Strawberry Protein Shake HELP!!!

lucymagie
lucymagie Posts: 6 Member
edited October 2016 in Food and Nutrition
So I have recently bought 2 different flavours of protein shake to use as meal replacements ( 1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch and then a healthy dinner ) to help me shed the last bit of weight and to build lean muscle.

I have discovered that my chocolate shake works well with skimmed milk, 1-2 teaspoons of coffee and a tablespoon of nutella/chocolate spread (naughty I know) and mix it together with a hand blender. Tastes great!

Unfortunately, I am having trouble figuring out what to put in my strawberry shortcake shake.. I have tried just skimmed milk and today skimmed milk with vanilla yogurt and half a tbsp of peanut butter.. Tastes very odd but better than with just milk.

Am really stuck on what to add to the strawberry shake to make it taste better.. With just milk it tastes too sickly and leaves an odd taste in your mouth.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!!

Lucy x

Replies

• MyWeigh58
    MyWeigh58 Posts: 22 Member
    How about fresh or frozen strawberries, or a tropical fruit? Instead of skim milk what about using almond/coconut milk?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Strawberries?
  • josh_lyke
    josh_lyke Posts: 10 Member
    Use almond milk unsweetened vanilla tastes best. Chop up a banana or just use frozen bananas maybe some frozen strawberries a tsp or so of peanut butter and it should be alot better and fill you up more than with just milk. Hope i helped :)
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Adding some real fruit might help, it's odd how artificial things end up tasting. MyWeigh58's response reminded me of my smoothies...frozen fruit (strawberries, mango), yogurt, and a bit of water to thin). I tried adding peanut butter once, no go for me.
  • lucymagie
    edited October 2016
    psulemon wrote: »

Protein shakes are not supposed to be use for meal replacements. They supplement protein short falls. Also, protein shakes do NOT build muscle. They can help get adequate protein, which can help support muscle retention if you are following a progressive overload lifting program.

To answer your original question, try some almond milk (it will thicken it up a bit) and add some fruit and ice.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-diet-whey/10530657.html?variation=10615803

I am currently undergoing strength training and using a PT who has advised me this is completely safe to do. I am in no way putting my body at harm - these shakes fill me up and am still getting the nutrients I need through my diet/food. I know protein shakes do not build muscle just by drinking them but the extra protein and a mixture of strength training should help.

I think I may try almond milk though so thank you! My only problem is that at work (i work full time 5 days a week) we have no place to store anything frozen and am worried fruits will go out of date too quickly (or other people will eat them)

Am I able to make up a shake the night before (with fruit and ice) and then take to work the next day? or will it go gross??
  • lucymagie
    MyWeigh58 wrote: »
    How about fresh or frozen strawberries, or a tropical fruit? Instead of skim milk what about using almond/coconut milk?

Thanks! I think I will try frozen fruits at the weekend ( we have no freezer at work :( ) and in the meantime I think I will try the strawberry shake with almond milk :smile: !
  • lucymagie
    josh_lyke wrote: »
    Use almond milk unsweetened vanilla tastes best. Chop up a banana or just use frozen bananas maybe some frozen strawberries a tsp or so of peanut butter and it should be alot better and fill you up more than with just milk. Hope i helped :)

Thanks for this! Almond milk defo seems the way to go! may even try bananas too!

I already find the shakes pretty filling it just seems to be the taste of the strawberry one at the moment (pinching my nose whilst drinking them!)
  • lucymagie
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    Adding some real fruit might help, it's odd how artificial things end up tasting. MyWeigh58's response reminded me of my smoothies...frozen fruit (strawberries, mango), yogurt, and a bit of water to thin). I tried adding peanut butter once, no go for me.

I found the peanut butter took out the overly sweet taste and weird aftertaste but just tasted wrong to drink :lol:

May try adding yogurts and fruit in my next shake! thanks!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Maybe it's the sucralose sweetener in the strawberry shake giving the odd taste?
    I found a brand that uses Stevia and much prefer it (UK brand The Protein Works - Naked range).

