Objectively successful ... but the brain is not yet there?

Options
I am 5'9" and down from a high of 284 lbs to my current 191 (and losing). It's clear that I have lost weight ... I am down from a sz. 24 pants to a 12 and just bought some dresses in a medium in a brand I used to be an XXL. People are commenting all the time about how good I am looking, which makes me both proud and uncomfortable.

But ... my brain is not quite there. I still reach for larger sizes on the racks. I expect to have trouble fitting into things. I ordered a jacket on Amazon that came today. I almost cried when unwrapping it because it looked so small that I was sure it wouldn't fit, but hubby told me to try it on and it fit perfectly. Then I almost cried again! I am holding onto my "fat" clothes even though I have steadily lost for a year+ and have truly changed my lifestyle. When does the brain catch up? Lol

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I still do the same thing and it seems to be very common from what I read on here. So...fear not, you're not alone.
  • mhassard384
    mhassard384 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been at the journey/maintenance for about 4 years and I'm just starting to have a general idea of what my body size is according to the clothing sizes. But truthfully although some people refer to me as "skinny" my brain def says NOOOO
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. Twice this week, I told the treadmill I weigh 250 pounds...because that's what I weighed for 15 years!! It takes a while...
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I agree with you it's hard for the brain to catch up with the body and that seems to be a very common thread on this website. For me I still haven't caught up and it's been 3 months at least. One time I walked into a public bathroom and I saw my reflection in the mirror and I said what the hell is wrong with the mirror and then I realized it that's the new me and my brain couldn't process it.

As far as the fat clothes get rid of them. I've purged about 95% of my wardrobe and yes it does hurt financially but it's sort of recommit into the fact that this is the way you're going to be from now on. I just came off a vacation and I have a lot of golf shirts and I realized I'm going to have to change all of them eventually, they're all an XXL size and I can either go with a large or an extra large depending on the manufacturer
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    Get rid of the fat clothes. You NEVER want to wear them again. :)

I think I am ready to do this. My boss actually told me to go buy new clothes. Lol
    Perhaps a weekend clothes purge will help!!
  • hrod215
    hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I grab a familiar size at the store and when I go to try it on its like someone is pranking me and replacing the clothes with much larger sizes. I'm currently wearing a small and 4/6 which I can't remember when was the last time I wore that size so my brain just isnt ready to get on the bandwagon. As much as I hate mirrors I find its the best way to help your brain catch up to the rest of your fabulous self. It's OK to admire yourself, you worked hard for it!
  • thepawn1
    thepawn1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I still can't believe I fit into a large when I hold it up and look at it.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I hear this often...and wonder if those who suffer from this don't look in the mirror much or go shopping trying on clothes.
    My suggestion is to purge your closet of clothes that don't fit..after trying them on and looking in the mirror. Then start going window shopping on your down time. Go into dressing rooms and try on clothes.. your brain will catch up real fast when you see yourself in a variety of clothes in a size 12 or 10... You don't have to buy them.. just try them on.

• thepawn1
    thepawn1 Posts: 39 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I look in the mirror every morning getting ready for the day and have been shopping multiple times a week picking out a new wardrobe (and I've fully pruned my wardrobe of "big" clothes, multiple times). I still am not used to it yet. Being overweight for 25+ years, it takes a bit of programming to re-adjust. I think I look awesome in my new clothes, but in actual shopping, it still happens that I pick up sizes that are too big for me unless I'm carefully thinking about it.
  • Koljandertjie69
    Koljandertjie69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Best Buff, I do believe in giving away clothing one haven't worn in a year and won't wear in the next year. Obviously their are people that need it more than I do. So I'm organizing my house and discover a few items size 22, I just couldn't believe I was so huge. I kept one pants to remind myself never to be that big again and gave all the others away. I think accepting your healthy you has also to do with loving yourself... Take care and best of luck on your journey.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I'm in a Size 10 from a tight 16 and still do a lot of the things everyone is describing above. My mind has not caught up.
    I do know one thing- you look better in clothes that fit! It is more flattering to wear clothing that is your size-not your favorite gray/black/blue stretched out sweatshirt that was comfy EVEN BEFORE you lost weight. I know it's so hard to give up the comfort clothes but one of the reasons we do this is to LOOK better. And no one is achieving that in baggy, frumpy clothes!
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »
    I'm in a Size 10 from a tight 16 and still do a lot of the things everyone is describing above. My mind has not caught up.
    I do know one thing- you look better in clothes that fit! It is more flattering to wear clothing that is your size-not your favorite gray/black/blue stretched out sweatshirt that was comfy EVEN BEFORE you lost weight. I know it's so hard to give up the comfort clothes but one of the reasons we do this is to LOOK better. And no one is achieving that in baggy, frumpy clothes!

I think you are so right! A few weeks ago, I bought a tshirt. When I got it home, I looked at it and said it was too big. My husband persuaded me to try it on. To me, it was tight, but I kept it on, and he talked to me about how I should start wearing better fitting clothes because they're more flattering.

Since then, I've been on a bit of a t-shirt buying bender :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and down from a high of 284 lbs to my current 191 (and losing). It's clear that I have lost weight ... I am down from a sz. 24 pants to a 12 and just bought some dresses in a medium in a brand I used to be an XXL. People are commenting all the time about how good I am looking, which makes me both proud and uncomfortable.

But ... my brain is not quite there. I still reach for larger sizes on the racks. I expect to have trouble fitting into things. I ordered a jacket on Amazon that came today. I almost cried when unwrapping it because it looked so small that I was sure it wouldn't fit, but hubby told me to try it on and it fit perfectly. Then I almost cried again! I am holding onto my "fat" clothes even though I have steadily lost for a year+ and have truly changed my lifestyle. When does the brain catch up? Lol

It can take months or years! After you try a few more clothes you're sure won't fit but do, your brain will start to get the message. It takes a long time to change our self-perception, just keep working on it! I hope you saved a few XXL clothes, so you can try them on again for comparison!
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've been buying cheap t-shirts from the Walmart juniors section to get me by until I'm finished shrinking. I'm in a large now and I still hold them up when I go to get dressed and my brain insists it won't fit. They look so small. Then I put it on and there's room to spare...it's baffling to me.

I've just come to the conclusion that my brain is a filthy liar, so I try everything on before I buy, and I make sure to grab the size I think I wear and the one smaller. Usually the smaller one fits.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yup, I do this all the time, too.

Just this week I had to return a jacket because I couldn't originally wrap my head around the fact I needed a medium (I bought a large, which is still much smaller than the XXL I used to wear).
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Almost 3 years down from a 20/22 to 2/4 still not comfortable with ordering clothes in my size and still don't get it when someone I think is smaller than me wears a larger size than me. Rest assured that at some point the novelty of it will wear off.

Though I would personally suggest getting rid of the large clothes. I recently changed my routine and my clothes don't fit the way they used to, not having any other options but getting my butt in gear I will be working harder to get things back to where I want them to be.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am still struggling with how I look also and its almost a year. I often have to look twice in the mirror to recognize myself...and I agree with everyone else, get rid of the clothes :)
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the comments - glad to know I am not alone. I am going to rock my form-fitting size M dress tomorrow and stare at myself in every reflective surface I pass! LOL ... and take some pics. I find it easier to grasp when I see pics compared to a mirror for some reason.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!