Feeling squishy today

Options
Hello.
I have lost 17 pounds. It shows. I had to buy a new belt and everything.
However my belly is much more squishy than before. I can actually grab my fat and kind of pull it away from my body? I am certain I couldn't do that before.

Feeling a bit discouraged.
What is going on here!?

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Normal - don't worry about it. :)
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say this happens as you lose weight. I don't know why, but it seems to go away as you keep at it. Something about losing the fat that was making it less squishy. Super scientific, no?

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily squishy-er but I'm definitely lumpy-er. Maybe a little more squishy. But I find it more amusing than disheartening so I don't have much value to add. :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! That's progress. Give it time. It takes a while for the skin to tighten up after weight loss. It may not go away completely, but it will improve and you will be healthier.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Ooh it's been a while since a good whoosh thread!! Maybe this doesn't happen to everyone but it happens to me... the day im most hating my body and seeing it all jiggly is usually the days before I see a loss and it's all nice and tight! Read the link above its very informative
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    And there's always leftover skin. Fat holds everything taut, and when you lose the fat that's keeping the skin stretched, it deflates but does not just shrink back tightly.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Totally normal and it WILL get better as you continue to lose. Keep going!
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your answers! Good to know this happens to other people. I don't think I will be seeing a woosh any time soon as I just dropped three pounds two days ago.

Weight loss is weird! Another example: I tried on boots that I bought two years ago when I was the same weight I am now... they don't fit! At the same weight, my calves are now bigger! :o
  • Clawsal
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    And there's always leftover skin. Fat holds everything taut, and when you lose the fat that's keeping the skin stretched, it deflates but does not just shrink back tightly.

This is not loose skin at all... it is FAT.

• Clawsal
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    I've heard people say this happens as you lose weight. I don't know why, but it seems to go away as you keep at it. Something about losing the fat that was making it less squishy. Super scientific, no?

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily squishy-er but I'm definitely lumpy-er. Maybe a little more squishy. But I find it more amusing than disheartening so I don't have much value to add. :)

Lumpy! That describes my mid-section quite well!
  • krinkjazz
    krinkjazz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been lumpy for months... I keep hearing to just keep going. Fat mobilization and the Whoosh theory...Right? Fat does not mobilize evenly-- thus the texture. I have lost 74lbs and I still have so many bb's and peas in my fat layer--EVERYWHERE. So I feel your pain. I'm hoping that a LONG recomp will hopefully help this texture smooth out.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between the whoosh kind of squishy and big weight loss squishy. My understanding with the whoosh is the that the idea is you get squishy and then have your whoosh of weight loss and then you are less squishy.

What I consider to be big weight loss squishy is entirely different. It's more due to losing the the visceral fat, which packs around your organs and fills you out enough that your fattiest area (I'm thinking of the stomach) seems fairly firm. Once that (visceral fat) decreases a lot (because it's usually the first fat to burn off) and then you are left dealing with slow-to-go subcutaneous fat that is still stretching out your skin, you are left being squishy for quite awhile.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    This is not scientific ;) but I like to think of my fat loosening up - kind of like a loose tooth before it falls off :P
  • Clawsal
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think there is a difference between the whoosh kind of squishy and big weight loss squishy. My understanding with the whoosh is the that the idea is you get squishy and then have your whoosh of weight loss and then you are less squishy.

What I consider to be big weight loss squishy is entirely different. It's more due to losing the the visceral fat, which packs around your organs and fills you out enough that your fattiest area (I'm thinking of the stomach) seems fairly firm. Once that (visceral fat) decreases a lot (because it's usually the first fat to burn off) and then you are left dealing with slow-to-go subcutaneous fat that is still stretching out your skin, you are left being squishy for quite awhile.

This seems so spot on! Thank you for that explanation. My belly seemed firmer before, so I pretended for a while I wasn't all that fat :smile: . I haven't lost that much, only 17 pounds, but it still represents over 10% of my body weight so it qualifies as big weight loss (at least in my mind) :) .

I didn't know that visceral fat was the first to go! This is such good news as visceral fat is so unhealthy (and health > looks).