Supplements for runners ?

Options
2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP if I need a little something, I just take caffeine. Not enough to take me into jitter land, but a little boost as I run fasted so no coffee for me before hand.

I always make sure my nutrition the day before (I run 5:30 a.m.) is enough to fuel my run, and I also hydrate very well. There are no magic supplements. Its all in your training and of course diet and enough sleep. These two things can do wonders for one's performance.
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    But is Beta Alanin bad for me ? Should I stop taking it ?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Kati9408 wrote: »

Probably only bad for your wallet.

From what I've read (and it's not exhaustive) is that beta alanine may confer some benefits for weight lifting and other non-aerobic activities but doesn't seem to offer anything for distance runners.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I just do a good store bought multivitamin and an iron supplement (spatone pursorb iron water). Donuts and coffee as needed. :wink: happy running!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Best way to improve your running times is to follow a real actual running program.

Eating a well balanced diet and being "race weight" will help your times as well.

Supplements are overrated (and most of them are shams). I take a very limited amount that are very high quality (and expensive, gah) and they are to improve my overall nutrition which helps my body be more efficient. Does that directly relate to noticeable time improvements? Not really. Unless you are already an elite running athlete - your most effective way to decrease times is to follow a real personalized program from an experienced coach.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Bit of a waste of time. The best supplement to improve your pace is more miles
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Bit of a waste of time. The best supplement to improve your pace is more miles

And adequately fuel the miles in the first place
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    There are no supplements that will make you run faster, unless you are actually deficient in something your body needs. I take iron and vitamin D supplements because my blood tests showed insufficient levels of both. Otherwise, you just need to think about your training to make sure it will help you reach your goals.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    aashwill wrote: »
    Everyone should take creatine. 5mg/day for the typical person.

Creatine does not help with long distance running. Your body stops using the creatine phosphate system to metabolize more ATP within seconds of running.

C4 pre-workout (which the OP mentioned) has the same effect of drinking 5 cups of coffee for me. It's just a stimulant.

Some pre-workouts may contain other things in it (like Nitric Oxide or Beta-Alanine or Amino Acids or other vitamins and minerals (what you would find in a One A day tablet), but in essence what you are buying the pre-workout for as a stimulant. Coffee in my mind would be the cheaper way to go.

OP also mentioned Beta Alanin which is supposed to help balance your pH from lactic acid production. I would say, save your money. Just do lots of conversational pace running to build up your aerobic base. Then when you graduate from that, do some tempo and threshold workouts. When you purposely make your body dump lactate into the blood at reasonable levels, the body can adapt through training for better buffering and lactate clearance capabilities.

I personally have my protein shake (regular whey powder from GNC but I also used the MuscleTech from Sam's Club and even the Body Fortress from Walmart when in a pinch) mixed in low fat milk. I drink it within 15 minutes of a run. On long runs (90 minutes or longer) I just use Gatorade or PowerAde during my workout. I just gotten used to carrying a 32 oz bottle around while running, and my running group plants aid along the course for our Saturday long runs.

I used Gu's and gels in the past but learned to just rely on the Gatorade. I will keep a few packets in my spy belt during my longer races (HM and fulls) just in case, along with some salt tablets.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Some pre-workouts may contain other things in it (like Nitric Oxide or Beta-Alanine or Amino Acids or other vitamins and minerals (what you would find in a One A day tablet), but in essence what you are buying the pre-workout for as a stimulant. Coffee in my mind would be the cheaper way to go.

Gross. A nice cup of Earl Grey has the same amount of caffeine as coffee though ;) (really all black teas have about the same amount of caffeine as black coffee, depending on how it's brewed. You can make a cup of tea with a lot of caffeine, but I'd think it would be undrinkable)
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I used to take Glucosamine as I had issues with my knees but to be honest it was mainly weight related and now I'm a bit lighter I'm not getting the same issues. Other than that I don't use supplements although I do use hydration tabs in water when running longer distances. No idea if they do any good but they taste nicer than plain water anyway!
  • Kati9408
    Options
    Update: I stop taking Beta Alanin and I feel a lot better + I started eating plant based ( with some junk included from time to time of course). My last marathon time (Sofia marathon, 42 km) 3:40, my last 5k 21:34. But I am eating plant based only for a couple of days so we shall see how it goes.
  • Kati9408
    Options
    + I stoped smoking
  • Kati9408
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Best way to improve your running times is to follow a real actual running program.

Eating a well balanced diet and being "race weight" will help your times as well.

Supplements are overrated (and most of them are shams). I take a very limited amount that are very high quality (and expensive, gah) and they are to improve my overall nutrition which helps my body be more efficient. Does that directly relate to noticeable time improvements? Not really. Unless you are already an elite running athlete - your most effective way to decrease times is to follow a real personalized program from an experienced coach.

How much should be race weigh ? I am 163 sm
  • Kati9408
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    There are no supplements that will make you run faster, unless you are actually deficient in something your body needs. I take iron and vitamin D supplements because my blood tests showed insufficient levels of both. Otherwise, you just need to think about your training to make sure it will help you reach your goals.

I think that I also need iron because I often get dizzy. I take Mg+Calcium+vit.D of DoppelHerz