5ft - 5ft3 ladies?! Anyone else eating 1200

Options
Anyone find success with 1200 cals a day and exercise? Any short girls know which cal is maintaining for you?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Considering that a toddler's calorie needs're 1,000 ~ 1,400 daily (depending upon activity levels), being taller you should be consuming a lot more than 1,200 calories; if/when you exercise! That 1,200 calorie minimum, doesn't include exercise calories!

I am 5' 3" & have a disability Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), that varies in intensity (caloric needs) daily. When I am bedridden I consume 1,200 minimum, housebound 1,300 & 1,400 when I am able to leave the house + on any of those days I consume an extra 100 calories, when menstruation symptoms begin; since the body is doing more work. If/when I exercise, I only consume half of those calories because most of the time, the calorie burns're highly inaccurate!
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I cannot see how tall she is, but I am assuming between 5' and 5'3".

I am definitely not a toddler; they are still growing so their caloric needs are not the same as a full grown adult.

I hover around 1200. I am short, older and relatively sedentary. How much one should consume is highly subjective to their life style.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited October 2016
    Options
    memickee wrote: »
    I assume this also!
    I am definitely not a toddler; they are still growing so their caloric needs are not the same as a full grown adult.
    Which is why their calorie needs're 400 in range but still valid that someone nearly twice as tall, should be consuming significantly more; even while losing weight instead of growing (gaining weight)!
    I hover around 1200. I am short, older and relatively sedentary. How much one should consume is highly subjective to their life style.
    As 1 ages, their metabolism; naturally lowers but in another thread, she mentions that she binges; which is a clear indication that she isn't consuming enough! Unless she has Binge Eating Disorder (BED).
  • MichelleNicole93
    MichelleNicole93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5ft2! I found though that with 1200 calories I lose a steady 1-2lbs weekly. If I go up to 1500csls I'm only losing .5 every two or so weeks. Doesn't work well for me. Not sure why but my body seems to like 1200
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm about 5ft2! I found though that with 1200 calories I lose a steady 1-2lbs weekly. If I go up to 1500csls I'm only losing .5 every two or so weeks. Doesn't work well for me. Not sure why but my body seems to like 1200

The 1,200 might be fine without exercising but exercise requires, more calorie consumption!

Also are you using a food scale? I ate a Hot Pocket last week & the box said it was approximately 300 calories but when I weighed it, it was over 500 calories. Therefore you might be consuming, a lot more; than you believe!
  • memickee
    Options
    I assume this also!
    Which is why their calorie needs're 400 in range but still valid that someone nearly twice as tall, should be consuming significantly more; even while losing weight instead of growing (gaining weight)!
    As 1 ages, their metabolism; naturally lowers but in another thread, she mentions that she binges; which is a clear indication that she isn't consuming enough! Unless she has Binge Eating Disorder (BED).

I see you edited your initial response to add more details.

The whole toddler analogy is comparing apples and oranges. However, I do not follow her around and have no idea what her other threads look like. I cannot make a judgment of BED based solely on what I read on this thread. Just responding to how much I eat while losing; which is suitable for my life situation at the moment.

She is also asking about success which I took to mean losing weight, then asked about maintaining. I lose at 1200ish and would maintain at 1500.

• memickee
    Options

How much are you looking to lose? What is your age? How much do you weigh now?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 ish. Currently at 63kg.

I'm starting at 1200, clean eating (paleo template, but not quite paleo). This has worked for me in the past but is much harder and slower with some medications on board.

I'm day 3 back at it. Wish me luck. My pre medication weight was always 53-56kg with similar exercise and caloric intake.

I'm aiming to get back to 56kg for now.
  • Erotyka
    Erotyka Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    5'4" and usually taking in 1000-1200, however my lifestyle is exceptionally sedentary. I'm a student and spend a lot of time sitting down reading. I 'top up' a little if I have a particularly active day. For example, today I have to walk across town to attend lectures and back again, so I'll eat a little more today.

I'm finding it's working (20lbs+ so far, and probably a little too quickly) but if I were exercising every day on that number of calories, I think I would probably feel very ill and tired after a week or so. If I don't have time to top up on days where I am more active, I get really cold and irritable, and can get headaches.

