Protein

Options
I am on the Atkins diet and I am not meeting my protein goals on here. How can I increase my protein intake to meet my daily goals?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein rich food?

Pre log your day to make sure you're hitting your targets?
  • TechAaronLoyd
    TechAaronLoyd Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Add protein shakes. I like the stuff myprotein.com good prices and options.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    And thus the reason the supplement market exists.

The question is, why are you UNABLE to meet your protein goals? Fill us in on that and we can better answer your question.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is a life saver for me (with pb2 and chocolate chips mixed in)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat lots of grilled chicken. Lots of protein, not so many calories.
  • sh512266
    sh512266 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs and grilled chicken, shrimp and beef. I also have 50g of protein in my breakfast smoothie. It's a lifesaver and I look forward to it every am!
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That's hard to understand. The Atkins diet is a protein low cab diet. If your not meeting you protein allowance what are you eating
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Add protein shakes. I like the stuff myprotein.com good prices and options.

They are my go to as well. As a bonus, their caseins make amazing protein fluff volume (especially the strawberry).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why are you on someone else's diet? Compose your own! Set your own targets.
  • millsli4
    millsli4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am reading this thread as I too struggle with getting enough protein rich foods in my low carb diet. Seems most increase my fat macros too much at the same time. Short of snacking on egg whites I'm at a loss. The grilled chicken is a good suggestion (thanks!) and the protein supplement seems unavoidable although I don't believe this SHOULD be necessary. I eat meats of all types, eggs daily, greek yogurt. Any other solutions would be appreciated; making we are not thinking of something Yayog81
  • DjPorkchop73
    DjPorkchop73 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just knocked out 45 g of protein at once eating one piece of meat. The drawback was the fat at 21g. Protein has been my struggle as well. I am finding the more of it I eat, the less cravings or hunger I have during the day.

to OP, I hope you can figure out a way. it will help a lot.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of chicken, grilled if possible, sometimes bbq'd. I also drink a 60g protein shake (2 scoops) every single morning to make sure I hit my goals for the rest of the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What are you eating on the Adkin's diet that you aren't getting enough protein? What is your target?
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you trying to get? I can hit my protein by having a greek yogurt, some cottage cheese, chicken/fish/beef. Peanut butter is also good for protein. I shoot for 110-120 g a day.
  • c_water19
    c_water19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »

The question is, why are you UNABLE to meet your protein goals? Fill us in on that and we can better answer your question.

Not my thread buuuuuut I can tell you that I do protein shakes in the morning for ease & depending on my work schedule sometimes it's easy to do for lunch too. So in reality I'm looking for a decent protein that isn't going to make me feel bloated or will upset my stomach. If you have any suggestions that'd be awesome. Feel free to message me if that's easier
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, broccoli, lentils, chickpeas, nuts, hemp, peanut protein powder, tempeh, seitan, beans and greens!
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    c_water19 wrote: »
    Dano74 wrote: »

Not my thread buuuuuut I can tell you that I do protein shakes in the morning for ease & depending on my work schedule sometimes it's easy to do for lunch too. So in reality I'm looking for a decent protein that isn't going to make me feel bloated or will upset my stomach. If you have any suggestions that'd be awesome. Feel free to message me if that's easier

What proteins currently make you bloat or upset your stomach?

Other sources of protein that are mostly, if not all, protein... (the following are obviously not plant-based):

Beef (90-or more/10 or less) 24-29g protein per 4 oz. serving
    Chicken Breast (thighs-- or dark meat- have a little more fat) 24-29g protein per 4 oz. serving
    Cottage Cheese (0 or 1% fat) 13-16g protein per 1/2 cup serving
    Eggs 5-6g protein per egg (almost equal amount of fat if yolks included)
    Fish (18-14g per 4 oz. serving depending on type of fish)
    Greek Yogurt 14g per 6 oz. serving
    Shrimp 23g protein per 4 oz. serving
    Turkey (ground) 93% lean: 22g proten per 4 oz. serving.
  • hannahvillarreal96
    Options
    Vegan protein shakes, or start adding hemp seeds to everything. They add lots of protein and have little to no taste.
  • c_water19
    c_water19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @Dano74 I was using syntha 6 awhile back and that made me bloat awful. I've done okay with Muscle Milk & Herbalife products so far. Sometimes if I do premade I get premier protein from Sam's Club. I generally up my protein with the MM & Herbalife by using almond milk, pb2 & chia/flax. It honestly just depends on my mood.
  • MissZimmy
    MissZimmy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey, I would suggest you try fish, it's super high in protein, lean healthy and full of omega 3. Almonds are good too (roasted almonds are the best carry around snack).