Exercising but not losing weight at all

Options
2»

Replies

• Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means but your body needs rest. Running EVERY day is rough on your body. Give it a day of rest. Also the protein level seems a tad low to me.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You look to have next to no fat or protein in your diet either. This could be contributing to your hunger and need to fill up all the time on carbs.

Are you vegetarian? Remove some apples and add some protein and fat sources, either with meat or legumes/beans and start using oils. BUT make sure to weigh and measure things and log them. Use MFP, it takes most of the tedious out of it as it does the maths for you.

And I agree you need to pick your priority. Tediously not losing/gaining/staying overweight or spending a few minutes a day tracking and seeing results?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    You're focusing on the wrong thing-you need to be tracking your calorie intake and making sure you're eating at a correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    typtop wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    LOL I totally missed the half packet of Oreos

So 40 calories per Oreo if standard Oreo ..36 in a packet ...half a packet is 18

18x40 = 720 calories

I just don't get why you're surprised you're not losing weight

You should actually be gaining

actually, I dont know what your defn of half a packet means but mine is around 5-6 cookies w/o the cream:)

OP, you said you eat half a pack of oreos. Half of pack would be 18 cookies because there are 36 in a pack. Focus on cleaning up your diary/log to achieve weight loss.
  • typtop
    typtop Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You look to have next to no fat or protein in your diet either. This could be contributing to your hunger and need to fill up all the time on carbs.

Are you vegetarian? Remove some apples and add some protein and fat sources, either with meat or legumes/beans and start using oils. BUT make sure to weigh and measure things and log them. Use MFP, it takes most of the tedious out of it as it does the maths for you.

And I agree you need to pick your priority. Tediously not losing/gaining/staying overweight or spending a few minutes a day tracking and seeing results?

Hi, no im not vegetarian, i will gladly take your advice to add more beans into my diet. With everyone's advice, i realised with consistent efforts put in (logging in everyday) = results! thank you all for your constructive feedbacks:)
  • typtop
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Eat in deficiency--Lose weight. It's simple.

Diet is for weight loss. Exercise is for fitness.

hi, thankyou, though it's pretty obvious, i do need this reminder! i'll work towards having a better diet. and actually, what does OP mean? sorry pretty new to this
  • typtop
    Options
    You're focusing on the wrong thing-you need to be tracking your calorie intake and making sure you're eating at a correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

so you meant i should focus more on my diet than running right? i wished i had time to plan my meals, compared to running where i could just grab my shoes and go, meals are hard to plan and prep especially with exams around the corner, but i will try to shift my focus more on dieting, thankyou
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Not losing weight = not in a deficit.

Track your calories accurately, if you are exercising a lot you can eat back some off the calories "earned" and do this consistently.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Run more... eat less.
  • typtop
    Options

Track your calories accurately, if you are exercising a lot you can eat back some off the calories "earned" and do this consistently.

@trigden1991 hi, about this, im unsure too, all the while i thought if i cut 400kcal, i could eat all back so long as i stay within the amount of calories i need a day (e.g. 1400kcal) and does MFP cut the amount of calories you burnt by half? it doesnt seem to register the correct amount
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I run 7.3km at around 45-50minutes everyday but I've not lost any weight at all. It might be because of my diet, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Here's what I eat usually, can anyone provide suggestions as to what to improve? It's demoralising to see the scales not budging.
    Morning: 1-2 apples, 1 coconut (some days), 1 kiwi. 2 bowls of cereals with milk. 1 bread.
    Afternoon: Soup + Leafy vegetables + 1-2 apples/other fruits
    Night: edameme, 2 hardboiled eggs, 1-2apples
    [...]
    I try to not eat snacks but i do indulge in oreos or other biscuits but at most it's half a roll of packet of oreos

You're eating a monotonous diet of a half-dozen apples, a few other fruits, a bunch of cereal (with lowfat or skimmed milk, presumably)...and Oreos. With a couple of eggs and a little soy thrown in. And you're running a monotonous workout of the same distance at the same middling pace, every day, with no rest days.

That's an awful lot of sugary carbohydrates, and not nearly enough protein. Coconut is good, but maybe not a whole one every day. Swap out most of the apples and cereal for meat, fish, fowl, cheese, nuts, and green veg. Cut back the Oreos to two or three, not a dozen or more.

As a rule of thumb, slow running burns about 100 calories/mile for a 150-lb. person. (adjust according to your weight.) Whatever you weigh, that amount of running isn't going to offset all the cereal and biscuits. I'm guessing you were already somewhat fit, to run 4 1/2 miles a day at 10:00 to 11:00 pace starting only a month ago.

Running the same distance, at the same pace, with no rest days, is a recipe for boredom, burnout, and possible overuse injury. Look for a more structured training plan if you enjoy running and want to improve: switch a couple of days for shorter, faster runs, and one longer run (maybe 10K), and take a rest day every week.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

@trigden1991 hi, about this, im unsure too, all the while i thought if i cut 400kcal, i could eat all back so long as i stay within the amount of calories i need a day (e.g. 1400kcal) and does MFP cut the amount of calories you burnt by half? it doesnt seem to register the correct amount

I'm a little unsure what exactly you're asking however I'll respond best I can.

