Salt

Options
So how much salt should I have in a day?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I follow MFP's guidelines and try not to go too far over or under.

If you have blood pressure issues then you have to be a little more exact.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you have a medical reason to limit your salt intake, your doctor should advise you as to a limit. If you don't, then it's up to you. I personally don't track it.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Depends on your health and blood pressure. I have to eat lots of salt. People with high bp have to cut salt. If you don't have medical problems not much need to track it at all. Normally your doctor should have told you if you need more or less.
  • Babs2Baby
    Babs2Baby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It depends on who you are and where you are medically. I realized if I cut my salt intake I get extremely sleepy. My thyroid can't handle it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I was trying to keep my salt below 1500 mg daily. I was succeeding and often kept it quite a distance below 1500 mg. That caught up with me and I started experience symptoms of hyponatremia. You don't want that. I discussed this with my doctor and she said I should have 2 grams of salt each day. That's 2000 mg.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So how much salt should I have in a day?

I don't worry about salt because I have very low blood pressure.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If your doctor hasn't told you, I really think you should ignore it. If you want to lose weight, you already have enough to focus on.

But - when losing weight, you'll often automatically steer towards less sodium, because you'll be looking for more nutrition/satiety for your calories, and that often corresponds with more cooking from scratch, which in turn corresponds with less salt.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    RDA is 2300 mg per day.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ive learned the hard way to stick to daily recommended allowances or my body holds onto water and the scales go up.