Not Giving Up

Options
Kaz3369
Kaz3369 Posts: 11 Member
Hi, I've been doing MFP for a few years on and off, but after a while I give up because I've been out for a meal or a day where I've eaten so many bits it would take me forever to log everything. I'm gonna have another go at it and just wondered if anyone has any tips. Has anyone else managed to keep logging everything for months/years?

Replies

• Kaz3369
    Options
    Thanks very much, that's really helpful.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've been on here since may 2011. Mostly logging, sometimes not. I don't log on holiday, and have had a few logging breaks when I've found it necessary, but a meal out (chain restaurants are in the database or just guestimate) us not a reason to stop logging IMO
  • Kaz3369
    Options
    Thanks. I do log restaurant meals when I can find them in the database, but sometimes it's difficult. It's good to know that other people have breaks for various reasons and then come back to it. I don't feel such a failure now.
  • dice80
    dice80 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me control my eating a bit was logging in advance what I was going to allow myself to eat each day. I have had a little trouble with this lately but getting back into it
  • Kaz3369
    Options
    That's a really good idea dice80!
  • elleelle03
    elleelle03 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling as well but not giving up. I did very well for a couple of months then got off track. I'm working myself back now but what I have found helpful is connecting to those who have been successful, I look at their daily log and I ask questions. I find people on here are very helpful
  • Kaz3369
    Options
    Where do I find these people on here?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Log every time you eat that "little bit" of something. Days like that the calories can really add up. And you might realize it and turn the day around if you log as you eat, not after.

Also checking nutrition as well as just calories helps me- so I don't just need to hit a certain calorie number but I see if I need to get more protein or if I'm already high on sugar or fat... it keeps me more aware and helps me make better food choices. Do you follow the macros guidelines or just count calories?
  • Kaz3369
    Options
    I try to follow the macros but always end up eating too much fat. I find eating avocados, nuts, olive oil etc quite often puts me over, but as I'm trying to lower my ldl cholesterol I don't want to give them up.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Kaz3369 wrote: »
    I try to follow the macros but always end up eating too much fat. I find eating avocados, nuts, olive oil etc quite often puts me over, but as I'm trying to lower my ldl cholesterol I don't want to give them up.

Well if it's for medical reasons that's fine. Just try to get enough protein and not go over your sugar limit and don't worry about the fat then.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Kaz3369 wrote: »

Well if it's for medical reasons that's fine. Just try to get enough protein and not go over your sugar limit and don't worry about the fat then.

OP doesn't need to worry about sugar unless she has a medical reason?
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Well in general isn't it good to keep your sugar within the recommended limits? For good health?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Well in general isn't it good to keep your sugar within the recommended limits? For good health?

if i eat an apple, a banana and a salad in a day, MFP says i've had too much sugar....?
  • JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You know you need to eat what feels right for your body. If you don't have any medical problems you don't have to watch your sugar salt or anything else then basically just do what your body says you need to decrease your weight and get healthy. And don't forget to put your doctor in the loop. That way they can advise you what would be the best thing for you and your body based on your chemical panel and your stats