Eat before or after a workout?

Options
This has probably been brought up before but I am a newbie. What is the best advice? Searching on the internet I got conflicting views. Those of you that have been successful and know your stuff, Please help!

Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    in general it is best to have something small before, and protein and carbs after
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I work out an hour to two after I've eaten breakfast and I *always* have a small banana afterwards, before my shower - works for me :-)
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I workout first thing in the morning, and prefer to workout on an empty stomach. But sometimes a little protein bar or shake will give you extra energy to get through it!
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    I usually have a banana prior to working out and organic low fat chocolate milk right after...
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    a banana before hand to give your body a kick start of energy and it will also burn it off after quicker!
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only monkey in here... banana before workout!
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy but, I try to eat a little before & after. I'll have something w/ carbs before (to give me the energy to do my workouts) and I'll have some more carbs afterwards (to replenish my body). If I'm doing strength training & weight lifting, I'll eat carbs & protein after my workout (4 carbs to 1 protein).
    140150 Posts: 27
    Options
    i usually exercise in the morning, so i exercise then eat breakfast because i read that because your body doesn't have the calories and etc. from breakfast to burn, it has to burn fat . . . is that true? i mean, it works for me because after the blood, sweat, and tears, the simplicity of a bowl of scrambled eggs is quite nice but i would like to know what's the most effective for weight loss. :)
  • www_getfitrx_com
    Options
    Hi Angel!

This depends on your goals really ... and can be tailored specifically to the target.

If you wish to shed fat ... workout on an empty stomach (fluids only) first thing in the morning ... 30-45 mins max ... If it is more aggressive you need to plan differently ... this should target fat stores ...

If you wish to build lean muscle mass ... then it gets trickier ... but I usually eat 1.5-2 hours prior ... anywhere from 15-30g protein - low carbs ... and then AFTER I have a protein shake with 20-30g protein and carbohydrates to help my body recover/repair.

Overall, respect your body ... if you want it to work hard and become stronger and more efficient ... you have to pay it with high-quality ingredients ... no empty calories or junk food ... If you don't nourish properly - it just puts unnecessary stress on your immune system/repair/recover processes which is a mistake ...

So try to think of it that way ... no different than your car ... high grade fuel and oil = high grade performance ... the cheap gas? Well, it works but it makes that pinging noise and runs poorly ... =)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Fast acting carbs before. Usually fruit of some sort is what most will do.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    x2 for Ninerbuff
    Then follow up with Protein for recovery afterwards... That is what I find to do the most good for me
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy but, I try to eat a little before & after. I'll have something w/ carbs before (to give me the energy to do my workouts) and I'll have some more carbs afterwards (to replenish my body). If I'm doing strength training & weight lifting, I'll eat carbs & protein after my workout (4 carbs to 1 protein).

Totally do the same, depends on what you're doing for exercise. Obviously not a good idea to have dehydrating drinks or meals prior and very low portion
  • alwaysangel
    alwaysangel Posts: 203
    Options

I've heard that too, my son is doing that approach. I also read the cons to it. Your workout may not be as effective and your more prone to injury because of low blood sugar since you've been fasting all night. I have a 2 y/o that gets up early so exercising beofre breakfast is out of the question, unless I sacrifice sleep over it.
  • alwaysangel
    alwaysangel Posts: 203
    Options
    I've been spinning before lunch.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    definitely have a post workout snack! I have protein and carbs after I workout
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I believe its dependent on each individual. I prefer to eat afterwards (unless i haven't eaten in a while in which i'll have a small snack) whereas my bf needs to eat pretty much a meal before he works out otherwise he gets very light headed. Find out what works for you cause i do think everyones different