Exercising but not losing weight at all

Options
It's been a whole month since I started running and I've ran everyday single day without fail. I run 7.3km at around 45-50minutes everyday but I've not lost any weight at all. It might be because of my diet, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Here's what I eat usually, can anyone provide suggestions as to what to improve? It's demoralising to see the scales not budging.
Morning: 1-2 apples, 1 coconut (some days), 1 kiwi. 2 bowls of cereals with milk. 1 bread.
Afternoon: Soup + Leafy vegetables + 1-2 apples/other fruits
Night: edameme, 2 hardboiled eggs, 1-2apples

As you can see I have a huge appetite in the morning, is that wrong? I try to not eat snacks but i do indulge in oreos or other biscuits but at most it's half a roll of packet of oreos

Replies

• merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi! Do you track your calories? Even with all your running (great job by the way!!) it's all about how many calories you're eating. If you're eating more than you're burning than you won't lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    typtop wrote: »
    It's been a whole month since I started running and I've ran everyday single day without fail. I run 7.3km at around 45-50minutes everyday but I've not lost any weight at all. It might be because of my diet, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Here's what I eat usually, can anyone provide suggestions as to what to improve? It's demoralising to see the scales not budging.
    Morning: 1-2 apples, 1 coconut (some days), 1 kiwi. 2 bowls of cereals with milk. 1 bread.

As you can see I have a huge appetite in the morning, is that wrong? I try to not eat snacks but i do indulge in oreos or other biscuits but at most it's half a roll of packet of oreos

You're eating too much if you're not losing. I gained 30 pounds over a 5 year period while running because I ate too much.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Agree with the advice above to log your food daily and start tracking the nutrients you are taking (proteins, carbs, fat, sugar). From what you list above you may be taking in more sugar than you may need (according to your list you are eating about 6 apples a day -is that correct?). Are you by chance drinking juice or soda as well?

You may also consider switching to whole grains (eg whole wheat bread, brown rice etc). You may not be getting enough protein and/or healthy fats. Those two things (proteins and healthy fats) may help you feel satiated for a longer period. It sounds like you have a very good exercise program. You may need to tweak your food intake. Good luck!
  • SalehAlhrbi1989
    SalehAlhrbi1989 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you, you might lose some weight in a form of fat and turns into a muscle. Some people believe in numbers that appears in a scales and they don't do the actual measurement of their body which is a waist as well as hips.
  • typtop
    typtop Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do track my calories however I would begin in the morning and lose count afterwards especially when consuming cereals because it's so tedious. And (not sure if anyone experiencd the same thing) if i see my calories overshooting, I just stop. I know this is bad but this cycle repeats everyday despite knowing what I need to do. By the way, does anyone know of any food I can eat in the morning to feel fuller? I've tried eating eggs, eatig oatmeal etc but it doesnt seem to keep me full:( About the coconut, it's thai botak coconut and I always feel full after drinking the water and eating the flesh which was why I felt it was okay so long as i feel full, perhaps other healthier recommendations?
  • mostfahabib7475
    mostfahabib7475 Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

• typtop
    Options
    I think you, you might lose some weight in a form of fat and turns into a muscle. Some people believe in numbers that appears in a scales and they don't do the actual measurement of their body which is a waist as well as hips.
    Hi yes! I've realised I lost a bit of fats in my stomach areas and thighs but just a bit and it was in the initial phase of running but now it seemed to stop or even worse, going back? which was why i thought it might be due to my diet:/

• mostfahabib7475
    mostfahabib7475 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Change your diet! It happened to me as well. Don't let the body gets familiar with one diet only.

Have one day per week when you eat everything you want with small ratio ( free day) to tackle you calories burning.

And running is useless for people like you and I.

Do the walking or running for 30 min tops then start lifting light weight.
  • typtop
    Options
    @Sued0nim I do agree I should track my calories and be more meticulous and hardworking, I shall try from now on:)
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Oreos as well, wow, that's plenty of sugar.... with all the foods that have high sugar, maybe you are not feeling satiated...
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    ....i think they call them empty calories?
  • typtop
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    LOL I totally missed the half packet of Oreos

So 40 calories per Oreo if standard Oreo ..36 in a packet ...half a packet is 18

18x40 = 720 calories

I just don't get why you're surprised you're not losing weight

You should actually be gaining

actually, I dont know what your defn of half a packet means but mine is around 5-6 cookies w/o the cream:)
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Track your calories, period. Wanna know what is tedious? Watching what you eat, and expecting to lose weight, but not. That is even more tedious than tracking... xD

Also, small things add up. Like someone pointed out, the oreo thing adds a ridonk amount of calories. That 720? That is literally half of my day's calories to maintain my weight.
  • typtop
    edited October 2016
    Options
    LOL I totally missed the half packet of Oreos

So 40 calories per Oreo if standard Oreo ..36 in a packet ...half a packet is 18

18x40 = 720 calories

I just don't get why you're surprised you're not losing weight

You should actually be gaining

actually, I dont know what your defn of half a packet means but mine is around 5-6 cookies w/o the cream:)

OK ..I eat cookies most days but I count and log them

I'm now getting worried about you

What are you doing with the cream? ;)

i throw them away:/ it might be a waste but it's nt because I'm saving on the calories but just purely because I dislike them, wish oreo only sold the cookies
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Eat in deficiency--Lose weight. It's simple.

Diet is for weight loss. Exercise is for fitness.