vEgan StrugGles.

Options
dazhonj
dazhonj Posts: 2 Member
I am just starting out as a vegan again .. and I had major success. I lost 40 lbs origionally ... I wasn't dealing with hunger I ate as much as I wanted and I felt great my body never failed me. I wen on vacation to Jamaica and slipped back into a carnivorous state. currently sitting around 270+ from 240 .. I wanted to get tips on maintaining a vegan lifestyle and dealing with eating a full meal complete with all nutrient needs ... I am stuggling to feel satiated or full after I eat .. I don't want to continue to eat processed foods and fillers to feel like I've maintained my caloric intake goals.
I need some guidance in preparation of foods what foods constitute a balanced meal with out cheese meats or processed breads.

Replies

• texastipton
    texastipton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out "Forks over Knives".
  • ___sthach
    ___sthach Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I prefer gluten free and vegan foods just because I like them (not into the peta stuff). Let me see if i can help you by sharing with you what I usually eat in a day. I also try to get 130g of protein a day. Although I try my best to stay away from unnatural food, sometimes I still have to take organic plant based protein powder.

Breakfast - spinach peanut butter banana protein shake , eat an apple , and then I also have a second shake for an hour later because I will get hungry OR , when I do eat tofu , I make a tofu scramble to make tofu tacos with arugula and spinach, refried beans, tomatoes, onions, quinoa, and whatever else you want to throw in there. That usually keeps me going until lunch.

Snack - nuts , fruit bowl and a shake if I didn't already have two

Lunch - one of my favorites is quinoa salad with sweet potatoes, green peppers, craisins, apple cider vinegar, agave nectar and cinnamon dressing

Snack - hummus and carrots/celery whatever you choose

Dinner - I like a huge saute kale, spinach (whatever you can throw in there) with a dash of soy sauce and red wine vinegar. Another one to stay very full and satisfied is thai red curry over rice. SO GOOD. (btw, lots of Asian dishes are vegan and gluten free already!) i use lots of lemongrass in my food too.

Snack - I usually just have some sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds

Hope that helps. Look into some Asian restaurants' menus and get an idea of what they make. Rice noodle dishes are also a favorite of mine! Good luck. (sorry, I love cooking LOL I can go on and on)
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Maybe join this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

You will find some more specific advice about vegan there, I think.

Best wishes with all your health and fitness goals!
    -s
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    dazhonj wrote: »
    I am just starting out as a vegan again .. and I had major success. I lost 40 lbs origionally ... I wasn't dealing with hunger I ate as much as I wanted and I felt great my body never failed me. I wen on vacation to Jamaica and slipped back into a carnivorous state. currently sitting around 270+ from 240 .. I wanted to get tips on maintaining a vegan lifestyle and dealing with eating a full meal complete with all nutrient needs ... I am stuggling to feel satiated or full after I eat .. I don't want to continue to eat processed foods and fillers to feel like I've maintained my caloric intake goals.
    I need some guidance in preparation of foods what foods constitute a balanced meal with out cheese meats or processed breads.

1) Don't calorie restrict To feel satisfied I eat more nuts,oats,beans. My fav for breakfast is oatmeal boiled in water, then I drain the oats add 1tbsp honey (I know it is not vegan but it is good for the lungs) and banana. I salso eat a lot of stews (bean stew, potato stew). Maybe eat less whit stuff like white bread,pasta and eat more whole grain stuff.
  • deactivatefat
    deactivatefat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Are you getting those grains in- quinoa, amaranth, spelt, wild rice... etc drinking a good amount of water?
  • superdeedooper
    superdeedooper Posts: 95 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm not officially vegan, but have cut out meat and dairy, increased my B12, and am waiting for the results. I eat grains, vegs, fruit and an occasional Oreo.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for about ten years and I feel most satisfied when I get sufficient fat and protein. Avocado, nuts/nut butters, coconut, olive oil, beans, tempeh, tofu, and seitan are some of the foods that I most frequently eat to meet these needs. Don't think that you have to eliminate all processed foods -- some of them are great ways to meet your caloric and nutrtional needs -- I often use canned tomatoes, tofu, pasta, canned coconut milk, frozen vegetables, tortillas, canned beans, protein powder, plant milks/oil, and other processed foods. Vegans don't have to avoid processed breads (although some, like non-vegans, choose to).

To create balanced meals, focus on getting sufficient protein and fat on your plate and then rounding it out with carbohydrates. "Vegan for Life" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina is a great guide to lifelong vegan nutrition for all life stages. I highly recommend it.
  • Soolfood
    Soolfood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a new vegan too, going on three months and I love it. Since I'm used to being a big eater I try to stay satiated.
    A lot of my meals are oats with fruit and I use maple syrup for sweater and soy milk for cream texture.
    I eat a lot of potatoes and rice. They keep you full and they taste awesome with lots of seasoning and ketchup. I try to stay away from salt but I do have it on occasion mainly in my takeaways.
    Also beans beans beans they are yummy and keep you full too. In the first two months I lost 18 lbs and I would've probably lost more if I exercised but I wanted to focus on diet first.
    You can eat as many veggies and fruit you'd like so adding those to your meals and snacks will have you feeling right.
    I agree with not restricting and being afraid of processed foods, it's not worth it starting out because you'll go back to eating normally.
    Good luck!!
  • crawlingfish
    crawlingfish Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    try a vegan protein powder, and make smoothies... it will help alot with feeling satisfied