Biggest advice from people who have lost 50+lbs

Options
13»

Replies

• Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The thing that helped me the most was setting small goals instead of looking at the whole amount of weight to lose.
    Also, eliminating drinks with calories. Water is your friend. :)
    Lastly...slow and steady wins the race. It took me a couple years to finally get where i wanted. Just keep going...don't set a time limit.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. If you fail to plan-you plan to fail. Track everything, weigh everything, measure everything, be patient with yourself, and pray alot. For wisdom, strength, and for great and comitted MFP friends that will support and tell you the truth. Good luck in your weight lost journeys.
  • BarbaraJatmfp
    BarbaraJatmfp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Track your food. There is no easy or fast way to lose it.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Save this thread,read it often. Motivation needs to come from your own self.
    Pick & choose what works for you
    because in the long run,that is the only thing that works for You.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. One choice at a time. One pound at a time.
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Keep yourself hydrated, water is SO important. I aim to drink 2-3L a day.
  • debrahbeger
    debrahbeger Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very common saying, but I use it all the time "A moment on the lips... forever on the hips". When I want to give into a craving I just remember it is only satisfying for a few minutes... but the consequences last. I am an emotional eater so this really helps when I am stressed and try to turn to food for comfort.
  • roamingmum
    roamingmum Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For me it was breaking down the maths of weight loss, the realisation that broadly speaking losing a pound of fat requires a 3500 calorie deficit. Clearly my previous attempts at dieting which included jumping on the scales to see how many pounds I'd lost in a day was just ridiculous.
    I had started 10,000 steps per day walking challenge with some colleagues and decided a genuine long term manageable lifestyle change was the answer. A steady half pound per week loss would mean a daily calorie deficit of just 250 calories. I downloaded MFP and honestly entered my daily input and output. Then I trusted in the maths and only weighed myself once every 6 weeks.
    In the end I lost an average of 1 1/2 lb per week reaching my target and then losing a further 12lb within 9 months. I have lost approximately 55lb and have maintained it for 3 months.
    I feel my lifestyle has genuinely changed this time, I never touch 'diet food' and never deny myself something if I want it but the very act of checking and entering the calories before eating the cake gives me time to decide if I really want the trade off.
    I think MFP is great, it helps you understand what real healthy portions over a day should look like.
  • virginiashannon
    virginiashannon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is no miracle solution, and this is hard work! You need to determine your WHY, on why you want to do this and make that your motivation. So when I start to slip I always remember my why and I seem to get back right on track. Many people diet, and diet's dont work as this really has to be a lifestyle change.

I personally have lost 59 lbs within 6 months. The regimen that works for me, that made this successful is.......I track literally everything (good or bad). Along with doing a minimum of 150 minutes exercise a week (usually more, the last two days I got in 305 minutes). Since the food we eat no longer gives us the nutrition that we need, I supplement my diet everyday with a Nutrition Drink (No, it is not a Fad Diet) along with doing a Detox tea once a week. I do this especially because the foods we eat no longer contain the nutrition that we need (Proven fact), and we need to be able to supplement it in another way. If you treat your body right and provide it what it needs, it will treat you right!

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Oh so many, but the mindset that made it work for me this time was not beating myself up for a bad meal, a bad day or a bad week...and not labeling any foods as off limits.

When I started, I was pretty strict and about a month in I had pizza, I was not happy with myself and thought my personal trainer would be upset with me. he wasn't, he looked at me and said "Is it realistic that you will never have pizza again, figure out how to work it in if you want it"