What you need to do is set your MFP up with your correct weight and select your weight loss goal. On any day you exercise you can add this to your log and "+ XXX calories" will appear. Eat back a certain percentage of these exercise calories, I recommend 50% but I know some people eat 100% of them. Hope that helps.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    OP means Original Poster or original post...so in this thread that's you
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Run more... eat less.

For a beginner runner who's already running almost 5 miles a day, 7 days a week? Sounds like great advice - if she wants overuse injuries, that is.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There's also the fact that the body adapts pretty quickly to repetitive exercise so you burn fewer calories as time goes on for the same rate/distance. So you're probably no longer burning the same amount of calories that you were when you started. Switch up the steady running with intervals and get some resistance training in as well. Don't do the same thing every day. Nothing wrong with running but understand the body's goal is to become more efficient and burn FEWER calories. Switch it up and decrease the adaptiveness.

Take Sundays to meal prep (worth it) and for goodness sake get some protein in your diet. Log everything. I ate an entire bag of fun size Twix once and logged it even though it obviously blew me past my calorie goals LOL. Things happen but you need to hold yourself accountable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's been a whole month since I started running and I've ran everyday single day without fail. I run 7.3km at around 45-50minutes everyday but I've not lost any weight at all. It might be because of my diet, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Here's what I eat usually, can anyone provide suggestions as to what to improve? It's demoralising to see the scales not budging.
    Morning: 1-2 apples, 1 coconut (some days), 1 kiwi. 2 bowls of cereals with milk. 1 bread.

As you can see I have a huge appetite in the morning, is that wrong? I try to not eat snacks but i do indulge in oreos or other biscuits but at most it's half a roll of packet of oreos

You probably have a huge appetite in the AM because most of what you eat is low in protein. Have the eggs for breakfast and meat with lunch and dinner; many people find protein satiating. Add some protein like cheese when you have apples. Less apple, more protein.

How many Oreos are you talking about? Packages come in all different sizes. I can eat a ton of Oreos and never feel full because of the low protein (and fiber.)

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running - then keep it up. Having active hobbies is good for your health/fitness.

As others have said, track your calories consumed in order to figure out why you're not losing weight.

Step 1: enter your information into MFP, choosing lightly active and set a goal to lose 1 pound a week. This should give you a reasonable calorie goal for a starting point.

Step 2: log your food consumed.

Step 3: if you are having a hard time feeling full by eating lesser amounts of what you're currently eating then try eating differently. Your daily routine is very fruit/carb heavy. Personally I have found that having some protein/carb/fat in each meal helps me feel full longer. Perhaps try having a smaller portion of cereal with 2% milk and scrambled egg whites w/ spinach/peppers/ham added in. Also, snacks are ok - just account for them and log.

Step 4: give it time to work. Aim for 3-4 weeks to see results.
  • typtop
    Options
    I run 7.3km at around 45-50minutes everyday but I've not lost any weight at all. It might be because of my diet, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Here's what I eat usually, can anyone provide suggestions as to what to improve? It's demoralising to see the scales not budging.
    [...]
    I try to not eat snacks but i do indulge in oreos or other biscuits but at most it's half a roll of packet of oreos

You're eating a monotonous diet of a half-dozen apples, a few other fruits, a bunch of cereal (with lowfat or skimmed milk, presumably)...and Oreos. With a couple of eggs and a little soy thrown in. And you're running a monotonous workout of the same distance at the same middling pace, every day, with no rest days.

That's an awful lot of sugary carbohydrates, and not nearly enough protein. Coconut is good, but maybe not a whole one every day. Swap out most of the apples and cereal for meat, fish, fowl, cheese, nuts, and green veg. Cut back the Oreos to two or three, not a dozen or more.

As a rule of thumb, slow running burns about 100 calories/mile for a 150-lb. person. (adjust according to your weight.) Whatever you weigh, that amount of running isn't going to offset all the cereal and biscuits. I'm guessing you were already somewhat fit, to run 4 1/2 miles a day at 10:00 to 11:00 pace starting only a month ago.

Running the same distance, at the same pace, with no rest days, is a recipe for boredom, burnout, and possible overuse injury. Look for a more structured training plan if you enjoy running and want to improve: switch a couple of days for shorter, faster runs, and one longer run (maybe 10K), and take a rest day every week.

Hi, you're right, I used to run 10km one day each week before and could keep up for about half a month but now I'd shorten the distance (so I feel less stressful) and I enjoy my runs now. I've been on an active lifestyle for 2-3years now since embarking on a weight loss journey, so I'm not really newbie. Many gave advice to take a break so I should but I feel awfully stressed when I dont exercise for a day so I guess I'll switch routes on alternate days and maybe run shorter distances (hitting 10k soon!) Thanks a lot for your advice!
  • typtop
    Options
    @trigden1991 yes that helps! thankyou:)