Casseroles?

Options
FLBeachluvr
FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
I'm so tired of eating the same few things for dinner so I'm looking for some new casserole recipes. Things I can make a big batch of and then have for dinner for a few nights. Anyone have any go-to recipes that are easy to just reheat when I get home from work?

Thanks.

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I just made a taco casserole this weekend. Also, Shepard's pie is really easy
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread that's still going strong - if you have a slow cooker you might find some of these helpful! :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/372359/bring-your-crockpot-slow-cooker-recipes/p1

I also love this recipe - it's not a casserole as such, but it's tasty, easy to make, keeps well, and makes about 8-10 servings! I make it quite often... my family like to put it in tortillas, and I just have mine on a plate with some cheese on the top. :) It'll keep in the fridge for several days, or you can freeze it. Doesn't take long to heat up.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10310875/most-efficient-effective-meal-recipe-ryans-texas-brown-rice-beef/p1
  • anntoureilles
    anntoureilles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Here is my spaghetti squash recipe. It is really more of a weekend recipe as it does take some time to make, but it's not difficult (just time consuming):

Chicken Sausage and Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

Ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash
    Approx 1.25 lb ground chicken sausage (or plain ground chicken with sausage seasoning - recipe below)
    3 tbsp olive oil divided
    2 large eggs
    1 cup Panko bread crumbs
    1 tbsp tomato paste
    2 14 oz cans of pureed or crushed tomatoes
    1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp grape jelly (if you don't have jelly, white or brown sugar will also work, but grape jelly is my secret trick)
    1/2 cup diced onion
    2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced.
    1 15oz container of Light ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan
    1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup fresh chopped basil and italian parsley, divided
    1 tbsp dry italian seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Combine the ground chicken sausage, 1 egg, 1 tbsp olive oil, breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup basil and parsley mix until just combined. Form into small meatballs on a plate. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge while you prepare the squash.

Cut the spaghetti squash in half length-wise. Scoop out the seeds in the middle and discard. Brush with olive oil on each side and season with salt and pepper. Line a cookie sheet with foil, and place squash cut side down. Brush peel side with a little oil and season as well. Roast for approx 30 minutes until pliant and slightly brown. Remove from oven and set aside.

Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan until med-hot. Sautee chicken meatballs a few minutes on each side, until nice and brown, but don't cook through all the way. Remove from the pan and set aside, leaving oil and brown bits in the pan.

For the marinara sauce, add chopped onion to the pan you cooked the meatballs in, and sautee until translucent. Add tomato paste, minced garlic and dry Italian seasonings and cook for about two minutes. Add pureed and diced tomatoes, plus the grape jelly to the pan, reduce heat and simmer for about 5-10 minutes until the sauce reduces a little and thickens. Adjust seasoning if necessary.

While the sauce reduces, prepare your ricotta mixture. Mix together the ricotta, Parmesan cheese, 1 egg and 1/4 fresh basil and parsley.

Flip over your squashes and use a fork to "shred" the squash.

Prepare a large casserole dish by spraying with Pam. Spread a large spoon-full of the marina on the bottom of the dish. add your spaghetti squash shreds to the dish and spread out evenly. On top of the squash, spread about 3/4 of the ricotta mixture. Spoon the rest of the marinara on top. Grab the chicken meatballs from the fridge and nestle those into the sauce gently so they are mostly surrounded by sauce, but the tops are peaking out.

Top casserole with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and dollops of the rest of the ricotta mixture.

Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is brown and melty

Sausage seasoning:

1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    3/4 teaspoon dried fennel seeds
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Chicken Divan
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Here is a screenshot of my post about cheeseburger casserole. You can probably search for it too! Super yummy! I'm eating it this week. So good reheated!zgofo8ihqjdt.png
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    Here is a screenshot of my post about cheeseburger casserole.

