Why women should feel good naked...

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/personal/01/23/o.nude.attitude/index.html

Just read this article. I think its pretty awesome, and there is a really cool section about eating, and deprivation.

Basically, everyone is beautiful, we just all need to remember that. Because when we know we're beautiful, the rest of the world knows it too :)

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/personal/01/23/o.nude.attitude/index.html

Just read this article. I think its pretty awesome, and there is a really cool section about eating, and deprivation.

Basically, everyone is beautiful, we just all need to remember that. Because when we know we're beautiful, the rest of the world knows it too :)
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    You know what I think...someone...a man should do survey's about what real men are really attracted too. I mean when no one is there to judge them for their choice, do they like big booties, big hips, small feet, little boobies, does cellulite bother men as much as it does women?

My DH for example says that a lot of the men he works with love big women, but would never admit that among large groups of male friends. Why is that? I don't get it.

How come women aren't that bothered by large men as much as men seem to be by large women?
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, that was a nice article.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    You gotta love that double standard. It's like men are expected and entitled to get a little larger as they marry, or get older, but if a woman does the same thing it's because she's lazy or "let herself go".:explode:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Like the article suggests, I think women are MUCH harsher to other women and to ourselves. :grumble:

A lot of good info in theory, but a lot harder to overcome in practice. :embarassed:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I don't think women are much more tolerant. I'll admit that I'm fairly picky. Obviously I'm not mean about it, but I know what attracts me and what doesn't. But I think women are more tolerant of how men look than of how other women look.

I actually think men are more tolerant than women. They look at themselves and go, "Man, I'm hairy and I smell like a goat. A shower will fix that." And they look at a naked woman and go, "Man, she's naked. I should be too."

But we look at ourselves and pick out each and every teeny tiny flaw before we shower. And when we see our husbands naked, we know what's about to happen and turn the light out so we don't have to think about those flaws.

Of course that's all a huge generalization but I think it fits a lot of people.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/style/skinandbody/slideshow1_ss_skinbody_20080215/1

Wow, that really hit home. It's a slideshow about an Oprah episode on this. What I thought was interesting was that they had the women place themselves in a lineup where they thought they belonged, and they placed themselves next to women who were actually much larger than themselves.
  • anulife4mee
    Options
    Execellent article ... insightful and fun!

Thanks

Annmarie
  • HeavenllySin
    HeavenllySin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it... but I don like big, big guys all that much - their not as fun in bed... I'm kinda afraid of being squished, and big hips are such a turn off (on men and women).

Guys... I find - LOVE a girl who is comfortable with herself... it is all about attitude. I was a 300lb stripper, and I made better money than the skinny chicks!

I have these pics too... and I am embarrassed as all get out about them.. they really show the cellulite on my thighs (I'm kinda bent over and I'm wearing short shorts)... but a few of my *admires* ended up seeing them by accident. The guys loved em'... one even got stolen (steal a pic of a big butt and lumpy thighs when he could have had one showing major cleavage? WTF?).
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/style/skinandbody/slideshow1_ss_skinbody_20080215/1

Wow, that really hit home. It's a slideshow about an Oprah episode on this. What I thought was interesting was that they had the women place themselves in a lineup where they thought they belonged, and they placed themselves next to women who were actually much larger than themselves.

Oh... wow. I do this all the time. I'll be in a store and lean over and to DH and ask if my butt (or stomach, legs, etc) is as large as that woman's. DH is always aghast at what I say. He will then be on a mission for the rest of the trip to find a woman closer to my size, point her out and say "There! You look like that!" My response normally is 'But she's so pretty!" :noway: Then I will normally find something attractive about her that I don't possess. :tongue:

Argh. Why do we mentally flog ourselves? :sad:

Also, I have VERY strong feelings about the double standard that exists between men and women. The media is obviously an enormous cause of this. But also - its us! Lets face it, there are a lot more beautiful women in the world than hot men. (Sad, isn't it) And I think women have just had to accept that men only get so pretty, and getting a hot one is like winning the lottery.

Could there be a lot more hot men? Absolutely! If they would get off their tushies and work. But, back to the media, nothing reinforces their need to. There has been a rise in recent years of films that star an average to blatantly unattractive (oftentimes geeky) man who meets and captures the heart of a beautiful woman. Exactly how many movies have you seen lately where those roles are reversed? The only movie I can think of that came close was

Why is that you ask? Well, who is making all the gosh darn movies!?! I went to school for film. In my class, there were 2 girls including myself and 78 men. Thats a little more than 2%. The industry is made up of much the same percentage. How many female directors do you know the names of? Its only been quite recently female directors have begun being nominated for Oscars, much less winning them! :angry:

Rant over now. Moral? More women need to make movies (including become involved in the more 'adult' aspect of moviemaking). :wink:
  • vcanter
    vcanter Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't know. When I got married I weighed 100lbs. Im 5 feet 1 inch tall. My husband is 6 feet and 2 inches and weighs 148lbs. He has gained 8 pounds during our marriage. I have gained much more than that. Now that I am hitting my sexual prime I am afraid for him to see me naked.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    You're right, we are hard on ourselves. I used to be really bad about that...I compared myself to EVERY girl. Big girls had bigger boobs than I did. Thin girls had smaller butts. Tall girls were more graceful. Shorter girls...well that didn't really happen :laugh: , but usually the girls my height were TEENY.

