Modified burpees?

Options
kscutie
kscutie Posts: 32 Member
I'm ordered Turbo Fire and will be starting that soon. I watched a few reviews on youtube about it and noticed one gal doing burpees.

I have a bad low-back and am not sure that I'd be able to do a burpee without popping something outta place.
Any ideas for a modified version?

thanks!

Replies

• Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I've done a few of the Turbo Fire workouts. I don't remember what the modification for them is, but there is a person doing low impact modifications on the right of Chalene that you can follow.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    we have a girl in boot camp that can't do them the 'normal' way. My trainer has her squat down, then step each leg back one at at time to the plank position, then back in one at a time, stand, squat, repeat. So instead of the 'thrust' part, it looks more like a low mountain climber. Good luck!
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    There is a person to follow for low impact moves. I believe they just do a squat instead. Good luck! :heart: TurboFire!!!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't think a bad lower back and Turbo Fire mix well :indifferent:
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    At CrossFit they tell us to do a push up and then step up onto a step and that counts as one modified burpee! =) Hope you are able to do that! Good luck dear.
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    And if flynntiggr's idea is still too much, just do knee bends (squat), stand, to jumping jack. The idea is to get moving anyway. We can modify it however we want!!
  • kangababy
    kangababy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would do Mountain Climbers.. It will give you the same elevated heart rate without hurting your back.

If you have a bad lower back though I would have to agree with Angela4Health. I am not usre that Turbofire is right for you.
    Have you had your back checked out by a doctor? I would try to strengthen it first...
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    we have a girl in boot camp that can't do them the 'normal' way. My trainer has her squat down, then step each leg back one at at time to the plank position, then back in one at a time, stand, squat, repeat. So instead of the 'thrust' part, it looks more like a low mountain climber. Good luck!

That's exactly how they do it in the Nike training club examples. They work you up to a full burpee in later workouts, and if you want to step things up without killing your back, do a little hop when you come to standing. I'm ALL about modification! I mean, either way, your heart rate stays up and you're strengthening your arms and abs.
  • sparkle1014
    Options
    SQUATS!!!!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm ordered Turbo Fire and will be starting that soon. I watched a few reviews on youtube about it and noticed one gal doing burpees.

I have a bad low-back and am not sure that I'd be able to do a burpee without popping something outta place.
    Any ideas for a modified version?

thanks!

If you have a bad lower back then you should avoid burpees for now. Any type of exercise that puts a heavy load on your lower back needs to be completely avoided.

Not trying to scare you here, but back in April I tried burpees for the first time. I too have a bad lower back and at the time I unknowingly had tight hamstrings, quads, and thoracic muscles. After doing about 12-15 burpees I was in a lot of pain. I was completely unable to stand or walk the next day. I had to get an MRI to see if I herniated a disc and go on several medications for about 3 weeks. Also needed physical therapy for about 6 weeks. In other words, it was a major set back.

Fortunately I was able to overcome the set back and now I'm on a much better path. My advice is to look for ways to strengthen your core without putting a load on your lower back and spend a lot of time stretching your hamstrings / quads.
  • kscutie
    Options
    Thanks! One of the things i'm working on is stretching/strenghtening hamstring, quads, hip flexors, etc.
  • kscutie
    Options
    Thanks Kangababy -

I have had it checked out many many times....it's gotten a bit better over the years but technically nothing is "wrong" with it.
    I sorta think it's a combination of muscle imbalences which pulls vertabraes out of place.

I hope this workout is doable for me. I chose it becuase people were saying it's a great core workout.
  • kscutie
    Options
    And if flynntiggr's idea is still too much, just do knee bends (squat), stand, to jumping jack. The idea is to get moving anyway. We can modify it however we want!!

Thanks, that's a great idea!
  • kscutie
    Options
    I don't think a bad lower back and Turbo Fire mix well :indifferent:

Ut oh, I'm a little worried now. I'll let you know how it goes! I