If you're trying to maintain, I would play around with far higher numbers than that. I've seen the ever-elusive 2100 quoted as being for an active woman who's around 5'7" (not sure how accurate this is though). It might be worth trying that for a month (as it takes time for metabolism to adjust) and seeing how it impacts you. If you gain, tune the calories down a little. If you lose, bring them up a little. Find out what works for you.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I assume this also!

I see you edited your initial response to add more details.

The whole toddler analogy is comparing apples and oranges. However, I do not follow her around and have no idea what her other threads look like. I cannot make a judgment of BED based solely on what I read on this thread. Just responding to how much I eat while losing; which is suitable for my life situation at the moment.

She is also asking about success which I took to mean losing weight, then asked about maintaining. I lose at 1200ish and would maintain at 1500.

I am only aware of her other thread because it was posted, around the same time; as this 1 & within the same section. Since she didn't mention how she determines, her food calories; I suspect that she might be slightly overeating & possibly the binging might be a result of comfort, for not achieving her weight loss goal; rather than actual hunger.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Erotyka wrote: »
    5'4" and usually taking in 1000-1200, however my lifestyle is exceptionally sedentary. I'm a student and spend a lot of time sitting down reading. I 'top up' a little if I have a particularly active day. For example, today I have to walk across town to attend lectures and back again, so I'll eat a little more today.

I'm finding it's working (20lbs+ so far, and probably a little too quickly) but if I were exercising every day on that number of calories, I think I would probably feel very ill and tired after a week or so. If I don't have time to top up on days where I am more active, I get really cold and irritable, and can get headaches.

If you're trying to maintain, I would play around with far higher numbers than that. I've seen the ever-elusive 2100 quoted as being for an active woman who's around 5'7" (not sure how accurate this is though). It might be worth trying that for a month (as it takes time for metabolism to adjust) and seeing how it impacts you. If you gain, tune the calories down a little. If you lose, bring them up a little. Find out what works for you.

When consuming at an extreme deficit, your metabolism also lowers; making it increasingly difficult to lose weight & then maintain what was lost!
  • Erotyka
    Erotyka Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When consuming at an extreme deficit, your metabolism also lowers; making it increasingly difficult to lose weight & then maintain what was lost!

Agreed, and I wouldn't recommend what I'm doing to everyone. It works for me at the moment because I'm pretty overweight. Over time, it's quite likely I'll have to change how I acquire my deficit and actually tune my calories up for a while to continue losing. I may actually have to leave my desk once in a while *gasps with horror*.
  • NintendoStarr
    NintendoStarr Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I find restricting my calories all day everyday really daunting. I lost 3 stone in the past, but situations change.. People change.. Y'know. I've found the 5:2 diet helping a lot with it. I feel Like I'm only dieting 2 days a week. And it's helped my appetite immensely.

I'd suggest trying it. The health benefits are unreal :blush:

EDIT: I'm also 5ft2 and needing to lose 40lbs! have lost 5lbs in the last 3 weeks using this method!
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and have lost about 30 pounds so far eating around 1,750/day. I don't do much deliberate exercise (yet), but I do consider myself lightly active. I spend my days chasing a 4 year old and working at his preschool (so chasing lots of 4 year olds).

I am happily losing about .5 pound per week. Every time I restricted more I found myself thinking about food constantly, and I was miserable. I always fell off the wagon, binged, hated myself for failing, said *kitten* it, and stopped logging for months. This time I've stuck with it as well as I've wanted to, and lost more than I ever did when I restricted more.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Me! I am not quite 5'2'', if I calculate out my maintenance at a sedentary activity level (I have a desk job), I am around 1500. Based on non-exercise days, this seems about right. I usually eat about 1200 a day. Sometimes a bit lower. Generally not lower than 1100. I do sometimes consume more (usually on special occasions or there are days that I just need to eat more!). I try to keep that below maintenance and not too often. I find that it really is not too hard, but you have to get used to eating a lot of veggies if you want your plate to look full. Good thing I love veggies!

