Looking for healthier "hot dogs" - where can I find them?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    I like tofu pups or smart dogs...they have a fair amount of protein and aren't made out of entrails.

Offal is good for you.

Tofu dogs are junk and filled with garbage like soy.

Garbage is a relative term, but personally, I don't like eating intestines and connective tissue. Some people do.

Aren't you a vegetarian?

I'm not much on hot dogs, other than for occasions as mentioned above, but I see no reason to decide that offal is off limits. Ideally one would eat as much of an animal as possible. I've enjoyed dishes with tripe, after all, and although I haven't yet had the opportunity I'd certainly try haggis.

Agree with the post about the food moralizing from all directions being a bit out of control. Makes my moralizing against ketchup look mild, yay!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Oy with the food moralizing in this thread. It's going every which way!

Fun times.

So much this. Smh

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I like tofu pups or smart dogs...they have a fair amount of protein and aren't made out of entrails.

Offal is good for you.

Garbage is a relative term, but personally, I don't like eating intestines and connective tissue. Some people do.

Aren't you a vegetarian?

I'm not much on hot dogs, other than for occasions as mentioned above, but I see no reason to decide that offal is off limits. Ideally one would eat as much of an animal as possible. I've enjoyed dishes with tripe, after all, and although I haven't yet had the opportunity I'd certainly try haggis.

Agree with the post about the food moralizing from all directions being a bit out of control. Makes my moralizing against ketchup look mild, yay!

Yes, however, if you look at the nutritional information (ignoring pseduoscience) it's clear that tofu hotdog is a more nutritional alternative than say your run of the mill BarS dog. And lets not lie, when people get hot dogs it's usually the cheapest ones.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Offal is good for you.

Aren't you a vegetarian?

Yes, however, if you look at the nutritional information (ignoring pseduoscience) it's clear that tofu hotdog is a more nutritional alternative than say your run of the mill BarS dog. And lets not lie, when people get hot dogs it's usually the cheapest ones.

Not these people. I spend on my dogs when I buy them.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Offal is good for you.

Look, if you're a vegetarian like I am, you should respect that they're utilizing all of the animal instead of wasting it.

There's really no need to throw shade on this coming from your perspective, just like there was no need for that other poster to throw shade on soy.

And @lemurcat12, I'd like a word with you about ketchup :p
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Offal is good for you.

Aren't you a vegetarian?

Soy dogs are a ridiculously processed food that are high in sodium and only have middling protein and to state that all people buying hot dogs are only buying the cheapest is a very weak argument to try to position yourself in some sort of superior stance.

Honestly, I'm a vegetarian and I'm finding it really hard to identify myself as one in this thread with you saying stuff like this.

This kind of posturing gives the rest of us a bad name.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ooh, making my own sounds like a fantastic idea!
  • Katherinewalters8
    Katherinewalters8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Publix has veggie hotdogs in the produce department.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you're going to have a hot dog once per year or something I really wouldn't fuss about it too much...just eat whatever hot dog you like...

Personally, I'd opt for a nice bratwurst, but that's just me.

This.