Breastfeeding and trying to lose weight.

Options
Hello everyone! I am in need of some help. I need some help getting rid of the last 10 pregnancy pounds and I'm looking to lose an additional 10 as well. A little background I worked out doing piyo 6 days a week during my entire pregnancy but didn't eat the greatest. I ended up gaining about 40 pounds... Yikes! I had a repeat c section on August 16th, i've lost 30 so far and I'm 2 months out. I'm back into a workout routine of piyo with some modifications due to my surgery and I'm eating about 1500-1600 calories while breastfeeding almost exclusively (my son gets one bottle of formula a day). I'm just not seeing the results. It's been over 3 weeks since I've lost any weight. Any suggestions or advice? I have my 10 year reunion coming up in a few months and would really like to kick this weights butt! Thank you!!!

Replies

• jennb2096
    jennb2096 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Take the calories mfp gives you as a goal and add 500 since your baby is young. I just dropped to 250, but my son is a year now and doesn't nurse as often.
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Be sure you add 500 calories for bf a newborn and eat back your exercise calories. It took a year to put on the pregnancy weight, so expecting it to evaporate before your baby leaves the 4th trimester is unreasonable for most people. Of course it might work for you, but keep an eye on your supply, if that's important to you.
  • cahobbs80
    cahobbs80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing brilliantly to me. You've lost loads in a really short space of time. It goes on over the 9 months and normally comes off over a similar time. I've just had my third baby - put on the least amount of weight with this one and am really struggling to lose the last stone. I've been eating too much though - but an just hungry all the time. Trying to up my protein intake and am also sticking to around 1600 calories a day. I'm also breastfeeding, and then one bottle of formula each day. What's PIYO?
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Like others were saying, you've lost quite a bit in a short amount of time! Remember that most people should only healthily be losing up to 2 pounds a week. I'm not sure how that factors in while nursing, but I think you should be eating a little more unless you're a quite small person. If you're feeling discouraged, maybe you should take pictures or measurements to keep track too.
  • giulia1988
    giulia1988 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I will definitely factor in breastfeeding calories. Cahobbs- PIYO is a beachbody workout that combines pilates with yoga and is also cardio centric. It's a phenomenal low impact workout that really tones you're whole body. I'm going to be adding T25 back into my workout program as well soon as I'm feeling stronger and my stamina is much better now. I know I've lost quite a bit already, I guess I'm more discouraged because with my second I was back to prepregnancy within a week of having my son lol! I know that is not the norm but I'm definitely feeling discouraged that my fat jeans don't fit.... Thanks for the support!
  • phonerobot
    phonerobot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat more and experiment with intermittent fasting to boost loss. This works well if you have to stick to modified work outs.
  • KkBlowin25
    KkBlowin25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I too breastfeed my 7 month old, very very hard it comes off slow then bam lose 5 pounds, I didn't add any extra calories because of breastfeeding I just put active , and drink a lot of water . Eat a lot of protein and veggies.