General discussion about Personal Trainers

Options
MzPix
MzPix Posts: 177 Member
I admit it. I spend money on a personal trainer when I can't really afford it. I want to make sure I am getting the best from my personal trainer, so I thought a public discussion might be informational. Knowledge is power.

I'm curious about others who have a trainer. Why did you choose to get one? Do you use your trainer all the time (like a certain number of times per week/month) or intermittently to amp up when you hit plateaus or just when you have the extra money?
Is it worth the cost? What service does your PT provide that you can't get for free? Does sex/gender matter? Does personality?
Did I leave out any important questions about PTs? Etc...

(By the way, if this discussion has already recently happened, please direct me to the correct thread. I'm still kind of noob here and haven't had as much time to browse as I'd like.)

Over the years I've had 4 different personal trainers. Most of them charge about $40-$55 per session in my area. (I don't know if that's high or low compared to other places?) I can also get PTs through the YMCA for $30-$35 per session, which is the route I have taken more recently. But I think the YMCA could offer more "deals," specials, coupons, bundled packages, etc.. and they would get more people engaging in personal training.

I choose to have a trainer for several reasons but the primary reason is because she keeps me motivated. I don't have much of a support system. I only have 2 close family members. Most of my friends are actually "fat friendly" and "size positive" so they aren't the most encouraging when it comes to weight loss. And I live alone.
If I know I have to show up at the gym to meet my trainer, I make myself go. I guess I feel accountable to her because I PAY her to hold ME accountable. It's part of her job.

Some other reasons include: She teaches me correct form. She lets me know if my form is poor or good, if I'm slacking or improving, things I can't measure with a scale. She pushes me harder than I would push myself. She acts as a buffer so I feel more confident going into areas of the gym I wouldn't venture alone. She teaches me new exercises and techniques.

I always thought I'd prefer a male trainer. I thought they would push me harder and that a female trainer would be judgmental.
I've found the opposite to be true. The males I've worked with actually seemed more judgmental. They also seemed more timid about tapping me physically to point out which muscles I should be feeling. My female trainers have no qualms about reaching over and touching me when they need to.
Also, the males seemed to use beauty as a reference point more. "Get into xyz swimsuit." "look good in a dress." "firm up the legs." Those kind of references. My female trainers seem more focused on my health. "Lower your sugar levels." "build endurance." "breathe better when taking the stairs." Stuff like that.
This was a surprising discovery. I will probably stick with female trainers because they encourage me to strive to be healthy (which is my goal) instead of pretty (which is not my goal).

Personality is important to me. I don't want a PT who is too nice to push me, but on the other hand, some sort of friendly banter is nice if I'm 6 inches away from someone for several hours a month.
I'm very happy with my current trainer. She pushes me just slightly more than I think I can actually do. She has a great sense of humor. She's professional and well focused. Goal oriented. Friendly. And down-to-earth.

Now the down side...
I don't seem to be losing any more weight with a trainer than I was on my own. So sometimes I feel like I am putting out hundreds of dollars on a novelty.

When money gets tight, I drop down to maybe 2-4 sessions a month, and sometimes I'll quit altogether. If I get a bonus I might increase to 2 sessions a week.

What do you all think of Personal Trainers? Yea? Nay?
I'm open to hearing all different views from facts to opinions.
Or if you want to offer criticism of personal training or just toot your own PT's horn.

Replies

• Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    I just recently started a personal trainer!!
    I love it! once a week for an hour I go and get my 'behinny kicked!'..she motivates me and offeres support and reassurance. Also, she has introduced me to the class she teaches on Fridays and i've been able to meet some excellent women and men who are loosing weight and getting healthy :).

