Strength training / lifting at home?

Options
beebydoll
beebydoll Posts: 9 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I previously made a post about being almost underweight but still having a lot of lower tummy fat. Many people suggested strength training / lifting to help build muscle. I really want to do this however I don't have the means to join a gym right now as I'm in the process of moving and trying to save every penny I can. But I have some very light dumbbells and also a kettlebell. Any way I can get started on lifting / strength training without a gym until I have the means to join one? Thank you. (I used to have a free gym on my college campus but unfortunately I've graduated :c still sad about it)

Replies

• MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    I have always worked out at home. Actually for a while my excuse was:"i need to find a good gym" and never did. finally i got my hands on some strength training dvds and followed through with those. now i print the workout programs and worksheets from bodybuilding and do those. there are also some awesome bodyweight exercises on YouTube. You can do it without a gym! :)
  • S2tupidAss
    S2tupidAss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, working out to move your body whenever you can is something you can surely do that can be very beneficial the time you visit a gym. I always wanted to go to the gym, then I calibrated strength training in my schedule at home. For the past few minutes I've been wanting to go lift so bad.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Google "Body Weight Training" and go to town.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Since you are new to this and you want wokout at home you can start with Body Weight strength training. There are many free well structured programs online. Best of luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned, body weight is all you need. There are lots of resources to let you know how to progress. Convict conditioning, you are your own gym, nerd fitness, Al Kavadlo,
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have always worked out at home. Starting with body weight strength training is a good start. You can also pick up resistance bands for a relatively low cost. Also, check out garage sales for weights and benches.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Body weight!!! Push ups, squats, etc. I use Kayla Itsines BBG, and some of the moves require equipment, but I've found most can be adapted with home furniture, or I just do a different move. You can usually find good home workout ideas on Instagram too :)
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You can do so much with just your body weight!
  • fredericktambunan
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »

No excuses
  • lolly_t
    lolly_t Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to enter a BBG workout into MyFitnessPal?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    How about looking at some of these...

BodyWeight Routines
    You are your own gym
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerd fitness beginner body weight routine

Dumbbell Routines/Beginner routines

M&S full body dumbbell routine
    German Body Comp w/ dumbbells
    Aworkoutroutine beginner training program
    Muscle for Life by Mike Matthews
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »

1000x this!

It's all you need unless your goal is to be a body builder. And even then, it's a good start for that as well.
  • liftingtheveil
    liftingtheveil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recommend book "Convict Conditioning" for BW training. Although I use slightly modified starting strength program at home until my available barbell plates become too light.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises are great. I used to have a goal of 100 push-ups a day. Then, I got a pull up bar and gradually made my way up to full pullups. I would do as many sets of 2 as I could. Saturday was my pull-up day, and I could get about 60 in. I lift now because I have access to free weights, but there are many other ways to build strength.