Discouraged

Options
I know it takes time for weight to drop and things to change and it takes a lot of work and consistency.

What are things that help you keep from getting discouraged with your weight loss? What helps?

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Well, what are your goals and what are you doing? How long have you been trying to lose weight? What are the challenges you have that you need help with - there are very knowledgeable people out here so it may help them to understand your situation better. There's also a flow chart that is recommended.

Have you been logging and tracking your food daily for a long enough period to see what you are eating? Have you made any changes?
  • AnnaMustLoseWeight
    AnnaMustLoseWeight Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    wrote: »
    Well, what are your goals and what are you doing? How long have you been trying to lose weight? What are the challenges you have that you need help with - there are very knowledgeable people out here so it may help them to understand your situation better. There's also a flow chart that is recommended.

Have you been logging and tracking your food daily for a long enough period to see what you are eating? Have you made any changes?

I think you might have misunderstood the post. The post is what are things that help People keep from getting discouraged. What helps when you feel that way? Solutions to help people who feel discouraged.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    ooops
  • AnnaMustLoseWeight
    AnnaMustLoseWeight Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You're good girlie!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It depends on why you feel discouraged. Are you just impatient over not seeing results fast enough? Then you have to learn to be patient. Or are you discouraged because you feel you are putting more effort in than the results you get out? Then stop working so hard, and work smarter instead. To lose weight, you need a consistent calorie deficit. Yes, that's all you need. What you need do to achieve that, will be personal for you, and you should focus on that. What you don't need to do, you shold stop, unless of course you find it rewarding and/or fun.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I look back at all the progress I've made or I think about fitness goals instead of weight loss goals. Or I just try to keep faithful without worrying about results.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Berkgal33 wrote: »
    When I'm discouraged I tell myself I didn't get overweight overnight. It took me YEARS of stuffing my face! Lol. I'm not going to get thinner overnight. It's hard work but it's worth it. I'm healthier and because I'm healthier I'm happier. Remember your goals. Knowing I can shop for clothing in the regular section now also helps for me! Keeps me motivated.
    Well said. +10

It always amazes me that people who abused their body and neglected their health for a decade or more expects to drop a pound a day or something.

Too many people want the easy way, a shortcut.
    Hard truth here folks: Taking the easy way is probably why we put on weight in the first place.
    More of the same will not fix it. Try the hard way for about as long as you took it easy before you worry too much about "slow" results.

Phrasing? Parts of that do not sound quite right. Are we still doing Phrasing?
  • Koljandertjie69
    Koljandertjie69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I get discourage I do something different each time.
    - Lately I looked up funny motivational quotes for weight loss.
    - I look at really obese photo's on the web just to remember how it narrows life for you.
    - I look at beautiful healthy fit photo's of other
    - I like to read MFP success stories
    - I took out a dress I would like to fit in and hang it where I can see it daily
    - I most of all I get excited about the small things - those 1 lbs loss, drinking all my water for the day, sticking to my few sit-ups... lol :)

Hope this is a little helpful to you.

Invite me anytime if you want more support.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    when i got discouraged i came to the mfp community for advice :)

overall i think i have in the back of my mind the reason i started this journey was for health reasons. i actually joined mfp five years ago but could never stick to more than a week so i kept gaining. this time around, it seems i've been on about 65 days (& i see the pounds seeming to melt away) - I'm walking and I'm monitoring calories - i'm waiting to see how long this lasts - it seems i've lost in 65 days what i gained in five years? so not sure what to do when discouraged but right now i'm feeling encouraged to continue!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Things i do to not get discouraged..

1. I think about my health.. my heart.. my liver, kidneys..internal fat that is damaging..longevity not vanity
    2. I don't weigh myself I go by before photos and how clothes fit..
    3. I realize a bad day or two of feeling stuck will pass..and to not undo all the good I've done
    4. I take a photo and compare it to my "before" picture..and see progress I've made
    5. I read the success forums.. the before and after pics of faces of those who are losing.. it motivates me.
    6. I read the maintenance forum to realize there are successful people from MFP who are actually at goal and living the life of a thinner person..if they can do it I can do it...
  • Athena_fit
    Athena_fit Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Its not easy, I do feel discouraged sometimes, especially lately : it seems life is always in the way (thanksgiving, convention, business trip, overtime, seeing friends, needing a night out...).