I havne't noticed a huge weight loss yet..but it's only been four weeks for me :). It took me many years to put this weight on..getting it off the healthy way is going to take some time :)
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I adore my trainer. He is a guy and he never says awful things to me about beauty. He is encouraging and when I am about to give up, he will be my cheerleader and say, "only 5 more, great job, or great form." Mine will "trick" me into working hard sometimes but I love it. And if it is too hard, he will actually reduce my weights and/or help me just enough.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Well before I had my baby I had a new ACL put in my knee. That's when I got a personal trainer to go along with my physical therapy. I think they are great to a point. My personal trainer was this short petite little thing with lots of energy. She knew her stuff too and she organized my training around my physical therapy. I got one to show me how to straigthen that knee up and get a better core. (that's what my doctor and therapist said was key to helping me knee) I had for for 6 weeks and I learned a lot. After the six weeks I was done. She gave me the key concepts that I needed and the main ideas on what I needed to keep my knee feeling great. It was working too. Then I got pregnant.

So to answer your question,
    Yes I think personal trainers can be great. I don't think you need them forever. Once you feel you've got a great routine down with them and got the idea of what excercises you need to do then I'd say stop seeing the trainer and save your money (maybe for new outfits down the road). If you need the trainer for motivation...then try signing up for a class like Zumba or something, or get a friend to start going to the gym with you to hold you accountable for going. Plus its more fun to workout with a friend! :) I hope that helped :)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I saved the 70 bucks an hour this one trainer quoted me, gasp..............

I dont use one, I thought of using one, but Im lucky that I want to go everyday to the gym.........go figure, but I am the first one there, and work out 2 hours, sometimes 3, but I live one mile away........I am lucky in the sense that I am the incentive to be there..........Also, the 70 an hour helps

I watch their work outs with their customes that are my age ,and try to copy that as well..........I just watch them, then remeber what they did

also, A HUGE PET PEEVE ABOUT TRAINERS...........

Seems the 3 at my gym love to be on thier phones, internet or texting ALL the time......which turned me off to them

Im not saying all of them do it, but the ones I have seen working out with members LIVE on thiers, and that to me is wrong........

they always text friends while they are telling thier customers thier work outs.........again, I would not pay anyone 70 an hour to text their friends...........this was my main turn off with them, but again, this applies to the 3 at my gym., not trainers in general

I do Core now more than ever, and I am doing yoga, its free and included in my membership, so all what I have learned as well as yoga has paid off.................Lloyd
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've been working with the same trainer since January of this year. I actually interviewed a few before I picked one. I KNOW in my heart I wouldn't have stuck with this as well had I not had her as my additional accountability. I could probably drop her now, but I don't want to. I look forward to being pushed by her past what I would do on my own.

When I started, we did one hour sessions twice a week. I was to supplement that with at least three 30 minute workouts on the other 5 days. She also looked at my food diary every week, and we set not only fitness, but nutritional goals. Now, I am down to one personal session per week, and one group boot camp. Saves me money, and I get the benefit of the group workout - which is a lot different! I'm close to my first goal, so not sure what I'll do when I get there. I budget for her now, so I may just keep up the 1 session per week to stay on track. We'll see.

I worked at a YMCA for over 10 years. It depends on the Y, but I found that most of hte trainers were not well trained, had limited experience, and were just there to earn a buck. They didn't seem to genuinely care about their clients. The Y here just canned a bunch of their experienced trainers for less experienced ones becuase the Y can take a bigger cut of the hourly rate.
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    bump
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Hiya

I have a personal trainer, i pay £40 an hour and to be honest i wish i hired him 2 years ago when i started getting fat. It is very much to my advantage that hes a nutritionist as well so he can tell me what i should eat before i work out and after and he is realistic. He pushes me soooo hard i feel sick and dread seeing him next but i notice that every week i can run that little bit futher or lunge that little bit lower.

I am not working towards weight loss but more size loss. That is the plan, to slim down. hes not awkward about measuring round my thigh or waist and he even stretches me out at the end of our session. Its strictly professional and i dont think anything pervy of it especially as im a sweaty smelly mess at this point. Hes exreamly encouraging and motivating and even though i only see him once a week, hes in contact with me whenever i need advice.

Best money i ever spent i reckon. I hired him because i had no idea what to do! i had a gym membership and didnt really know what machines worked best for me. i also needed that extra push where i would normally stop, he kept me going. hes changed my eating habits and way of life really.

iv only had him for 5 weeks now and i feel like i have come a long way. people are noticing my strength and my moods have lifted.

