12 - 14 % bodyfat result.

Options
Hi, what would be the ideal daily calorie intake for reaching 12 - 14 % bodyfat. Thanks :)

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Agreed. There is no magic number.
    And the closest thing you will get to a "real" number is just guesswork based on YOUR body.

Without your current body fat numbers, you can only hope you are in the ballpark.

You can ESTIMATE your current body fat with calipers or a measuring tape but a dunk tank would be more accurate.

One measuring tape method here:
    http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-determine-the-number-of-calories-you-should-eat-1693372946
    Estimate on the high end.
    Add a percent or two; maybe add an inch to the measurement in case you are pulling the tape too tight.
    It might be hard on your ego, but you will be better off.

Then you can shoot for 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat with a 20% calorie deficit using those numbers with the TDEE result from here:
    https://legionathletics.com/macronutrient-calculator/

* I prefer the links I provided because they don't require a login or ask for your email address
  • tribtastic
    tribtastic Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yep :)
    Height - 5ft 9inch
    Weight - 11st 6 lbs
    Average activity level.
    Gym - four days a week.
    10min warm up followed by 1hr 20min weights
    (two body muscle groups)finishing with. 20min HIIT.
    currently eating between 3,000 - 3,200 calories daily.
    Bodyfat is between 20 - 24%.

hope this helps :)
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    What's your current body fat %, to me you look solid right now. Why is your goal 12-14 anyway? If I want to cut or get lean, I aim to be 10% or lower. You have to reach a certain weight by bulking thought first and gain muscle before you start to cut, it's lengthy process. If you then decide you do want to cut down now and you believe you're starting to see more fat than muscle than you can start eating a calorie deficit. What I would recommend is to first try using the MFP calculated calories and go from there. I would select that you want to lose 0.5 lbs per week because if you want to lose weight faster you risk losing muscle too and the goal would be to lose fat not muscle. You'll have to make sure you're eating AT LEAST 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight to PRESERVE yoru muscle. When you decide to cut down you've committed to the idea that you are NOT building muscle at this point, you're goal is to lose fat and keep as much muscle as possible. Does this make sense. So fill out the MFP goals, put a goal weight of lets say 10 lbs less than what you are now. Select losing weight at 0.5 lb per week and it will give your total calories. I also found online a body fat % weight calculator made by fit watch, it's really awesome. You put in your height, weight, current body fat % and then put in your goal body fat % and it will tell you how much you need to weigh in order to get that body fat % based on the data you put in. Try that too. Good luck!
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    tribtastic wrote: »
    Height - 5ft 9inch
    Weight - 11st 6 lbs
    Average activity level.
    Gym - four days a week.

Plug that into the links above.
  • tribtastic
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys and gals :) really helps and is very much appreciated :)
    Definitely gonna use the links and stats to keep an eye on progression.
    #1 KEEP THE PROTEIN STOCKED !!!!!
  • cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Truer words are rarely spoken...
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Go keto my friend, ditch the carbs and eat fat to burn body fat
  • cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    I am a fan of keto -I was teaching it in the 90's- but it might be rough with that much weight training and HIIT cardio.
  • tribtastic
    Options
    I feel a diet of fresh fish and vegetables.
    Followed by fresh fish and vegetables........
    followed by fresh fish and vegetables!
    :):):):):):):)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys and gals :) really helps and is very much appreciated :)
    Definitely gonna use the links and stats to keep an eye on progression.

No, #1 is get your deficit in, protein isn't nearly as important as so many people seem to believe. Yes, it will help you preserve muscle but so do carbs and ketones so no need to go overboard on a single macro. Also, I'd go crazy on your tilapia, broccoli and sweet potato diet in about 3 days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    bowlerae wrote: »
    I am a fan of keto -I was teaching it in the 90's- but it might be rough with that much weight training and HIIT cardio.

Keto + anaerobic exercise generally does not equal a good combo.

Protein needs are generally only 1.5g/kg to 2.2g/kg of body weight (roughly .7-1g per lb). Over that is a bit unnecessary during a cut. If you like protein, go for it, but excess protein will just end up converting to glucose anyways.

Also, OP, if you aren't losing weight, cut 15% from your current number and start with that.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    That was my point. You can do it, but it is not fun.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    That was my point. You can do it, but it is not fun.

Sorry, I was actually expanding on what you say.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    My bad. ;)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Height - 5ft 9inch
    Weight - 11st 6 lbs
    Average activity level.
    Gym - four days a week. 5 months ago.

OP: How do you know you're at 20-24% BF? Have you had a hydrostatic weigh-in or DEXA scan?

Consuming 3000-3200 net cals/day could put you at at 20-24% BF but that doesn't seem to square w/you being 5'9" and only 160# (11st 6lbs).

FWIW, I am 5'8" 165# @ 16.9% BF based on a hydrostatic weigh-in a month ago. This is down from 196# @ 25+% BF 5 months ago on an average of 1700-1800 net cals/day w/lifting and workouts 5x's a week.

However, my goal was weight loss and yours seems to be bulking but, if so, I would think you'd weigh a lot more than just 160#.

• eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    everything you need to know, just go through this guide, you don't have to sign up for anything. http://rippedbody.com/complete-diet-nutrition-set-up-guide/
  • tribtastic
    Options
    Excellent advice guys :)
    I have definitely on occasion over done my protein intake for the day. I feel cutting from 3,200 down to 2,200 (ish ?) Will help also great point about more broccoli :):):)
    I feel sometimes I eat too much in one sitting knowing that I'll miss the next eating window resulting in it being harder for me to keep away fat that may still be stored.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice guys :)
    I have definitely on occasion over done my protein intake for the day. I feel cutting from 3,200 down to 2,200 (ish ?) Will help also great point about more broccoli :):):)
    I feel sometimes I eat too much in one sitting knowing that I'll miss the next eating window resulting in it being harder for me to keep away fat that may still be stored.

meal timing is nearly irrelevant, so eat when it best fit's you. You don't have to eat in a certain "window". Although if you feel over-full that would be a good indication that you should probably lighten up a little bit.