How many calories in that thing? :) It sounds tasty, I'm wondering how it looks... my family can be picky about eating things that look a bit odd.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    We don't make a lot of casseroles, but we made this the other night: http://iowagirleats.com/2012/11/26/chicken-cordon-bleu-mac-and-cheese/ It was super east to make, tasty, and it is 480 calories per serving (with my brands and measurements).

We also like making enchiladas, which I don't consider a casserole, but they reheat wonderfully. This is our favorite red enchilada recipe: http://www.annies-eats.com/2010/02/15/chicken-enchiladas/
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I make this Southern Living recipe a lot. SO good.

myrecipes.com/recipe/light-king-ranch-chicken-casserole
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Maybe pre-make some burritos? Those tend to freeze well and are already single-serve.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I also found Skinnytaste on Facebook which seems to have a lot of choices.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I make lasagna or shepherd's pie, typically. Or if you're too lazy to assemble the lasagna, just do baked ziti or something.

Skinnytaste cheeseburger casserole is awesome too.

Really want to try that cordon bleu mac and cheese though!
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Here is a screenshot of my post about cheeseburger casserole.

How many calories in that thing? :) It sounds tasty, I'm wondering how it looks... my family can be picky about eating things that look a bit odd.

@SueSueDio I'm going to see if it will let me tag you in my original post which has a picture. The first time I made it, it was a little over 300 calories per square (I divided the casserole into 12) and this time I got it under to like 278 or something.

I think it looks odd when it is reheated. It definitely looks better fresh out of the oven!
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    @alyssadanielle2493 Got it - excellent, thank you! It certainly doesn't look bad when fresh. :) Have you tried freezing it at all, or would you not recommend that? (And do you serve it with anything else, or just as is? Sorry for all the questions!)

Francl27 wrote: »

I'll be making that at the weekend - my son saw it and wanted it! It definitely looks tasty...
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    @alyssadanielle2493 Got it - excellent, thank you! It certainly doesn't look bad when fresh. :) Have you tried freezing it at all, or would you not recommend that? (And do you serve it with anything else, or just as is? Sorry for all the questions!)

I'll be making that at the weekend - my son saw it and wanted it! It definitely looks tasty...

I have not tried freezing it, so I'm not sure. I live alone so I'll just have raw veggies or some fruits with it. Sometimes a glass of wine :)
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    Wine goes with everything... :)
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I made that on Monday night, as I happened to have several southwestern seasoned grilled chicken breasts in the fridge. I added a can of black beans and about half a cup of corn, and it is 1.) delicious 2.) super filling and 3.) <400 calories for a 1/8th serving. The only downside is the sodium from the canned soups, but it is definitely going in my semi-regular repertoire.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    badnoodle wrote: »

I made that on Monday night, as I happened to have several southwestern seasoned grilled chicken breasts in the fridge. I added a can of black beans and about half a cup of corn, and it is 1.) delicious 2.) super filling and 3.) <400 calories for a 1/8th serving. The only downside is the sodium from the canned soups, but it is definitely going in my semi-regular repertoire.

I typically avoid all dishes (casseroles and crockpot stuff) that use canned soup... not sure why. I guess I just really don't like canned soup!
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    Options
    badnoodle wrote: »

I typically avoid all dishes (casseroles and crockpot stuff) that use canned soup... not sure why. I guess I just really don't like canned soup!

I haven't tried this yet, but I heard this is a good substitute for canned soup. Saw it in a Facebook group I'm in.baun8q64hhv9.jpg
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,376 Member
    Options
    my go to is hearty chicken soup. I fill a big pot with water, 4-6 boneless/skinless chicken thighs, 3/4 C barley, carrots, celery. I add 1 tbl of chicken boullion when it boils. I cook for about 40min, then i add cut up zucchini, chopped spinach, peas. while it cooking i get 1 egg & mix cream of wheat into it till it resembles playdough. I dip a tbl spoon into the hot soup & scoop about half of dumpling mix at a time into soup, cook for about 20 minutes in there. one serving is 1 1/2 cups & 148 cal. I think i put 6or 8 servings for the whole thing but you can adjust.I'm making some today. very filling