half marathon

Options
Im new to running and wondering wanting to do a half marathon in Feb. Im looking for advice on proper diet to keep losing weight but to also properly prepare for my upcoming run. Recipes and recommended calorie intake would be greatly helpful. Thanks in advance

Replies

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the board.

New to running? The usual progression is to run 5Ks, 10Ks and the like before jumping to a half. Which running plan are you following? Diet won't get you 13.1 miles.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    how long have you been a runner? how many miles do you currently run in a week? How much weight do you wish to lose between now and race day?

I started running in May 2016 and ran my first half in October. I lost roughly 55-60lbs during those 5 months. Towards the race I purposely leveled off my weight loss and concentrated on getting in food to make sure I was as healthy as I could be. I don't have a diet plan I just ate less than I used.
  • iwzobie
    iwzobie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've done few 2k and 5ks. I take my dogs out jogging/walking few times a week, usually 5-8miles at a time. I'm not worried about a set amount of weight lose, looking to aid my advancement and make sure I'm eating properly for my goal
  • sharunza
    sharunza Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are not looking to race the half for a fantastic time, but instead have a goal of finishing strong, you don't need to change your diet, imo. Just make sure that on your long run days you allow yourself a bit more salt and sugar (such as Gatorade) during your run. You have plenty of time to experiment with what feels good as far as what you eat and when you eat around your running.

Many runners fall into a trap of feeling hungry after a run and end up eating more calories than they actually burned. You can mitigate this by eating a bit before the run and staying hydrated. If you feel that you are bonking on your runs, or if you feel sluggish or fatigued during the week, add a small snack.

The week before the half, people like to talk about carb loading; I recommend keeping the calorie intake the same, but increasing the percentage of carbs.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    how long have you been a runner? how many miles do you currently run in a week? How much weight do you wish to lose between now and race day?

I started running in May 2016 and ran my first half in October. I lost roughly 55-60lbs during those 5 months. Towards the race I purposely leveled off my weight loss and concentrated on getting in food to make sure I was as healthy as I could be. I don't have a diet plan I just ate less than I used.

I could have written this exact same story, except for me it was in 2015 and I 'only' lost 50 pounds in the process.

I then ran my first full marathon the following May.

OP, there's no magic diet. Burn more calories than you consume and you'll lose weight. Burning calories through exercise has the same effect as eating less, calorie per calorie.

Good luck!
  • iwzobie
    iwzobie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just want to make sure I'm consuming the right calories to further my progress
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    iwzobie wrote: »
    I just want to make sure I'm consuming the right calories to further my progress

Use the data you already have from your weight loss so far. Aim to lose 0.5lb to 1lb per week and make sure you fuel your long runs.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Use the data you already have from your weight loss so far. Aim to lose 0.5lb to 1lb per week and make sure you fuel your long runs.

^Ditto to this. You also need to be careful about getting enough fuel for long runs so you don't end up fatigued, that can screw up with training and lead to injuries.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've done few 2k and 5ks. I take my dogs out jogging/walking few times a week, usually 5-8miles at a time. I'm not worried about a set amount of weight lose, looking to aid my advancement and make sure I'm eating properly for my goal

If you're already running 8 miles you won't have any issues about getting to HM in the time available.

Just eat food, don't bother with anything special. You'll establish what works for you, and what doesn't.