Getting back into healthy eating

Options
Whenever I help my friend out on funfair I always end up eating loads. Mainly chicken wraps from food vendor and takeaway. Fish n chips on odd occasion and breakfasts from cafe. Now I'm home I need to start again with healthy eating. How can I do this though.
3 weeks ago my dog had to be put to sleep. When I was holding him I promised him I would try harder and stop eating chocolate. How can I do that when my loved ones buy me chocolate. I want to try harder but finding it hard.

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You have to be mentally ready to try and it doesn't sound like you are there. You want to be there and that's good. It's a trite saying, but you really must "Just say no." I have had to turn down people's offers of brownies and sweets at work and I always feel bad, but enough is enough. I was growing out my clothes.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your dog - that is a real heartbreaker.

But dont use it as an excuse to overeat - those people buying you chocolate - they arent tossing you to the ground and shoving down your throat, are they? if so, you got bigger problems!!

Seriously, you have to be in the right frame of mind to tackle a project like weight loss because it often means letting go of old and inappropriate ways of coping with life's stressors. If you are not there yet mentally, the journey will be difficult and unsatisfying. And you wont be happy.

When you are ready, you have to be all in - sign up with MFP, get the appropriate calorie level, shop approriately, weigh, log and be honest with yourself.

Remember - there is no try. There is only do, or do not. Someone famous said that, I think.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your dog. I an animal lover and vet in training, so I get it.

Regarding eating. Have you considered eating the foods that you love in moderation? Instead of a large chocolate bar, ask your loved ones to buy smaller quantities. Calories are king for weight loss/maintenance/gaining. I eat treats every day. The foods you were eating would be fine if they fit your calories and were satisfying your hunger. Most restaurants will have nutrition info in-store or online.
  • Crazycatladytracey
    Crazycatladytracey Posts: 46 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Well I've explained to everyone that I don't want chocolate for Xmas. Explained that I was to loose weight to be healthier and hopefully bring down my sugar levels.
    I won't be working away now till February so I have a chance to loose weight. Atm though, I feel drained of all my energy when I've been out to the shops.