Any crossfitters out there?

Options
124»

Replies

• BarbelGirl79
    BarbelGirl79 Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I started CF in March and thought I would like it and felt like a bad *kitten* the first few times :)
    But the more I went the less I liked it. It seemed I was the only super unfit person in my class. Huffing and puffing already after the warm up, but I was not giving up. I also have super tight hamstrings and hip flexors which did not make it easier...
    I like the strengthening part of it, but was dreading all cardio parts as I got the feeling, nobody wanted to team up with me (as they would get a low score/time; so much for the community factor!). I also had one coach role his eyes on me once, when I asked for a scale down alternative. He thought I would not notice, but it totally discouraged me.

So I tried to suck it up and go faster and probably heavier than I should, with the result, that I hurt my lower back. I am not sure yet if I want to go back to CF once I get the green light from my chiropractor.

P.S. I am sure burpees hate us too :)
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I started CF in March and thought I would like it and felt like a bad *kitten* the first few times :)
    But the more I went the less I liked it. It seemed I was the only super unfit person in my class. Huffing and puffing already after the warm up, but I was not giving up. I also have super tight hamstrings and hip flexors which did not make it easier...
    I like the strengthening part of it, but was dreading all cardio parts as I got the feeling, nobody wanted to team up with me (as they would get a low score/time; so much for the community factor!). I also had one coach role his eyes on me once, when I asked for a scale down alternative. He thought I would not notice, but it totally discouraged me.

So I tried to suck it up and go faster and probably heavier than I should, with the result, that I hurt my lower back. I am not sure yet if I want to go back to CF once I get the green light from my chiropractor.

is there another crossfit gym in the area? You need to find someone that is willing scale a workout down...its good to have a coach push you but if you are just starting out you need modifying options

• BarbelGirl79
    Options
    is there another crossfit gym in the area? You need to find someone that is willing scale a workout down...its good to have a coach push you but if you are just starting out you need modifying options

Yes, there are a few. I did my research at the beginning and thought this one was the best for me and it was conveniently right next to my work location.

And, don't get me wrong, the coach offered a scaled down version, but it was just not scaled down enough for me and I got the rolling eye treatment when I asked for an even more scaled down version.

I'll have a few more weeks till I could go back to CF, but I have lost my passion for it. Maybe it will come back one day.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I am so sorry you had this type of experience. As for this trainer's rude and unprofessional behavior, it is not the norm in the Crossfit community. While I can understand why you would never want to try it again, I encourage you to try a different affiliate once you have healed.
  • rockymytdeb
    rockymytdeb Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Yes, there are a few. I did my research at the beginning and thought this one was the best for me and it was conveniently right next to my work location.

And, don't get me wrong, the coach offered a scaled down version, but it was just not scaled down enough for me and I got the rolling eye treatment when I asked for an even more scaled down version.

I'll have a few more weeks till I could go back to CF, but I have lost my passion for it. Maybe it will come back one day.

I'm new to crossfit, only one week, overweight and 57 years old. Talk about the weakest link. All the rest of my group is so encouraging and cheering me on. I think a different box would be worth looking into.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. I am new to this and I certainly don't buy all the hype, but I could not imagine that happening in my gym (yeah, I said gym). My coach is careful, attentive, polite, encouraging. I'm overweight but not the only one; I'm forty-five, but not the oldest there; I am a woman and we are legion. The people where I go are varied in their physical fitness, age, sex, and of course they vary in how social they are as well. I bet you just got a bad box.
  • BarbelGirl79
    Options
    Thanks for all your kind words!
    I will give it another try once my back is healed. I am stuck with a one year contract anyway, so might as well use it till the end :)
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Contract! Contracts give me hives. I'm on month to month.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I’m actually one of those people who tried it and didn’t like it. And I gave it a WHOLE YEAR just because I like to really give new activities an honest chance, but it just wasn’t for me. First I really didn’t like the Olympic Lifting aspect… I feel like those lifts are so technical, and really need slow, 1:1 training, and you just don’t get that from Crossfit. Also for some Oly lifts (mainly snatch), I felt like there was such a small window between a weight that was so light that it wasn’t even a workout, and then I would add 5 lbs and it would feel like I was going to crush a vertebrae. Slight exaggeration, but that’s the general idea.

Also, although my box was great and so were the people and coaches, I’m just not a competitive person, and I really hated that aspect. People would nicely try to cheer/push me on if they finished before me, and it just irritated me and made me hate it.

However, what WAS great about my year at xfit was that it allowed me to be comfortable around weights, and know what I like and don’t like, and learn good form. So when I stopped, I was able to easily switch to a more classic strength training program and know what I was doing in the gym.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Been doing Crossfit for a little over a year and have fallen completely for the sport/workouts, the lifestyle, and especially the members and coach at my gym. I joined when a new one opened in my town, so we were all newbies together. I did my first Open in Feb/March, and even entered in a team competition earlier this month. My strength and fitness has improved a TON, despite the fact that I had been working out and running for years. Definitely encourage anyone to give it a try.