Every trainer is different. i guess im one of the lucky ones who got a decent one.

Good luck with yours xxx
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I needed a trainer to learn how to properly do strength training. I knew the weight machines were doing me little good. I can't afford to meet with him several times a week - so instead, I've decided to go every other week. He designs a new 50 minute program for me which I repeat three times a week until we meet again and I learn a new program.

I would never have known how to do this work, and how to do it properly, without him. I hope to continue the every other week 60 minute sessions for awhile, until I'm in better shape, know a litany of exercises in proper form, and can take over on my own.

Training has kept me motivated and I'm not getting bored in the gym...same cardio, every day, same nearly worthless weight machines. Now my strength training sessions kick my butt in a good way. I'm really glad I made this choice.
  • sparkle1014
    Options
    I had a personal trainer for about two weeks. Through the gym, 24 Hour Fitness, the rate was about $45. After attending several classes that the gym offerred, I noticed that I was burning just as much, if not more calories. I really had to think about it. I'm paying my gym fees along with trainer fees? RIDICULOUS!!! Make the gym work for you. I agree with "tlcak" that you should use personal trainers for a certain amount of time and move on. Motivating yourself can be hard when others around you aren't necessarily eating healthy but you can do it if you're truly determined to get it off and keep it off!!!! BEST WISHES!
  • adobmeier
    adobmeier Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think trainers are worth the money. But I am 24 and really do not have the funds for one. Instead I do what is called "group training" at my gym. It is about 8 women who all work out together with one trainer. Not only is it a great workout I have made a lot of friends through it.
    I have only ever had males trainers and I like how they push me. So I would have to say I perfer men but it may be because that is all I know.
    The cost of group training works out to be $10 a sesson, so total upfront was $150 two times a week.

I dont know what kind of trainers you go to but mine are somewhat "biggest loser style" we are rarely just lifting weights there is usually much more involved this may be why you are not seeing the results you want. When it comes down to it I have found that it is usually about doing more cardio to get to the next fitness level.

Hope this helps!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Well, all I have to say is....'a girl's gotta eat.' If it is motivation that you need, then you are in good company. My greatest concern is that you have expressed not being able to afford it and that can be stressful.... especially if you are putting it on a credit card - I don't know that you are. I believe that your wellness includes your finances.

I have had great results with workout videos. Maybe you should try building your own collection?

As far as the accountability..... if you post 'I don't feel like working out today'.... you better believe all of your MFP friends will motivate you to go and just do it. Eventually, you will not need that anymore....

All the best for you and keep on!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I love my PT. My rate was $30 per half an hour. When i joined my gym i had a free 1/2 session w/a trainer and he basically asked me why i joined the gym and what i wanted out of it. i told him that i wanted to be a better runner, lose body fat and to use my lunch time efficiently. With that he gave me a free 1/2 session that basically kicked my butt. I signed up with a trainer but due to my $ situation i only went to him once a week. but in those sessions he basically taught me different circuits, with wgts, without wgts, machines to make my lunch time workouts effective. I stopped seeing him after a year and i hit a plateau. my trainer was still there to help me change my diet and change my exercise routines that in a month went past my plateau. Im not afraid to ask the trainers different questions when it comes to exercise and nutrtion, thats what they are there for and they always been very helpful

i try to work out as hard as i can at the gym since all the other trainers see me and i dont want my old trainer to think that all his hard work went to sh&t! I would have loved to work with him more often, but im not rich and he has taught me a lot over the year.

Yes a trainer pushes you and makes you accountable, but afterwards that 'push' and 'accountability' has to come from you not from another person.

I hope this helps
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    She gave me the key concepts that I needed and the main ideas on what I needed to keep my knee feeling great. It was working too. Then I got pregnant.

Wow...that's a new personal training service I never thought of before.....unfortunately, most of my clients are WAY past needing that.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I've been working with my PT for 18mos and love her!!! I started using her because my gym membership came with 3 free training sessions and one of the staff in the gym recommended her as an expert in weight loss. We did our 3 freebies and since then I have seen her one a week. I pay £30 a session (an hour).

