Petite women and/or hypothyroid: Is anyone else trying to stay under 800 calories per day?

Options
I have been battling my weight since childhood. I finally had gastric bypass surgery in 2008. After a ton of stressful events, and having my thyroid removed, I started gaining again. I am realizing that I just can not eat the recommended calories per day like the average person - my metabolism just isn't cooperating. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Get your med levels checked. It shouldn't be this hard. I don't have a thyroid either, but with my meds properly adjusted weight loss isn't harder than for anyone else. You're eating half the number of calories that I do.
  • CalmtheCharitydown
    CalmtheCharitydown Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My meds are checked regularly. I was not losing until I dropped my calories. I also feel better throughout the day.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Unless you are on a medically supervised diet I will not recommend you to stick to under 800 calories as you'll risk malnutrition. I will advice you to speak with your doctor and a dietitian.
  • CalmtheCharitydown
    Options
    My gastric bypass doctor recommended it, actually. I am not quite 5' tall.
  • CalmtheCharitydown
    Options
    I was just looking for others who also stick by 800 calories, for some support.
  • TreyTnt9
    TreyTnt9 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was just looking for others who also stick by 800 calories, for some support.

If you're looking for group support for under 800 calorie diet, unfortunately you won't find it on MFP. And, if you are gaining fat on more than 800 calories, don't see a Dr. You need to consult a Physicist. Because you are breaking a basic law of physics by creating more mass with less than equivalent energy. Which Albert Einstein said was impossible.
  • CalmtheCharitydown
    Options
    That doesn't even make sense. A smaller person needs fewer calories. Why is everyone being so defensive? I can't be the only one this is true for. Every person's metabolism is different.

'And, if you are gaining fat on more than 800 calories...' Of course I would gain fat eating more calories than I need/burn during a day.
  • FitLaughLove
    FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hey I'm in the same boat as you! I'm not on meds for my thyroid but I am a very petite girl. Mfp says I should lose 2lbs per week if I eat 1200 calories.. Yeah that's like my maintenance. I try to stick between 800 and 1000 because of my small frame. I don't need as much food as the average sized person. If you think about it, we are doing the same type of deficit as everyone else. It's just a scary number to most people because most people are almost twice our size therefore they need twice the amount of energy. I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this but it's just my opinion!! And I know my body and feel great doing what I do! Feel free to add me!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    That doesn't even make sense. A smaller person needs fewer calories. Why is everyone being so defensive? I can't be the only one this is true for. Every person's metabolism is different.

'And, if you are gaining fat on more than 800 calories...' Of course I would gain fat eating more calories than I need/burn during a day.

You should work within the confines of your doctor to seek a medically supervised weight loss program. Your doctor can assist you with metabolic issues if you have them and recommend the best approach that is safe and healthy for you to lose weight.

And people are not getting defensive. Its against the rules to promote VLCD on these forums. It is remotely possible the mods will close or move this thread.
  • leighsnow
    leighsnow Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sweets, please don't feel attacked, you're right that we all have different needs but 800 is really low even for someone your size. With your age and height but not knowing your current weight, here are some examples of where you want to be calorie-wise to lose fat and these examples would work if you are doing little to no exercise: If you are 120lbs you would need 1091 calories for fat loss, 130 lb you would need 1135 calories, 150 lbs you would need 1222 calories and if you are 200 lb you would need 1600 calories. I am petite, 5'3" and it is often hard for us women to accept but we NEED calories to both burn calories/fat and to just 'be'. Having enough calories has been all the difference in the world for me and not only do I feel better, I have the energy I need to exercise to strengthen and change my body. I peaked at your diary and you are eating good food, try increasing it or zig zag your calories and you will be surprised. Free dieting has a great zig zag calculator and other calculators to help set you on a the right track. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I understand your pain, OP. I am disabled and can/should only eat 800 for weight loss, as I am a tiny 4'7". Sadly I also know (the hard way) that this kind of topic isn't allowed here.
  • CalmtheCharitydown
    Options
    Hey I'm in the same boat as you! I'm not on meds for my thyroid but I am a very petite girl. Mfp says I should lose 2lbs per week if I eat 1200 calories.. Yeah that's like my maintenance. I try to stick between 800 and 1000 because of my small frame. I don't need as much food as the average sized person. If you think about it, we are doing the same type of deficit as everyone else. It's just a scary number to most people because most people are almost twice our size therefore they need twice the amount of energy. I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this but it's just my opinion!! And I know my body and feel great doing what I do! Feel free to add me!

Thank you for 'getting' it! I am realizing that this just isn't understood on this site, generally speaking, but this is what I wanted - people who have come to the same realization. :)

@zcb94 , too. :)
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    you're not the only one.most people don't understand that 1200cals minimum recommendation is for the average person. my height is not that of the average person, i have hypothyroidism and pcos, so i eat between 800-900cal. a day.my blood tests all came out great, i feel great, i have no malnutrition issues, no weakness, no dizziness no side effects, and i have been doing this for 12 months now, losing 34kilos in the process.i still have 9.5 kilos to go and i'm starting to notice that it's getting harder to lose the weight. i don't plan on reducing my calories any further, i just don't eat back my exercise calories.

According to online calculations: "Your Maintenance Calories 1,358 calories per day
    These macronutrient values reflect your cutting calories of 858 calories per day, which is a 500 calorie per day deficit from your maintenance of 1,358 calories per day.
    Moderate Carb Maintenance (30/35/35) 64g protein,33g fats,75g carbs"
  • CalmtheCharitydown
    edited October 2016
    Options
    In the past, when I've hit a plateau, people have suggested that I need to start eating more calories. That always backfires, and I end up gaining, rather than jump starting the weight loss again. That's another thing; I never try to make up for the exercise, either. That's the whole point of the exercise, in my opinion - to add to the reduction/burning of calories. (That, and the obvious other physical/mental benefits.)
This discussion has been closed.