Stalled for 10-days & Questions about TDEE Values

Options
bele2009
bele2009 Posts: 137 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello all,

I have been logging everything (with food scale) over the last 4 months. SW 264, lost 47# up to Oct 9th (at a rate of ~2# / week) then I have been stalling for the past 10 days around 217, 281 and this morning I am up at 219! ;-((

TDEE calculations came back at 2388, my diary is set at 1700 cal. I do 30mins of cardio 3-5 times / week, eating back about 40% of my exercise calories when applicable.

Should I reduce my diary to say 1600/day or give it some more time?. How long should I wait before changing my target?

I am male, 45 and have an office work.

P.S. My diary is open & public if you want to take a look.

Thanks

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Is the cardio new or have you been doing it all along? A new exercise program will cause temporary water retention.

Have you changed what you eat recently? When I get Chinese food, I have a water-retention spike that lasts a whole week.

ps - since I exercise a lot, but not regularly, I use MFP rather than TDEE, and add in my exercise.
  • bele2009
    bele2009 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have been doing that cardio thing from the start, so this in not new.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about it too much. It could just be water weight from a variety of reasons (exercise, higher carb diet, higher salt diet, etc.) If in another week or two you don't see progress, I would start decreasing your calorie intake up a bit. Another thought is, are you doing any measurements? A lot of times I will see the inches come off, but no weight loss and then all of a sudden, the pounds come off at an aggressive rate.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    10 days could be about anything. A change in carb or sodium intake. The weather is cooling and soups are on the menu a lot here now. Until I adjust to the sodium increase, I'll play with 5lbs or so. I'm also struggling to drink as much fluids because I'm not as thirsty in the cold.. that and the increased salt... Be patient, be as accurate as possible and have an extra glass of water ( wont help, or hurt, but you'll feel like you're doing something lol!)
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hey bele, we are friends on here an i am in exactly the same boat as you man. 145 days of logging and ive lost 52 pounds. But i have been stuck at 52 lbs lost for the last 20 days now.!! 20 days!!!. Its frustrating. Just hoping it will shed off soon.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    10 days is nothing, give it at least 3 weeks before changing anything. Weight loss is not linear and water fluctuations can mask fat loss on the scale for weeks. I can tell from your stats alone that 1700 cals will have you in a significant deficit regardless.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    10 days is not a stall. Ensure you're being accurate wit your tracking and if you are in a deficit be patient.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The difference between the TDEE calculation -20% and the calories setup in MFP (1700 + exercise) equal to be about the same. When doing the TDEE method you do not eat back exercise and MFP you do..

As others have said 10 days is way too soon and even after a period of time (4 - 6 weeks) if you are 100% on point with logging your food intake and on point with the amount of exercise calories you are eating back, its not stalled it has slowed down.

Your 1 or 2 pound increase on the scale is way within a valid weight range for day to day fluctuations that occur on the scale.