The reasons she is great:
    - she motivates me and never lets me quit
    - she listens to me and my problems and encourages me to find other ways of coping with them instead of turning to my old methods of eating everything in the house.
    - she makes me realise just how much I can do
    - she constantly challenges me to be better - recentyl we did a 5k together as a challenge.

She is worth her weight in gold. I know for me that if it wasn't for her I wouldn't have lost the weight I have lost as she continues to push me. She watches when I am in the gym (even if she's not training me) and that pushes me to work as hard as possible. She is always at the end of an email - I will email her to get through certain things that would previously drive me to emotional eating. Her network of friends at the gym (other PT's) all compliment and encourage me.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options

Now the down side...
    I don't seem to be losing any more weight with a trainer than I was on my own. So sometimes I feel like I am putting out hundreds of dollars on a novelty.

I use a personal trainer for most of the reasons you listed above (2x/week). I've had better luck with female ones, but I did have one male PT that helped me greatly recover from an IT band injury while improving my fitness and correcting strength imbalances.

I would like to point out that for the past year, I worked with two of the best trainers that I have ever worked with and I lost and gained back the same four pounds. On the positive side, I got stronger, healthier, more toned. So... why didn't I lose weight?

**** It is 80 - 90% nutrition!!! **** If you want to see better weight loss results, you need to look at the overall number of calories as well as the nutritional quality of your calories. Your trainer can not loose the weight for you. Although I was eating fairly healthy, I was just eating too much and eating in restaurants too often. It is actually through my PT that I learned of MFP and now that I'm tracking my calories I'm seeing great weight loss and my toned muscles underneath the fat are finally beginning to reveal themselves.

I'm very supportive of folks using personal trainers (yes, it is expensive, but it is an investment in your health and I would recommend cutting back in other areas, like cable tv, restaurant meals, etc. ) with the following caveats:

1) check their certifcation and get educated on what different certifications mean

2) find one that you enjoy spending time with - personality matters!

3) you need to feel safe and that you are in good hands - notice if their attention is 100% on you and watching your form, giving you feedback, etc. and not looking at themselves in the mirror and socializing with others as you do your sets (or checking email - I had one do this once!!)

4) have the right expectations and fully commit to the nutrition and lifestyle changes that you need to do to meet your goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Being a Certified PT myself, here's what I tell people: if you're achieving your goals with the info you can get for free, you don't need a trainer. If you find yourself unmotivated, unknowledgeble and are "stuck" then a PT can help you.

Personally, I don't advocate dieting because anyone can diet for a few weeks and lose weight if they cut out the stuff they love to eat. Problem is they gain all the weight back when they eat "regular" again. I just have clients tell me what they eat, then show them how to just portion it and counter the calories with exercise or activity. Since doing it this way, I rarely have clients regain back the initial weight they lost while working with me.

Pick a trainer with your best interests at hand. It's not how they think you should look, or feel, but how you want to look or feel. You can take suggestions from them, but don't leave it to the trainer to decide a program that doesn't help you achieve what you're trying to.

Ex. you don't like to run or jog. But this trainer insists that you do it. While that may work while with them, will you do it after your sessions are over? Probably not. So the trainer should find something comparable to running. While I'm not a big Zumba guy, many of my clients love it so I encourage them to take it as much as they can.

Another thing I do is email all my clients weekly for motivation, especially right before the weekend since this is where everyone's demise happens. Just a quick email like, "Weekend is here! Remember why we train and why you hired me and that's to guide you to better health and fitness...........so don't blow it this weekend!"

I'm sure there's more, but that's just some of what I think you should look for in a good PT.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bumping to reply later...I *LOVE* my PT
  • jwilliams24AA
    Options
    I use a PT generally for 1/2 hour each week. He also is an instructor and I attend three or four of his classes each week. He tends to push me further and show me how much I can lift, or how much I can run....It helps me adjust the remainder of my week when I see that he has enough confidence in me to meet certain expectations.

I will say that I also feel that he is invested in how I do and I think that helps me push along as well.