How to get a waist???

Options
I've never had a waist.... I had a very slight variance from my hips to my waist when I was in college but never a truly defined waist. This is something that I want! How can I go about working on getting a waist while I'm losing weight?

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It's going to be a slow process that requires good eating and alot of cardio.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You cant target fatloss, but in time with enough weight lost you will get there. Everyone stores fat differently and it may be you store more around the waist so it may take longer than others to find it. Just keep dieting and you will get there.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Clean eating. Lean protein and lots of green veggies.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    could just be the way you are built, I don't have much of a waist either, but someone did tell me about this:
    http://www.t-tapp.com/try/index.html
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Do cardio, when you get to a certain weight it will start to go in and it will just keep going in. :)
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Yup, as the previous poster said, you can't spot treat weight loss. What you can do, is start doing some ab and core work. You may not see a change, but when you start losing body fat, you will have some muscle already developed under the fat. And don't give up, unfortunately for us girls, the mid section is the last to go.
  • JennieD2
    JennieD2 Posts: 66
    Options
    Exercise your abs particularly the obliques. Abdominal crunches with a twist, hula hooping, anything that involves twisting at the waist to work your core muscles :)
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think any exercise where you twist at the waist is going to help as well. Tae bo has you punching across your body and really using your abs and lower body to power the punch. Russian twists, cravy Ivans. Check them out; they might help.
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    could just be the way you are built, I don't have much of a waist either, but someone did tell me about this:
    http://www.t-tapp.com/try/index.html
    I agree. You may lose all the fat around your midsection and still not have much of a waist.
  • HulaChic
    HulaChic Posts: 47
    Options
    Hula hooping! I have lost 3 1/2 inches in my hips and 3 1/2 inches in my waist in under a month. I started with a hula hoop that has water in it (from Wal-Mart) and then progressed to a weighted hula hoop (3 pound) from Amazon. I had to 'teach' myself how to hula hoop as an adult but it has been well worth my efforts. Good Luck!!
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Exercise your abs particularly the obliques. Abdominal crunches with a twist, hula hooping, anything that involves twisting at the waist to work your core muscles :)

This is actually bad advise partially. Working obliques WIDENS your waist. I wouldnt do any twisting if your concern is the waist. Work the rest through leg raises or crunches/situps to tighten the core and low back which will help.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Genetics plays a role here. I have a very fit friend whose shoulder width is about the same as her waist. So I trained her hard to INCREASE her shoulder width! Now the "illiusion" is that she has a smaller waist with very sexy shoulders to boot!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    If it's your natural body shape, no workout or diet will make you have a defined waist. However, with the proper cut of clothes you can give your body the appearance of a defined waist.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Keep working dear! I'll bet you'll have one when you reach your goal. Just concentrate on over fat loss and fitness improvements.
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    jump onto twister and work on ur obliques, u can find many such excerices on youtube in yoga, pilatus n aerobics
  • marniehodges
    marniehodges Posts: 264
    Options
    Hard work! I know it seems daunting at first. The trick is to not get discouraged and just keep going. Feed your body good healthy food, drink LOTS of water, and mix up your work outs. And track your sodium! When I first started on here last November I didn't have a defined waist either. I started out walking. Then joined a gym where I do the elliptical, stationery bike and treadmill. A couple days a week I toss in work out videos at home...30 day shred and Biggest Loser Cardio Max, both of which use hand weights which will help build up your core (start with light weights and build up to heavier ones). If you do videos, don't get discouraged if you can't do everything they do at first...do what you can, and as you build up your strength, you'll get there! The biggest thing is, JUST HANG IN THERE :smile: . Make some good friends here for support; mine have gotten me through many dark days of wanting to throw in the towel.

Best of luck to you!