You shall help thy neighbor hold their pants up...

Options
This is for those that have experienced the joy of running while holding your pants up. Those that have jumped for joy at a new fitness PR only to be blinded by the tent you are still wearing as a shirt and feel (yet again) your pants around your ankles. Truthfully, I've only experienced the first scenario, but the fight to stay in nice fitting/looking clothes without breaking the bank during a large weight loss is real. I would love to hear everyone's tips, tricks, lessons learned with regard to this issue. Feel free to include embarrassing free-falling clothing stories as well!

Here are a few things I've learned:

1. Your shape can change with each weight gain/loss, pregnancy, etc. My stomach was always flat even when obese, until I had kids. When I started losing weight, I purchased some cheap shirts in the next few sizes down and was so excited when I could put on a large (no X before that!). Only, they didn't look so great :( Normal shirts do not have enough room or length to flatter my stomach so I turned to MATERNITY tops. The tops with nice ruching on the side look very flattering to my midriff without being obvious that they are meant for those growing another human. I plan to keep buying them in the next size down as I need them...which leads me to...

2. Buy clothes as you need them. I love to buy clothes ahead of time. I'm ever hopeful that way, but it has bitten me in the booty several times already. I already told you about the shirts. There were also jeans. I used to pull off low rise jeans but now they are soooo uncomfortable. Mid-rise all the way! Oh, and why do I have a pair of high rise jeans? Apparently, I didn't pay attention to these details because I bought them when I COULDN'T TRY THEM ON.

3. Shop cheap and don't load up. I still can't believe how fast my body sizes down. Time flies when having fun right? Even when I feel like my weight is at a stand-still, I still look back to realize I only wore those jeans 3 times before I needed the next size.

Please add your advice, anecdotes, mistakes, etc. so we can learn and commiserate with one another. Bonus for pictures of great outfit ideas that really pulled you through several sizes!

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I do still have some older clothing in smaller sizes. Beyond those, I just don't really worry about my shirts being loose and keep drilling more holes in my belt to keep my pants up. I honestly don't even know what size pants would truly fit at this point. I just know the ones that used to be to small to button up are now huge.
  • jps2222
    jps2222 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great tips! My favorite strategy has been to shop at second hand stores when I need clothes I'm going to shrink through quickly. They're really inexpensive so I don't feel bad ditching them when I'm ready for the next size down.
  • driving_miss_crazy
    driving_miss_crazy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    jps2222 wrote: »
    Great tips! My favorite strategy has been to shop at second hand stores when I need clothes I'm going to shrink through quickly. They're really inexpensive so I don't feel bad ditching them when I'm ready for the next size down.

I did finally check out a local goodwill and found so great items. Went back again and found nothing. It's frustrating that's it's so hit and miss but that's the nature of the beast.
  • driving_miss_crazy
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    Fortunately, I do still have some older clothing in smaller sizes. Beyond those, I just don't really worry about my shirts being loose and keep drilling more holes in my belt to keep my pants up. I honestly don't even know what size pants would truly fit at this point. I just know the ones that used to be to small to button up are now huge.

Keep it up! I see great tips in here: get pants that allow for a belt. And (I'm going to assume) shirts with a closer neckline. I always wear scoop neck shirts and they get quite indecent quickly. Nothing like giving a peek of the bra every time i bend over.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good tips - thanks for sharing. Some that have kept me going:

I changed size and shape so much just between March and July this year that two of my most favourite clothes items (a skirt and some tailored trousers) that I'd only bought in March for my birthday hadn't had nearly enough wear out of them! So I recently decided to take them to a professional seamstress to be altered. It worked a treat, and worked out at a fraction of the cost of buying new replacements in a smaller size.

I have a teenage daughter who regularly clears out her wardrobe of clothes she no longer likes or wears - I never thought I'd say this, but I've started trying on her off-casts and have picked up quite a few nice items that I never would have thought would have fit me!!

As the weather has been getting chillier I've pulled out all my 'now-too-big' sweaters and woollies - and found that tumble drying them after washing has helped to make them shrink a bit to fit better. What have you got to lose?!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    girlgroves wrote: »
    As the weather has been getting chillier I've pulled out all my 'now-too-big' sweaters and woollies - and found that tumble drying them after washing has helped to make them shrink a bit to fit better. What have you got to lose?!

