Don't know what to eat!

Options
I've read so much contradicting information on diet that I really have no idea what I'm supposed to eat. Carbs? Protein? Wheat or not? Dairy? Rice? I'm so confused. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is that water is good!
Those of you that have lost a bunch of weight, what did you eat and avoid? Help!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Food you like at a calorie deficit
  • sy_19440
    sy_19440 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Certain foods I don't keep in the house because I enjoy them too much but still will get an ice cream when I go out but other than that I don't really restrict anything. I watch my portions and tend to eat nutritious foods in general from all of the food groups so I have a calorie deficit at the end of the day. The only thing I avoid is the microwave meals because I don't like the taste.
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    I avoid wheat and most grains because I have a severe intolerance/sensitivity to them. I also don't eat most dairy because I'm lactose Intolerant. That's it. I eat anything and everything else. Unofficially down almost 106 so far. It's a lifestyle change and what's the point of making yourself mieserable if you dont have to.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I avoid my trigger foods (fast food, pizza, soda), but that's about it. I don't have a lot of calories to spare, so by default it's "healthy food" that I eat. Lots of lean meats, rice, potatoes, veggies, fruits, and eggs mostly. I loosely manage to my recommended macros but am often +/- in the carb/fat/protein suggestions.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    1. Calories
    2. Macros
    3. Micros/fiber/sugar/etc.

In that order.
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Easiest way - eat smaller portions of what you usually eat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me 'eat less of what you eat' would never have worked because I was mostly eating not filling high calorie foods.

I had to eat more lean meats, more veggies, more fruit, more Greek yogurt. I've been maintaining for 2.5 years and I still have to seriously limit fried foods, bread, and sweets, or I just get too hungry. I try to fit what I really want in my calories, but I really have to ask myself if it's worth it...
  • PaulaCribben
    PaulaCribben Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with the members here who have mentioned the theory of sticking to a calorie margin. Eat whatever you want, but don't go over your calorie goal for the day. You have so much more variety and don't feel deprived of stuff you like. And of course, you get calorie credit if you exercise!!
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    A healthy balance!!! I like recipes/foods that help me stay full longer but I don't deprive myself of things, I could just cut back on them in a smaller portion or reduce how often I eat that item because of the high calorie content... for me... when I know I can have a large amount of veggies vs a small amount of some high calorie item, I'm going for the large amount of veggies because it's a visual thing!
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You know, I was just as confused as you. What do I eat? Is this a protein or fat (peanut butter)? Is this a veggie or a carb (sweet potatoes)? It mattered to me because I wanted to figure this all out and how much of each type of food to eat. Then, about a month ago I stumbled onto 21 Day Fix by Beachbody and I feel like it is much clearer now. What I'm supposed to eat, how much of each thing I'm supposed to eat, etc. Yet, no food group is excluded. I lost just shy of 4 lbs my first 21 days. Then I've been doing maintenance on a Disney trip and I'm getting ready to start another round on Monday. I was happy with 4# because I only had 20 to lose total. Anyway, I know that contradiction/confusion feeling. You may want to look into it. I'm not a coach or anything. I just really think the program makes crystal clear sense and is sustainable in real life for those of us who didn't grow up learning this info.

Good luck!
  • 100poundsx
    100poundsx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is CICO. Calories in < Calories out. Don't buy into the no carb, no sugar, no fat, no sodium or whatever is the no no of the week. Burn more than you eat and you'll see results :)
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am down 115lbs since last October and when people ask me how I did it, I always say "I quit eating so much!"

Seriously I have not changed my diet, meaning WHAT I eat, but I sure as heck have changed HOW MUCH. I have learned portion control through calorie counting and logging. Changed my life for the better. So glad I found this site.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Don't avoid anything unless you;

a) Have a medical reason
    b) Don't want to eat it

This^