A lot of people seem to think that anything below 1200 will suddenly put you in this starvation mode where you can no longer lose weight and are ruining your metabolism. Which may be true over time for the average person that has maintenance between 2000-2500. For me, 1200 is only a 300 calorie deficit and working out would increase that to more. That is not even a pound a week and by no means unsafe. If I were to start eating around 1500 a day, it would take weeks to lose one pound. To tell someone that they need to eat at their maintenance level because an amount slightly below that will put them in a phantom "starvation mode" is silly. If you were to tell someone with an average height and average activity to eat 2000 a day to lose weight, they would laugh at you. To lose weight, you need a deficit. If you are small, you are probably going to fall into a territory that would would be unsafe for average people. It takes less to feed someone that is 5'2'' than someone that is 5'7''. To have one flat number that is considered starving yourself for everyone, just doesn't make sense. Also, comparing the calorie needs of a toddler to a women who is done growing and less active is silly. They have much different needs.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited October 2016
    Options
    aliem wrote: »
    Me! I am not quite 5'2'', if I calculate out my maintenance at a sedentary activity level (I have a desk job), I am around 1500. Based on non-exercise days, this seems about right. I usually eat about 1200 a day. Sometimes a bit lower. Generally not lower than 1100. I do sometimes consume more (usually on special occasions or there are days that I just need to eat more!). I try to keep that below maintenance and not too often. I find that it really is not too hard, but you have to get used to eating a lot of veggies if you want your plate to look full. Good thing I love veggies!

A lot of people seem to think that anything below 1200 will suddenly put you in this starvation mode where you can no longer lose weight and are ruining your metabolism. Which may be true over time for the average person that has maintenance between 2000-2500. For me, 1200 is only a 300 calorie deficit and working out would increase that to more. That is not even a pound a week and by no means unsafe. If I were to start eating around 1500 a day, it would take weeks to lose one pound. To tell someone that they need to eat at their maintenance level because an amount slightly below that will put them in a phantom "starvation mode" is silly. If you were to tell someone with an average height and average activity to eat 2000 a day to lose weight, they would laugh at you. To lose weight, you need a deficit. If you are small, you are probably going to fall into a territory that would would be unsafe for average people. It takes less to feed someone that is 5'2'' than someone that is 5'7''. To have one flat number that is considered starving yourself for everyone, just doesn't make sense. Also, comparing the calorie needs of a toddler to a women who is done growing and less active is silly. They have much different needs.

1st lower metabolism & starvation mode're 2 completely separate things because 1 of them's a myth (starvation mode) 2nd 1,200 calories're typically fine without exercise, not so with exercising! The problem is that if 1 unnecessarily lowers their metabolism, they also lower; how much they're able to consume. If you'd like to consume as much as possible & without having to exercise, solely to compensate a lower metabolism; then why not consume as much as possible & still be in an appropriate deficit, to lose or level, to maintain?
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" but no 1200 cals here... I tried it years ago when I was an MFP noob, lost weight quickly and still looked.... not at all how I thought 105 lbs should look... Because bye bye lean muscle mass :cry:

I maintain on about 1700-1750 calories and eat 1400 when cutting. (Ok, I *try* to eat 1400... It can be tough.)
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options

1st lower metabolism & starvation mode're 2 completely separate things because 1 of them's a myth (starvation mode) 2nd 1,200 calories're typically fine without exercise, not so with exercising! The problem is that if 1 unnecessarily lowers their metabolism, they also lower; how much they're able to consume. If you'd like to consume as much as possible & without having to exercise, solely to compensate a lower metabolism; then why not consume as much as possible & still be in an appropriate deficit, to lose or level, to maintain?

The problem with that is that the 1200 number came from subtracting 1000 calories from the average TDEE. The 1000 calorie floor comes from various studies about how much is a safe amount to lose. The 1200 net is for an average person. It may work for you, but it certainly would be painstakingly slow for me. Saying that a 5' woman has the same floor as a 6' woman is silly.
  • Kate157120
    Kate157120 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and successfully lost about a pound a week eating 1320/day in the past. Unfortunately, I did not maintain that loss. I am back (as of today) and plan to try 1400. If any other short ladies are looking for MFP friends, please add me.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited October 2016
    Options

The problem with that is that the 1200 number came from subtracting 1000 calories from the average TDEE. The 1000 calorie floor comes from various studies about how much is a safe amount to lose. The 1200 net is for an average person. It may work for you, but it certainly would be painstakingly slow for me. Saying that a 5' woman has the same floor as a 6' woman is silly.

That 1,200 calorie minimum, also includes gender + various ages, weights & activity levels, that aren't additional exercise! Height's only 1/5th, of the equation!