Trying to lose 15 pounds group and tips!!

Options
sarahpayton93
sarahpayton93 Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've got 15 pounds of happy weight to get rid of an it seems nearly impossible? I'm 5ft tall and i have nowhere to put extra weight!! I have a snacking problem!! I just started meal prepping for the week and workout out with some friends 5 times a week! Just needing some extra motivation and tips

Replies

• JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit and using a food scale for accuracy works. If diet pills actually worked there wouldn't be any fat people.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    My iron supplements work for my anemia.

But if you are asking about legal over-the-counter weight loss supplements, no, there aren't any that work.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Food scale + daily logging + adjusting calories to get into a deficit = weight loss. Resistance training (or lifting) + adequate protein = better body composition.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't expect a quick result!
    I have about the same amount until I reach my goal (have lost 15 already), and it's pretty slow going.

Evening snacks were a bit of a downfall for me, so personally I eat less in the morning, and save enough for a small snack (eg a piece of fruit).
    DH & I have started drinking a cup of tea in the evening, which has partially replaced other food habits. We might still have a biscuit with our tea (well, he will have 2 or 3, and I have learnt to stick with 1). If we're watching a movie, instead of reaching for a bag of chips, I will pop some popcorn.
    Planning snacks and meals for the day and pre-logging to make sure it fits can help too.
  • mmmorgan79
    mmmorgan79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose about 15 myself. Snacking is my nemesis. Just started Jamie Eason live fit trainer today. Hoping to lose the weight in 12 weeks
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Snacking can be good if you have healthy snacks in the right size ready to eat. I always save 100-200 calories to have later in the evening....a package of Thinsations works well for me, only 100 calories. I can't go to bed hungry so something like that works. Drink lots of water, weigh and measure your food for accuracy, and get active.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I'm about 15lbs from goal and it gets slow when you get close with so little to lose. Patience, a variety of work outs, and calorie counting are my tools
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree with some posters about it being a slow process. I'm also 5ft and I have been trying to lose 15 pounds, I'm 11 down, 4 to go but I've been doing this for 4-5 months, working out 5 days a week as well. Snacking isn't a problem, pick fruits, veggies and I like to make roasted chickpeas. For us smaller people it's about the amount of food to calories ratio that really matters.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've got 15 pounds of happy weight to get rid of an it seems nearly impossible? I'm 5ft tall and i have nowhere to put extra weight!! I have a snacking problem!! I just started meal prepping for the week and workout out with some friends 5 times a week! Just needing some extra motivation and tips

You sound very tiny. :) I have an aunt who is under 5 ft.

15 pounds is not much at all, but it will take awhile to lose because you have so little to lose. Set your goals up in MFP to lose .5 pounds a week, log everything you ingest, weight solids and measure liquids, and stay within your calorie goals.

You can work snacks into your calorie goals, just be sure to weigh them first.
  • cherylea1
    cherylea1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything before, nothing worked. Once I cut out everything, the pounds started dropping. I eat lean meat, eggs, veggies and minimal fruits just for a snack in between meals if I can't last. That's it! Nothing else. If you cut out sugar, dairy and all the "fake" foods, you'll start to improve your body and you'll feel much better.
    Hunting and harvesting! Let's go back to REAL food.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    cherylea1 wrote: »
    I've tried everything before, nothing worked. Once I cut out everything, the pounds started dropping. I eat lean meat, eggs, veggies and minimal fruits just for a snack in between meals if I can't last. That's it! Nothing else. If you cut out sugar, dairy and all the "fake" foods, you'll start to improve your body and you'll feel much better.

Cutting large amounts of food can make it difficult to get calories, which is probably why it has helped you cut weight. And out of curiosity, how is dairy not real food? It's a natural source of calories and things like Greek yogurt are great for protein and have lots of live cultures which help GI health.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me what "happy weight" is? Is it the same as excess bodyfat?
  • sarahpayton93
    sarahpayton93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lol I guess?? I usually weigh around 105-110 but in the past year got around 118-122 I know this doesn't sound like a lot but I am very short and I can see and feel the extra weight, I'm really wanting to tone up, feel good again, and fit into my jeans!!

• miladymarathoner
    miladymarathoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lol I guess?? I usually weigh around 105-110 but in the past year got around 118-122 I know this doesn't sound like a lot but I am very short and I can see and feel the extra weight, I'm really wanting to tone up, feel good again, and fit into my jeans!!

I'm basically in a similar place. I've definitely put on happy weight, and I'd like it to come off now. I'm hoping logging my food every day and adding exercise will take it off again.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Not necessary to cut out foods for weight loss.
    You cut calories...that caused your weight to drop.
    And food is food. Stop demonizing foods.

As for fake foods, you probably shouldn't have eaten those plastic food photography props...
    (Other than that, there is no fake food. Ridiculous).
  • psuLemon
    Options

If you want to tone up (meaning reducing body fat) then have a moderate deficit, eat a good amount of protein and lift.
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    You might have heard this already but water is so important! I aim to drink 2-3L a day
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I thought that was the case. My advice would be a slight caloric deficit, adequate protein, weightlifting and some patience. Just remember, you didn't gain the weight overnight so don't expect to lose it overnight.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

So I assume you're going out and hunting your lean meat yourself then, with a knife and a spear? And foraging for your vegatables and fruits. I imagine you'd have to cover quite the distance to get it all.