I want to lose 55 pounds in 6 months

Options
hey yall I would like to lose 55 pounds in 6 months and so far I'm already down 2 pounds still have ways to go but I know it can be done. I'm changing how I eat and making sure I get some kind of exercise daily, I restarted the gym and really starting to feel good again just need to stay focused. please feel free add me as a friend.

Replies

• cowgirlmoney
    cowgirlmoney Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can add me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Be careful. That would require you to average a little over 2 lbs per week for these 6 months. The closer you get to your goal the harder that will be to achieve.
    If you want most of your loss to be from fat than you should'nt aim for more than about 1% of your body weight per week. This is because your body can only use approximately 30 calories per pound body fat a day. If your deficit exceeds that your body will start using lean body mass (muscle, bone, connective tissue, organs ect) for the rest of the energy you need.

I won't deny that it can be done. It can but it isn't necessarily healthy or sustainable. I actually lost a bit faster the first 6 months I tried weight loss. This was before I found MFP. However it wasn't sustainable for me and after joining MFP I discovered it wasn't healthy either (eating way too little/not possible to meet nutritional needs).
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Give yourself at least a year. What's the rush?
  • mostfahabib7475
    mostfahabib7475 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can do 22 for two and a half months
    But not healthy unless eating vegetables and protein with weight lifting cause without weight lifting the muscles in your body gets weaker.

You also need to take mix vitamins.

Wish u the best... You go girl
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Losing 55 pounds in 6 months is doable however with that being said...losing weight too fast will run the risk of developing loose skin because the body hasn't had time to adjust to such rapid weight loss/change in the body and retract back. Normal healthy weight loss is about 2-4 pounds per week on average. Also keep in mind that you will not lose weight each week. Best of luck!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Losing 55 pounds in 6 months is doable however with that being said...losing weight too fast will run the risk of developing loose skin because the body hasn't had time to adjust to such rapid weight loss/change in the body and retract back. Normal healthy weight loss is about 1-2 pounds per week on average. Also keep in mind that you will not lose weight each week. Best of luck!

Fixed it for you.
    The National Institute of health says 1-2 is a healthy rate of loss. It is possible to lose faster if you are extremely obese, but not recommended without supervision of a doctor.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1% of your bodyweight is a generally accepted upper rate for healthy fat loss.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    tigerfit99 wrote: »
    hey yall I would like to lose 55 pounds in 6 months and so far I'm already down 2 pounds still have ways to go but I know it can be done. I'm changing how I eat and making sure I get some kind of exercise daily, I restarted the gym and really starting to feel good again just need to stay focused. please feel free add me as a friend.

Unless you are morbidly obese (and judging from your profile pic if it's recent, you're not) losing approximately 10 lbs per month is neither doable nor healthy, I'm afraid. The less you have to lose, weight-wise, the slower the weight loss naturally is, unless you literally starve yourself - something which is neither sustainable nor healthy. You risk nutrient deficiencies from under-eating, along with muscle loss, hair loss, and potentially serious cardiac and gallbladder issues to name just a few.

As another poster mentioned, what's the rush? Slower healthy weight loss not only is easier for the body to adjust to without all of the potential for medical complications, but you have a *much* greater chance of actually keeping the weight off once you reach your goal.

Please reconsider your current course of action. Drop your weekly weight loss goal rate to 1 lb per week, learn to make dietary changes in your life that you can stick with, and treat your body right during the process. :)