PS - I do share the concern that only eating one proper meal a day means you have to meet most of the non-protein requirements of a healthy diet just in that one meal. 5 a day fruit and veg for example.
    Protein shakes aren't really designed as meal replacements, just protein supplements if you don't get enough from your regular diet.

Just a thought - commonly people use the last bit of their weight loss phase to start preparing and practicing for maintenance so it doesn't come as a huge change in routine along with a higher calorie goal.
    Good luck.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    lucymagie wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

Protein shakes are not supposed to be use for meal replacements. They supplement protein short falls. Also, protein shakes do NOT build muscle. They can help get adequate protein, which can help support muscle retention if you are following a progressive overload lifting program.

To answer your original question, try some almond milk (it will thicken it up a bit) and add some fruit and ice.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-diet-whey/10530657.html?variation=10615803

I am currently undergoing strength training and using a PT who has advised me this is completely safe to do. I am in no way putting my body at harm - these shakes fill me up and am still getting the nutrients I need through my diet/food. I know protein shakes do not build muscle just by drinking them but the extra protein and a mixture of strength training should help.

I think I may try almond milk though so thank you! My only problem is that at work (i work full time 5 days a week) we have no place to store anything frozen and am worried fruits will go out of date too quickly (or other people will eat them)

Am I able to make up a shake the night before (with fruit and ice) and then take to work the next day? or will it go gross??

I make mine the night before and store them in the fridge. I would add strawberries and banana, because that's a mix I enjoy.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    frozen anything will help to take the weirdness out of a protein shake by distracting your mouth.

that's my experience. when i'm organized i freeze massive amounts of yogurt in ice-cube trays and stash the cubes in the freezer for shakes. i find that the less fat in the yogurt the more sour it is so the more effective for my purpose too.

a scoop of coconut flour is another thing i've done when i had a powder that was too thin and foamy for me. however bear in mind that i don't care much about calorie profiles so idek what that would add to your count.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    For your strawberry shake:

Coconut oil is a pleasant (not weird tasting) way to add fat to your shake. Chia seeds as well, though they will add texture. Spinach ups the micronutrient and fiber content (if you can handle your strawberry shake going green) and obviously any kind of complementary fruit will boost carb/fiber (a frozen berry mix, blueberries, banana-a thickener-, etc.).

As per blending the night before, if you have a good insulated bottle, it'll keep and be just as delicious and consistent (after shaking a little as it'll settle).
  • SpeakInCode
    SpeakInCode Posts: 1 Member
    Strawberry or other well paired flavors of Gatorade. Also if you like those chocolate oranges that are available around Christmas time, pair your chocolate shake mix with orange Gatorade!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I add concentrated candy flavorings (like Capella or The Flavor Apprentice) sometimes. They're all calorie free and there's literally hundreds of different flavors. There are all sorts of really great flavors to add to a vanilla or plain powder to make interesting combos. My favorite flavors are cinnamon sugar cookie, blueberry muffin and cheesecake.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    edited October 2016
    I mix my protein powder with unsweetened almond milk and a container of Greek yogurt. I like the Oikos Triple Zero as it's quite low in sugar.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    I use water (or coconut milk), one or two ice cubes, a cup of frozen fruit, and a quarter cup full fat ricotta or full fat greek yogurt along with the protein powder in my smoothies. Stevia or monk fruit for sweetening. The ricotta or yogurt adds richness, and the ice cubes and frozen fruit add thickness. Sometimes I'll add cocoa powder or flavoring as well.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I never go for strawberry protein, IMO it always tastes funky or artificial. Nope. nope. Nope.

You can try making it into a shake with frozen strawberries, a frozen banana, maybe add some frozen blackberries or raspberries along with vanilla soy milk. I can somewhat tolerate it that way.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    For some reason the only thing I like my strawberry protein in is plain oatmeal.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    zilkah wrote: »
    For some reason the only thing I like my strawberry protein in is plain oatmeal.

+1

I've been a big fan of putting oatmeal in my shakes lately.
    I second the almond milk suggestion, or even cashew milk. For strawberry, I would think strawberries, bananas, or peanut butter could work, or even some vanilla yogurt.