Fasting

Options
Does anyone here fast to limit their daily calorie intakes ???

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    How are you defining fasting?

24 hours, sunrise to sunset, 12 hours, 6 hours?

Many posters on here practice intermittent fasting and eat during a short window.
  • ezramorann
    ezramorann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I typically fast for 9 hours from breakfast to dinner, & then fast for a further 15 hours from dinner to breakfast.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    During the dieting/cutting season I fast for 16hrs (6pm-10am) but it's not just for caloric limitation, it has other benefits as well.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    When I lived with my ex Id fast from dinner to lunch.. Basically skipping breakfast

Id eat lunch between 2 and 4 and had dinner between 9-11

Now since moving into a poor house I just eat dinner
  • imaanturson
    imaanturson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am doing Intermitted fasting for the past 3 months now, and it's pretty awesome how amazing one can feel, mentally and physically!!
  • sy_19440
    sy_19440 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat after 8pm because I don't feel well when I eat late. In reality my last meal is dinner about 6:30 and breakfast is 6 am the next morning.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've moved from 16:8 to 5:2 not too long ago. It feels less restricive because eating at TDEE most days is nice.

I do 590 on Monday and Wednesday; 2360 every other day
  • Crash7676
    Crash7676 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ezramorann wrote: »
    I typically fast for 9 hours from breakfast to dinner, & then fast for a further 15 hours from dinner to breakfast.

24 hrs?
  • ezramorann
    ezramorann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you also find that fasting typically helps you lose weight ??
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ezramorann wrote: »
    Do you also find that fasting typically helps you lose weight ??

Only if you are able to achieve a calorie deficit. If you fast and then gorge on food, you can still gain weight. But many find it easier to maintain their calorie goals while fasting.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Is fasting different from what many of us do after dinner before the next meal?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    wrote: »
    Is fasting different from what many of us do after dinner before the next meal?

It's generally for extended periods of time and they eat within a given window. 16:8 is the most common. So after you eat your last meal, you fast for 16 hours and limit eating to only 8 hours.
  • iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting-my schedule is usually 14:10 I can lose weight if I follow my calories and macros-I can gain weight if I pig out. It isn't a magic bullet by itself, but if you follow your calorie deficits and stay within your macros it is a great way to increase fat loss
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I fast 20:4