I wasn't even thinking about this. I used to do the wash on cold and dry on delicate then stretch and pray it still fits drill. Now, wash and dry on hot and hope it shrinks.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You will get better shrinking of fabric by quickly changing temperatures, so if you have the ability to wash on hot, rinse in cold, then dry on hot - you will get maximum shrinkage.
  • driving_miss_crazy
    Options
    Will have try the shrinking tips! I'm also currently trying my hand at sewing with a borrowed sewing machine.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    well my walk today had me holding up my pants lol so I feel you.

my husband and I were walking downtown to go for lunch I had a dress that came past my knees and my underwear fell rigjt to my ankles. I was so embarrassed but I knew if I bent down to pull them up everyone would see. I stepped out and we walked to the car went home changed and went under ware shopping right after lunch lol...never again!!

when I go buy new jeans I buy them tight they don't look good but I know by the ti.e I pull them out to wear in a week the will be perfect.
    always buy pants with belt loops.
    2nd hand shops.
    I stick with bare min. 2 pair dress pants 2 jeans and some shirts.
    once a month a now go and buy new underwear.
    workout clothes need a drawstring!
    don't buy coats till you need them
    you feet could change too...my shoes went down a size.
    I don't buy pj's just wear those big ol baggy shirts.
    I don't buy expensive as they are temporary
  • driving_miss_crazy
    Options

my husband and I were walking downtown to go for lunch I had a dress that came past my knees and my underwear fell rigjt to my ankles. I was so embarrassed but I knew if I bent down to pull them up everyone would see. I stepped out and we walked to the car went home changed and went under ware shopping right after lunch lol...never again!

Oh my! I don't know if I could stop laughing if this had happened to me :) great tips-thanks!
  • walkjem
    walkjem Posts: 47 Member
    Options

my husband and I were walking downtown to go for lunch I had a dress that came past my knees and my underwear fell rigjt to my ankles. I was so embarrassed but I knew if I bent down to pull them up everyone would see. I stepped out and we walked to the car went home changed and went under ware shopping right after lunch lol...never again!

Funny! Your story reminds me of my mom's WWll stories of ladies undies falling down because they lacked elastic during the war. They would nonchalantly step out of the fallen item and toss them in their purse!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Leggings and tunics. They'll hold you through several size changes and still look stylish.

I've also found some really nice yoga-ish pants that are nice enough to wear as slacks. The ones I love are stretch fabric, but have pockets.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    I have had great luck at the thrift store. Jeans are tough though, I did what someone above did....bought a pair too tight knowing they would losen up and they did. I think it even helped motivate me!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Learn to tailor a bit if you can. I've extended the life of many's the shirt by pulling in the seams a bit at critical points. For pants...Goodwill. I've bought nearly half my current wardrobe there. Good stuff. :)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    girlgroves wrote: »

I wasn't even thinking about this. I used to do the wash on cold and dry on delicate then stretch and pray it still fits drill. Now, wash and dry on hot and hope it shrinks.

I used to swear my clothes shrank in the closet because of course it was the clothes and my gaining weight . . . I too, too the washing in hot water and putting in the dryer my cashmere sweaters because I could not imagine them on anyone but me :)

Also, being a seamstress I was able to take up and remake some of my clothes along the way and if you can find someone that sews this is a great way to still have somethings that fit along the way.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Leggings and tunics. They'll hold you through several size changes and still look stylish.

I've also found some really nice yoga-ish pants that are nice enough to wear as slacks. The ones I love are stretch fabric, but have pockets.

This is what I'm going to do. I have only been wearing the color black while I have been overweight. Hides my size better, plus people are so use to me wearing only black they don't bother to look to closely.

TODAY, I put on a pair of pants that have been in my closet for 4 years, and I could finally get them on! Such a thrill. Still though, I'm going to do the yoga pants thing. I always wear black tee shirts with a v-neck that I get from Target, then I accessorize with scarves, cardigan like sweaters, black flats, unique earrings, and always make sure I wear a pop of color in lipstick. Red gets instant attention that nobody really cares what you are wearing...

This will be my look until I get to my maintenance size, 85 lbs to go....
  • driving_miss_crazy
    Options
    @mysteps2beauty, I've heard having a "uniform" each day really helps a person be more productive with less decisions to make. Sounds stylish!
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm cheap and hate shopping so I bought a leather punch to add holes to my belt.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I work for a financial services company, and I have to look sharp, every day. For a while I shopped at Goodwill for pants that would fit, as a new pair of pants wouldn't last me very long. I feel that wearing pants that are too big on me, even with a belt to hold them up, just looks cheap (and, I can't look cheap where I work).

Given that I'm only about 15lb from goal weight now, I shop the sales at my favorite stores when the discounts are DEEP. Yesterday I picked up 4 pairs of dress slacks and 2 beautiful sweaters from The Limited for $130. I purposefully bought them on the tighter side, so I can hopefully still be wearing them 15 lbs from now.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    jps2222 wrote: »

I did finally check out a local goodwill and found so great items. Went back again and found nothing. It's frustrating that's it's so hit and miss but that's the nature of the beast.

It is very hot and miss!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!