working with my hubby is wrecking my diet!

Options
So three weeks ago I decided to go back to work for the first time in a long time. My husband needed a new office manager for our buisness and who better than me to fill the position. I pictured us taking walks (all the daily errands are with in 2-5 blocks of the office) and eating packed lunches. I was thinking win win save money get healthy. He pictured us eating high calorie resturant food. There is everything for a salads and I loaded the fridge with healthy snacks, but he pouts and gets super pissy with me if I suggest we stay in to eat. We could take our packed lunch and eat in the park across the street. He just keeps asking repeatedly getting more and more insistant until he breaks my spirit and guilts me into going just to end the arguement. How can I as nicely as possible get him to knock it off? I have been way over on calories most days the past few weeks. The days I manage to come in under the limit is usually because I am just too tired to eat dinner. The whole thing is frustrating. I can see the scale creeping up again. He just doesn't get it. :frown:

Replies

• crazybigchick
    Options
    So three weeks ago I decided to go back to work for the first time in a long time. My husband needed a new office manager for our buisness and who better than me to fill the position. I pictured us taking walks (all the daily errands are with in 2-5 blocks of the office) and eating packed lunches. I was thinking win win save money get healthy. He pictured us eating high calorie resturant food. There is everything for a salads and I loaded the fridge with healthy snacks, but he pouts and gets super pissy with me if I suggest we stay in to eat. We could take our packed lunch and eat in the park across the street. He just keeps asking repeatedly getting more and more insistant until he breaks my spirit and guilts me into going just to end the arguement. How can I as nicely as possible get him to knock it off? I have been way over on calories most days the past few weeks. The days I manage to come in under the limit is usually because I am just too tired to eat dinner. The whole thing is frustrating. I can see the scale creeping up again. He just doesn't get it. :frown:
  • finzup
    finzup Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What did he do for lunch before you started working there?

Tell him you are eating your lunch at your desk or at the park and he can continue to do whatever it is he did before you started working there.
  • nwfamilygal
    Options
    ask him if he would like you to be around to grow old with and share the times when you can retire. Cause if you don't change how you are eating you might not be around for him to enjoy. That is what I would ask my husband.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    When my boyfriend gets pissy, I prefer not to be around him at all. :laugh: I'd eat lunch on my own. I do it all the time anyway.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I would put my foot down, I think. If you continue to let him bully you into letting him have his way all the time, he's just going to continue to do it because he knows he can. At some point you're going to have to put your foot down and say 'Look, I'm on a diet, and if you can't respect my wishes and my needs, then you can go eat lunch alone.' I know how hard it can be to say no to someone you love, but it is necessary to establish respect and a healthy relationship, I think. And your body will thank you for it! :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    WOW...you have a busy schedule...young...mother of 4, gonna go to law school and working all day with hub. Well I guess the good parts are you and hub have your own biz and can afford restaurants every day even if it isnt healthy......like someone else said...stand up...get your side in at leawst half the time....is he the boss or a partner?

congrats on having your own business
  • Cookn
    Cookn Posts: 21
    Options
    Ok, this is from a guys side of the coin. Sometimes we aren't the most intuitive people on the planet. Have you told him what your thoughts were and are ? He probably doesn't understand what you were thinking of doing. I love my Lady with all my heart, but sometimes we end going in different directions because neither one of us communicated what our plan was or is. It's really something that you have to work at. Both of you have to be on the same page to be sure of going the same direction. Explain to him why you want to do what you want to do. He doesn't understand the ramifications of your planning or how you feel about the situation. The worst that can happen is he'll disagree with you, but at least each of you will know the others position.

Marriage isn't a contest of seeing who gets their way the most, it's a bond of two people that love each other. Life is way too short for control issues in marriage. I lived 21 years in a marriage like that, it's not worth it, you gotta trust me on that one. One thing that my Bride has taught in the absolute best 9 years of my life is, that you can only change yourself, you can't change other people no matter how hard you try. If he doesn't see your point of view and your direction, you can't change him, it only leads to discontent and bad feelings. Tell him that this is what you want to do, with him or with out him. You'll be happier and at least he'll know your point of view. You might be surprised, he might just follow along.