Sometimes I still do it in the gym. Some string bean will come in and look lazy on the treadmill for a little while, and I'll wonder why in the world I'm this thick and working this hard, and she doesn't have to work at all and she's a size 0. But I've been training myself not to think like that for a long time, and I'm more comfortable with myself now. I'm okay with how I look, I'm okay with how other people look, and I realize that we're all made differently. Some people think she's attractive, some people think I'm attractive. We're all different because everyone likes something a little different.
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My mom and I were just talking yesterday. Guys will tell the truth about their weight but lie about their height. Women don't usually lie about their height but they'll lie about their weight. A guy will admit to being 350 pounds but lie and say he's 6'1" when he's only 5'11". A girl will admit she's 5'6" but lie and say she's a size 4 because being a 12 is considered "fat".
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    You gotta love that double standard. It's like men are expected and entitled to get a little larger as they marry, or get older, but if a woman does the same thing it's because she's lazy or "let herself go".:explode:

Men are attracted physically and woman are attracted emotionally.
  • PunkinHeadsMOMMA
    Options
    Us women are so hard on ourselves.:sad: My DH and I had a conversation the other day about my weight when we first met. I was a skinny-minni, the smallest I've ever been. The problem was I couldn't really even enjoy it because I never saw myself that way. I'd see other women the same size and maybe even a little bigger than me and think, wow she looks good. I could never give myself that kind of compliment, because I still saw a chunky girl in the mirror. Now after a few years, security in my marriage and one baby later, I'm ready to take that journey back to the skinny-minni and look in the mirror and like who I see. My DH has had alot to do with that confidence, because he loved me then and he loves me now (bigger than I've ever been). And yes he still wants to see me naked, even if I don't.....yet.:wink:
  • PunkinHeadsMOMMA
    Options
    I don't know. When I got married I weighed 100lbs. Im 5 feet 1 inch tall. My husband is 6 feet and 2 inches and weighs 148lbs. He has gained 8 pounds during our marriage. I have gained much more than that. Now that I am hitting my sexual prime I am afraid for him to see me naked.
    Oh sweetheart:heart: , don't skip out on the best sex ever (at least I've heard from my 3 older sisters) because you're feeling down on yourself. Dim the lights if you feel you have to, but don't miss out! I can't wait till I'm in my prime!:bigsmile: (neither can my hubby:blushing: ) Stay on here, keep motivated, make a goal and reward yourself with a new nighty or something that makes you feel sexy:wink: .
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    You know what I think...someone...a man should do survey's about what real men are really attracted too. I mean when no one is there to judge them for their choice, do they like big booties, big hips, small feet, little boobies, does cellulite bother men as much as it does women?

My DH for example says that a lot of the men he works with love big women, but would never admit that among large groups of male friends. Why is that? I don't get it.

How come women aren't that bothered by large men as much as men seem to be by large women?

This is fun...as I think it changes based on the person over time spent with another (how's that for vague?)

Honestly, I was in a conversation about running a Soccer organization with a colleague, and I said something like, and you know what guys like? And she replied: yeah, money and sex.

I was caught off guard, as I was going to say: a need to be desired, recognition or respect, and the need to be encouraged.

I think this kind of need trumps the "beauty" factor that anyone thinks they posses. I've met more than my fair share of "attractive" people, only to have that pushed aside by their attitude or actions.

Now, that does not push aside the survey of what men are attracted too though, but it plays a major role, to be sure :happy:

(by the way, I never did understand the guys who always tend toward the young...instead of their own age, or older)
  • Lyndo
    Lyndo Posts: 95
    Options
    That is so true....
    I was size 0 when I met my husband & now size 13-14 & for some odd reason because I love him & I'm confortable with him, I' actually show myself to him, but then size 0 I was always ashamed>>???
    I have no idea why, I should have showed & danced my butt off infront of him....
    He barely seen my old body....:angry:

Hopefully he will get to see my new body by 2010 I will DANCE....:laugh:
  • Lyndo
    Lyndo Posts: 95
    Options
    125143.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bumpin for topics