glute work with a high frequency (minimum twice a week) along with a slight calorie surplus. Things like glute bridges, Hip thrusts, split squats, step ups, cable kickbacks, banded crab walks, and more.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Genetics are going to be the biggest factor. Not everyone is built to have a bubble butt. That being said you can work on what you have with a progressing lifting program such as Strong Curves as suggested in this thread. Also eating at a surplus which is eating more than you burn in a day.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I just started Strong Curves.

I second that squats are not the best because most people never fire their glutes when they're doing them. You have to really concentrate on your glutes when you're squatting to get them to fire. It's not always easy.

I prefer glute bridges, and hip thrusts. I do step ups too but hate them. Deadlifts and kettelbell swings can also be good if you're conscientious about squeezing your glutes during lock out.

I'm just trying to lift my booty, I have no desire to build it. If you want to build muscle tissue, you'll need to, as stated above, eat in a slight caloric surplus.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As mentioned.. genetics are going to play a huge roll.. another vote for Strong Curves and hip thrusts. I am sure you could see some results from eating at maintenance especially if they just need a bit of a lift and slight growth. But if you are looking for a significant increase in size ya, a bulk/eating in surplus/gaining weight is where the party is.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Squats (squeeze your butt when you come up and get low, form is important! ), pistols, lunges (all kinds) ...backward lunges with heavy wieghts omg grows booty like no other for me !
  • suarez73
    suarez73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What are the best booty building exercises that can be done at the gym? And if you have tips on any foods or supplements that can help please share! :)

Squats! Best exercise for a bigger booty!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'll second Strong Curves! Best program for building those glutes. Working on my second SC program right now and have started to see some progress :)
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This may be TMI but I have FELT a difference but not sure I can SEE the difference. But I've done a multitude of various strength and cardio the last 1-3/4 yrs.