Holding onto the treadmill

Options
Would like to know the legit answer whether it's better to walk at lower level so you don't have to hold on, or higher so you do? I realize the calorie count may not be correct for latter but I feel like I am working harder, would say the calorie count doubles when inclined. Walked same length of time today without holding on, 45 min, same speed, low level and didn't feel as tired. This is based on comment I overheard and I wondered whether it was valid. Last time I was wringing wet by end of 45 minutes, and that was holding on. Tried to let go but at the steep incline was getting shin splints immediately. I want to make the most of my gym time.

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what's comfortable, least until you are comfortable walking/running without holding on.

I doubt there's a difference in the calorie burn. I had hip surgery 4 months ago, I hold on a bit just in case I miss a step or get wobbly.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    If you can't walk at the higher incline / speed without holding on go with a lower incline / speed & work your way up.

The objective is not to feel tired but to build up your aerobic base / fitness. Every workout should leave you wanting more.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I try not to hold on so I'm getting the most out of my workout (i.e. Teaching my body to do it itself and not use a "crutch"). It's more gradual but I feel like my body is actually learning and adapting rather than forcing something it's not ready to do. However, I am an easily distracted ditz on a treadmill so I frequently keep one hand on so I don't run off sideways.
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I tie myself on in case of a monster wave.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you can't walk at the higher incline / speed without holding on go with a lower incline / speed & work your way up.

The objective is not to feel tired but to build up your aerobic base / fitness. Every workout should leave you wanting more.

belaboring this point...
  • betterwhenimdancin
    betterwhenimdancin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're exclusively incline walking, I highly recommend a tread climber. They have peddles that move down as you step on them which makes for much lower impact than incline walking on a treadmill. My 70 year father in law who has bad knees was able to use it on a low speed.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Go at the speed that allows you a normal walking gait. The treadmill is already problematic enough for stride without taking your arm swing out of it too. Make sure you stretch your hip flexors if you treadmill a lot.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Typically when you see someone hang onto the treadmill they have their shoulders rolled forward or are bent over. When you use a treadmill you should walk as you normally would, with your body aligned. Putting your body in an unnatural position while you walk increases the risk of injury.

If you hang onto the rails while walking you are taking weight off of your legs and not engaging your core. Muscle takes longer to build, but that muscle will burn more calories for you in the long run and a strong core can prevent all sorts of problems.

Bottom line, hanging on means that the incline is too much.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Workload intensity is a combination of speed and incline. Walking at the same speed and a lower incline feels easier because it IS easier.

So, yes, walking at an incline is harder work and will burn more calories. However, holding on to the handrails offsets both the intensity and the calorie burn.

So......the correct answer is: walk at a speed and incline combo that allows you to work unsupported. For most people, that means s-l-o-w-i-n-g down the speed and cranking up the incline. For example, if you walk at 3.8 mph, it would be better to start by slowing down to say 2.5-2.7 and putting the elevation at 9%-10%, than it would be to stay at 3.8 mph, increase the incline to 9% and hang on for dear life.

Walking unsupported up a steeper incline takes some getting used to, so try doing it intervals at first, but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

NOTE: as always, these discussions concern the physiology of exercise intensity only and assumes that one does not have a medical or other issue that requires handrail support for stabilizing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    nocandew wrote: »
    Would like to know the legit answer whether it's better to walk at lower level so you don't have to hold on, or higher so you do? I realize the calorie count may not be correct for latter but I feel like I am working harder, would say the calorie count doubles when inclined. Walked same length of time today without holding on, 45 min, same speed, low level and didn't feel as tired. This is based on comment I overheard and I wondered whether it was valid. Last time I was wringing wet by end of 45 minutes, and that was holding on. Tried to let go but at the steep incline was getting shin splints immediately. I want to make the most of my gym time.

Never hold on, if it's too steep then reduce incline

If you're holding on you're negating the benefit of the incline
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have horrible balance/motion sickness issues and I forced myself to get used to not hanging on because I wanted my gym time to count.

Your effort counts more if you're not holding on.

It's better to go very slow and get used to not holding on. Add an incline if you want challenge while you're going slow. Speed will come with time. Just get used to the motion of the machine and how you balance yourself on it. You'll be doing yourself and your future workouts a favor.

Everything you do now will be building a base for the future. This is only the beginning. To progress from this point, you should be using the equipment properly for its full benefit as you get fitter.
  • nocandew
    nocandew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great responses, thank you all very much!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nocandew wrote: »

how does holding on stop shin splints?
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    My heart rate goes up by 10-15 beats when I swing my arms with walking as opposed to holding on. That obviously means a better calorie burn... I don't like holding on. :) I just make sure I can be comfortably paced without holding. I only grab hold during a water break (one hand on the rail and one on the water) or when I change the incline to make sure I keep footing.

Also, my theory on the high incline and holding on... if you watch the position of the people, they are still like they're walking on flat ground because of holding on. They need to let go to make the body reposition to make it "up the hill" in order for it to do good, IMO.
  • novasunflower
    novasunflower Posts: 29 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Please don't assume you're "doubling the calorie burn" on anything ever. A walked mile burns effectively the same number of calories,give or take 10-15 calories--no matter the speed. Incline is great but, still. You wouldn't want to shoot yourself in the foot by eating your "double earnings" back. Just walk comfortably, at a speed where you don't need railings. It will help you build better posture, stride and speed as you go.