Using oil/butter to cook

Options
How do I add these to my cooking log? If a recepie calls for 1tbs, I'm not eating the whole tbs...so how do I count it? Also, some ouls turn into bad fats when heated, and their calories then change correct?

How can i figure this out easily?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If a recipe calls for 1 Tbsp of oil, how are you not eating the whole Tbsp. As far as oils going rancid, look up oil smoke points...basically you want to use an oil that is appropriate for whatever kind of cooking you do...you don't want to use an oil with a low smoke point for example, if you're deep frying something.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Weight/measure the mass/volume that goes into the pan....weigh/measure the mass/volume that is left in the pan after cooking (ensuring no solids are present). The difference is in your food.

After you do this a few times, you should be able to estimate.

I make skillet meals all the time (it is all I really do), so I am well experienced in this.
  • jdwils14
    Options
    On a side note...why not eat all of the butter? Butter is delicious!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much oil/butter is used, I would just log the whole thing to be on the safe side.

I cook for my boyfriend and I and when I use a tablespoon of olive oil to coat the skillet, I just log the tablespoon for myself. Yes, I am overestimating but I would rather overestimate than underestimate.
  • jdwils14
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Also, some ouls turn into bad fats when heated, and their calories then change correct?

I am not sure about the fats thing. However, calories don't "change." A calorie from fat is still a calorie from fat until it gets metabolized into something different. 240 calories from oil will still be 240 calories from fat when you heat it up.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If you're splitting a TBSP. of butter at roughly 10-14g fat 5 ways, that's 2-3 grams fat (or less). Life's too short to sweat that one. 2g fat is only 18 calories and you've got that in ballpark calorie variance swings all day every day.

In short, I don't measure that stuff and I still lose fat. But that's just me.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    don't know if this helps, but if i use 1 Tbs of butter to cook eggs, i log 1 Tbs. If i make a recipe & use 2 Tbs of oil, I just list it with the rest of ingredients & put in how many servings the whole thing make & it calculates it for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If I eat half the food, I log half what I used etc. If I'm not going to eat all the butter or oil, well, I use less of it...
  • OldeDarrell
    OldeDarrell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have my diary set up for by the gram. As example if I weigh the butter or peanut butter etc before I spread some on bread, I then weigh the remaining jar of peanut butter or what have you and if it's 15 grams lighter, I log in 15 grams of peanut butter etc... (I have ground beef by the gram, cheese by the gram etc.)

As far as the skillet; Rubber spatula whats left onto you eggs or steak and count the whole thing. YUM.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I have my diary set up for by the gram. As example if I weigh the butter or peanut butter etc before I spread some on bread, I then weigh the remaining jar of peanut butter or what have you and if it's 15 grams lighter, I log in 15 grams of peanut butter etc... (I have ground beef by the gram, cheese by the gram etc.)

As far as the skillet; Rubber spatula whats left onto you eggs or steak and count the whole thing. YUM.

:smile: Isn't it easier to simply put the slice of the bread on the scale, zero it out, then spread the butter & peanut butter, then weigh it out?
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Also, some ouls turn into bad fats when heated, and their calories then change correct?

As earlier post suggested, make sure you know smoke point of the oil you are using. There are some oils with very low smoke points that are meant to be in salads. Make sure you use accordingly.

As for the grams of oil, you could do very complicated calculations, or simply overestimate the amount of oil you have consumed. It is going to be 1-2 grams at the most, so its nothing to fret about.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »

:smile: Isn't it easier to simply put the slice of the bread on the scale, zero it out, then spread the butter & peanut butter, then weigh it out?

Butter, maybe. Peanut butter, definitely not. Because whatever's left on the spoon or the knife is going in my mouth.
  • OldeDarrell
    OldeDarrell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »

Yes. I was trying to simplify for understandability. My scale sometimes shuts off in the middle of adding ingredients. But yes, I can tare off the bread/ham/plate and watch the grams of mayo fall onto the sandwich and go with that weight. But if it's a skillet that I might have to keep adding butter too or something, I have to go the other way. :smile:
  • WhimsicalChimera
    WhimsicalChimera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing and am glad I decided to check through the subjects before creating a new one. There are some really great thoughts here. Thanks!