Does anyone Use/Believe in Crystal properties?

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's bogus. There is NO peer reviewed clinical evidence showing that shining light through crystals, laying them on you, etc. do ANYTHING to heal or help. Pseudoscience at it's best to sell crystals to make money. They are pretty though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

There was also a time when scientists believed the world was flat.

There's a really great essay by Isaac Asimov about this:
    In the early days of civilization, the general feeling was that the earth was flat. This was not because people were stupid, or because they were intent on believing silly things. They felt it was flat on the basis of sound evidence. It was not just a matter of "That's how it looks," because the earth does not look flat. It looks chaotically bumpy, with hills, valleys, ravines, cliffs, and so on.

Of course there are plains where, over limited areas, the earth's surface does look fairly flat. One of those plains is in the Tigris-Euphrates area, where the first historical civilization (one with writing) developed, that of the Sumerians.

Perhaps it was the appearance of the plain that persuaded the clever Sumerians to accept the generalization that the earth was flat; that if you somehow evened out all the elevations and depressions, you would be left with flatness. Contributing to the notion may have been the fact that stretches of water (ponds and lakes) looked pretty flat on quiet days.

Another way of looking at it is to ask what is the "curvature" of the earth's surface Over a considerable length, how much does the surface deviate (on the average) from perfect flatness. The flat-earth theory would make it seem that the surface doesn't deviate from flatness at all, that its curvature is 0 to the mile.

Nowadays, of course, we are taught that the flat-earth theory is wrong; that it is all wrong, terribly wrong, absolutely. But it isn't. The curvature of the earth is nearly 0 per mile, so that although the flat-earth theory is wrong, it happens to be nearly right. That's why the theory lasted so long.

It's a great essay about scientific truth and what it means. Read the whole thing here:
    http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm

Can you just cliff note this for me so I know whether it will support or discredit my argument. This is way to long to read.

Here's the punchline:
    What actually happens is that once scientists get hold of a good concept they gradually refine and extend it with greater and greater subtlety as their instruments of measurement improve. Theories are not so much wrong as incomplete.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's bogus. There is NO peer reviewed clinical evidence showing that shining light through crystals, laying them on you, etc. do ANYTHING to heal or help. Pseudoscience at it's best to sell crystals to make money. They are pretty though.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

There was also a time when scientists believed the world was flat.
    You're talking a time when technology wasn't available either. You don't have to believe in science. But that doesn't mean it's incorrect, especially today with much more trial and error available.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »
    I am sure there is more use to them besides decorational, e.g. in electronics. I don't think general public has any knowledge of the other uses including healing. And I don't think they should. Not anyone can become a shaman or a doctor without proper knowledge and training
    Lol, that's a use right there. Pseudoscience to "create" problem and using crystals as the answer. Basically snakeoil sales technique.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Brb going to the rock yard. Let's see if they can heal up my shoulder. I'll just lay on the pile?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    So would it be plausible that the technology used to measure the effects of crystals haven't been developed yet? Or do you think we've reached a pinnacle in technology and science and there is nothing left to discover.

You can use that line of reasoning to say anything is gonna happen. Since we didn't know the speed of light was the speed limit and now we do, it's it possible that my grandma isn't really dead?

Well, sure, it's possible. Anything is possible, Carrot Top from those commercials might get laid one day. Is it likely? No.
  • JoysDragonfly
    JoysDragonfly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I believe that faith is one of the most powerful forces in the universe and that whatever you put your faith into is what will be reflected back to you. So yeah, I believe in the power of rocks and no, not those meth rocks!
  • PetiteSilm
    PetiteSilm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I believe that any gem can hold on to any energy good or bad.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Yep... And if that makes you question everything you think you know then you're doing it right.

I don't have time to question everything! Do you ever wonder why all the stop signs are spelled exactly the same way or how your life might have been different if you'd sneezed more in the third grade? Me neither.

I'm sure it'd be awesome if I had no idea what would happen every time I flipped a light switch, the world would be an adventure - and very confusing. But every time I flip the light switch, the same thing happens, the light goes on or off like I told it to. Next time I flip the switch, I have a pretty good idea what's coming.

If anybody ever discovers some magic, when they show it to me I'll be like "cool! do it again, that was awesome!"
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Being a geologist, I have a lovely rock and mineral collection. They make me happy, but that's all I require/expect of them.