I just try to see the bigger picture : i'm already out of the 200, my new clothes fit better, i still have time for a 17 pounds lost before christmas...but its not easy I have a lot of anxiety about it.

Fortunatly my boyfriend is a great source of motivation. He's really kind and understanding and also knows when to cut the crap. He's also a trained chef and personal trainer, so not gonna lie it helps (mostly because I want him to see me as a successful person).

Also all my friends, family and colleagues know i'm trying to loose weight so I don't wanna fail and loose face. I know that's pride, but whatever, it is what it is and it helps me keep focus.

i also was skinny and svelt for most of my life. I know I'm still a pretty girl, but i felt more pretty with 50lbs less...it's shallow, but I wanna feel pretty and sassy again.

Finally, ultimately I'm doing this for me, my health, my anxiety problems and future me. My dad has diabetes, high blood pressure, generalized anxieties disorder...I cannot state enough how much of a burden and of a struggle this has been on our family ...given this great genetic background (and there is even more) I really want to be healthy for my futur husband and kids. Thats my motivation. And thats how I keep going when i'm discouraged or have a hard time getting back at it after a few days of indulging.

Hope this helps a little. :) good luck!
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I decided to set my goals to lose 1lb per week and that is what I have been doing.....1lb....per week and it. seems.so.slow. Discouragement comes for me in the form of resentment. I resent being the one that has to monitor every single bite and I resent knowing that I could undo my last 15 weeks of work with 2 weekends of non restricted eating. Sometimes I want to eat a 400 calorie piece of soul comforting cake, but then I think about where that type of thinking has gotten me and I decide that it is best to not go down that road anymore. Everyone struggles with something, the question is how can we handle that struggle to make life better for ourselves and those around us? Bottom line is this journey is going to be difficult and long; accept that fact, sometimes you will fall, its okay get up and keep going. Don't feel like doing it today? Try to make it through to the next hour. If you think you can't make it through the day make a plan to get what you need so you won't lose total control. Did something happen in your personal life that makes you want to eat? Before you eat get a pen and paper and write all those feelings down and then see how you feel or get on the phone and talk to someone about those feelings or go to a mirror and look in that mirror and talk out loud and cry. If all else fails and you turn to food for comfort know that ITS OKAY! You did not fail! You fell. Tomorrow is another day and you can start again. I hope you feel better soon.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1. find friends to motivate you, who are honest about what they are doing. I love a post where pals vent about the sucky day they had, but are determined that tomorrow is better.
    2. Build your own goals. Not the 30 lbs in a month kind, but ones with achievable results. ex. 5-8 lbs THIS month, drinking water, getting color in your diet each day by eating veggies.
    3. Water... I have a water app to keep me on track.
    4. Look for new recipes within your diet plan.
    5. Next size down in jeans.

It's easy to get discouraged, but with clear goals, great mindset, and a support group, you can conquer it alllllll.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I saw a meme on Pinterest once that said something like "I've some too far to take orders from a cookie" and I tell that to myself.

My biggest thing is to not cave when I'm super stressed. I try to remember that I'll thank myself in one month for sticking to this plan, and I try to think about being excited to shop in regular stores and have oodles of clothing options.
  • poorlittlefish
    poorlittlefish Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I won't have the quote right but something like, 'don't get discouraged at how long it will take to reach your goal, the time will pass anyways".

I love that quote because it is true! I have been trying to get down to my pre baby weight for 8 years! Not really trying, if you know what I mean. Now I am trying and though it is slow, I am moving in the right direction for a change. That is motivating! Hang in there!
  • NotAhab
    NotAhab Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Attainable goals. Pick either 10% or 5% of your current weight --- NOT your desired end weight. Break it down into small steps. Find good rewards to give yourself for hitting small goals - new workout kit, nice chef's knife, fancy tea or some really good / healthy food.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I set short-term goals, I'm no good at long-term goals...if it takes more than 2-3 months then I'm probably going to lose interest...so, for October there's a sexy Halloween costume to fit into...then November and December will be a sexy christmas outfit to fit into...then I'll have to find something new for motivation...
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I put on the pair of shorts I could barely zip up on Memorial Day.