Hot Yoga...

Options
rjs3455
rjs3455 Posts: 67 Member
Has anyone heard of Hot Yoga? I guess it’s where you do yoga in a sauna type setting. My friend goes every week and supposedly you burn tons of calories... I am going with her tonight but I am hesitant as to if it really burns good calories or if it just makes you sweat? I know Yoga its self is a good work.… so I am just curious of others opinions.

Replies

• erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    idk! Yoga is tough enough when it isnt 115 degrees! :bigsmile:
  • Bapo622
    Bapo622 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do hot yoga and I love it! You sweat a ton which cleans lot's of toxins out of your body. It's a great strength workout, great stretching and definitely burns calories. I started wearing my heart rate monitor to class and I usually burn between 350 to 400 cals per session. Hope you enjoy it!
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Go hydrated...WELL HYDRATED! You'll sweat out tons of toxins (a plus) AND the heat will help you stretch more deeply than you would in a regular yoga class. I've heard of people walking out of hot yoga classes puking so start hydrating NOW and you'll be fine. And remember if they start doing something crazy no one's going to judge you if you hang out in child's pose :) Good luck, and HAVE FUN!
  • norcosvt2003
    norcosvt2003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, and it is AWESOME! I go 10 times a month. A friend introduced it to me when I was living in Las Vegas about a year ago, and it took a deal on LivingSocial for me to get back into it. The effects have been huge though. I was suffering of a torn labrum from baseball, and since I have been practicing regularly the symptoms have seemed to dissipate. It is a great compliment to weight training and regular cardio.
  • rjs3455
    rjs3455 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone! I am excited to try it out!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I do hot yoga, but I am skeptical of the high calorie burns.

For the record I do a heated vinyasa, I have never tried the bikram style.
  • myowncrazycool
    myowncrazycool Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do Bikram Yoga, but I don't believe it burns as many calories as I once thought it did. I'm currently doing Insanity (a workout with dvds). It is a very high impact cardio workout that makes me sweat as much as Bikram and I usually burn between 350 and 450 calories...I don't think you would burn much more than that from Bikram, but it does have a lot of other benefits.