do i need to eat back the calories i burn?

Options
Hi everybody :)

I was just wondering if I need to eat back whatever I burn at the gym. Usually I burn from 600-800 calories at the gym and only eat about 1200. Would eatting more help me to lose weight faster?

Replies

• chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    OMG did you just open a can of worms, lol! the "eat back your exercise calories" debate is always a lively one...get ready for it!
  • pbolton16
    pbolton16 Posts: 87
    Options
    Depends on how your progressing!!!
    Everyone can be different with this
  • www_getfitrx_com
    Options
    Ah ... a tough one with a thousand opinions!

If you want to gain muscle ... you need to replace it with lean protein and complex carbs in order to build muscle ... to lose fat ... stick to protein and lower carbs ... but don't undereat and put stress on your body ... when you work out ... your body does need building blocks to repair and heal ... a workout is hard on the body ... just be good to yourself ...
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    LOL

and here we go.
    take 2,105,105
    and.........action!!!
  • Gojira74
    Gojira74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It is advisable to get a net intake of at least 1200 calories a day. If you eat 1200 and burn 600 then you only actually took in 600. Your body needs 1200 just to do regular house keeping. If you are eating 1800 and burning 600 then you don't necessarily have to "eat them back," but I would not let your net go below 1200. It can start to cause muscle wasting and blood sugar issues.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    OMG did you just open a can of worms, lol! the "eat back your exercise calories" debate is always a lively one...get ready for it!

LOL! I was thinking the same thing!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    It really depends. I lost about 15 pounds with eating them back, and then hit a plateau. I stopped, and now the weight started coming off. As long as you're netting around 1200, I think you're good. Just listen to what your body is telling you, and go from there!
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    i normally dont because i never know if i really burned the calories mfp says i did because i dont have an hrm but if u have one and ur net calories isnt at the point that MFP gave you yet after working out and eating, then yes, eat the calories up to that net calories.
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    Personally I don't...I stay at about 1500 cals..no matter if I worked out for an extra 300 or 1500 cals ..I am so far doing alright..I take it a week at a time..Right now this works for me..I would do what works for you and when it quits? Re-evaluate your numbers...
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I say that you should eat some of them back if you are burning 600-800 cal and only taking in 1200 in a day then you are only really netting like 600 a day. Your body needs fuel for it to work properly. I never eat all my excercise calories back. If you are hungry then yeah eat some of them for sure. If you are not and you are healthy and losing weight without eating them and your not hungry then I say don't worry about them.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you are still trying to lose weight to get to your desired goal then don't, because if you don't eat your burn calories you will get to that goal faster. I myself never eat my exercise burn calories and I got my goal weight a month ago and still working out I'm not eating my burn calories and I'm not losing or gaining weight, but just getting ripped and I love it... :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • quadgirlkim46
    quadgirlkim46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't because then whats the point of exercising if your just gonna eat all the calories back....I might have a 100 calorie snack so that would bring my calories to 1300 but I would never eat all the calories back. Thats a good question does anyone have anything to say about this I am curious. My question would be...Then why exercise???? thanks...
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    Everyone is different. There are people who are adamant on eating exercise calories and those who aren't. You need to find what works for you. I usually only have time to exercise after dinner, so eating my exercise calories depends on how well I did during the day. I'm definitely not going to eat something at 11 at night just so I can get more calories!! You just have to use trial and error and continue with what works and stop doing what doesn't. You also don't want to force feed yourself and get sick. That's definitely not fun, trust me!
  • chelseawilliamson
    Options

lmbo!! nice.. i'd like to hear this dicussion!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I personally wouldn't because then whats the point of exercising if your just gonna eat all the calories back....I might have a 100 calorie snack so that would bring my calories to 1300 but I would never eat all the calories back. Thats a good question does anyone have anything to say about this I am curious. My question would be...Then why exercise???? thanks...

Exercising will tone and shape your muscles, rather than leaving you flabby. There's only so much a calorie deficiency can do for you... If you want to shape up, you need to exercise and strength train.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP's program is designed for you to EAT back your exercise calories so you maintain your deficit at safe and sustainable levels (you'll lose weight at your chosen rate of loss without lifting a finger in exercise based on what MFP gives you as a calorie goal (0.5 lbs 1 lb 1.5 or 2 lbs a week)
    Also what's with the 1200 calories 1200 calories, MFP can't be giving ALL of us 1200 as a calorie goal (not intending to lump ME in there) I am eating 2000 calories a day and losing weight just fine because it's a reduction in calories from what I was formerly eating.