I want to lose 50+lbs & train for my 1st 1/2 marathon

Options
Hi everyone! I'm a SAHM of 2 beautiful children & married to an amazing man. My goal is to run my 1st 1/2 marathon in July 2017. I am 35yo 5'7 currently 190lbs & I am working on losing 50-60lbs. My husband is also wanting to lose 50-60lbs so getting fit together is our goal ;) I ordered the Ideal Shape shakes & snack bars for us to try for a month to kick start our weight loss.
Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    No ideal shakes needed.
    Pick a healthy calorie goal and have well balanced meals. Eat a wide variety of foods. Start your running training(even if that starts with walking).
    Your weight and fitness goals are achievable.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you currently a runner?
  • jmaine252
    jmaine252 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I am new here, but am excited to be amongst like minded ppl all on the same goal. I was an avid collegiate athlete who took yrs off. I've been vegan for a yr NOW and combined with a DAILY log of miles ran have lost over 45 lbs!!! I am here to motivate through, quotes, posts, ideas, recipes, and exercises. Feel free to add, comment, like and share your processes, struggles, and MOTIVATION!! @TavistockToad @meritage4 @jessicavo981
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    No ideal shakes needed.
    Pick a healthy calorie goal and have well balanced meals. Eat a wide variety of foods. Start your running training(even if that starts with walking).
    Your weight and fitness goals are achievable.

I have to agree. Shakes and bars are costly and sometimes pretty high in calories. But that's me. I've eaten a Cliff bar and I've tried gels during long runs of over an hour, but for everyday life, I choose food. Read the ingredient list to see what's in them. Again, it's my own opinion, if those work for you, that's great.

I ran a few half marathons a couple of years ago...oh, maybe 4 or 5 years now. I followed a plan from Runners World. But there are numerous programs out there. Start slow, gradually increase your mileage and get plenty of rest. I also found that cross training and strength training were keys to my success. You have plenty of time to train and it's definitely doable. If you've never been in a race, you may want to run in a 10k a month or two before the big race so you're used to the crowds and get a feel of what a race will be like. My biggest mistake was starting out too fast - you're excited and the adrenaline is going. But 13 miles is a long way, so pace yourself. Also note the terrain of the race, if there are hills, you need to train on hills.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    I'm also 35 and a mother of two, also looking to drop about the same amount of weight. I ran a half marathon 8ish years ago and have a goal to run another next summer :)
    I highly recommend the Couch25K training program to get started, it starts you off slow and builds up each week. I have an app on my phone that I use, I can play music while the app is running and it lowers the music and tells me when to walk and run, I find I do better when I don't have to think about it and watch the clock.
    Feel free to add me :)
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    i have to ask...what the hell is a SAHM? all these acronyms. i'm so out of it.
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    stay at home mum
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    i have to ask...what the hell is a SAHM? all these acronyms. i'm so out of it.

Stay At Home Mom. Guessing based on context.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    A few suggestions... Certainly the more weight you lose the faster you will become, but you shouldn't really be on an active cut in (at least) the month leading up to your race--I'm speaking from experience here--I was much faster when I was properly fueled/eating at maintenance. Most professional half marathon training programs (Higdon comes to mind) are ~12 weeks long, even for novices (but novice assumes that you can start out running ~10 miles per week). How much you'll actually want to train depends on your goals, but you'll want your mileage in the 20-30 miles per week range eventually--if you're starting from absolutely no running you'll want to be careful how much mileage you add on a weekly basis or you run the risk of injury.

Good Luck!

Oh--and one or two black toenails is to be expected when running this distance, even with good shoes. If something ever feels "off" during a long run, retie your shoe or fix your sock. On the upside, my pedicurist didn't even bat an eye at them!
  • Coloneyhatch
    Coloneyhatch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try the Jeff Galloway technique
  • jessicavo981
    jessicavo981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice! The shakes are just a temporary thing for a month to get my body use to the calorie cut & also to help me eat 5x a day (I eat about 2-3x a day now). I definitely need to drop some weight to be able to run, I started to walk 2miles with jog sprints about 2x a week now for 2wks. I am dusting off my elliptical & starting a C25K program on Monday. In Feb I plan to really kick up the heat for the 13.1 giving me 5 1/2 months of hard core training before the big day mid July 2017.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Running training increases your appetite

If you can return the shakes I would and instead learn to cook weigh and portion out healthy and satiating food. What fills you up is personal and you can't learn early enough how to adjust the foods you currently eat to fuel your body for training and lose weight. Adequate protein, fats and wide range of nutrient rich foods

With children in the house it's even more important you don't be an example of poor eating habits and meal replacement are really not a great example for young kids

Check www.skinnytaste.com for family friendly and lower calorie foods

And log recipes by weight and accurately...when setting serving sizes weigh whole dish and log one serving as 100g then you can weigh out adaptable portions
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice! The shakes are just a temporary thing for a month to get my body use to the calorie cut & also to help me eat 5x a day (I eat about 2-3x a day now). I definitely need to drop some weight to be able to run, I started to walk 2miles with jog sprints about 2x a week now for 2wks. I am dusting off my elliptical & starting a C25K program on Monday. In Feb I plan to really kick up the heat for the 13.1 giving me 5 1/2 months of hard core training before the big day mid July 2017.

A half marathon is a lofty goal for a non runner... good luck!

The long distance runners forum is pretty good for advice, there are a lot of knowledgeable runners on here.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think shakes are fine. I have one a day to meet my calcium and protein needs. I'm finishing off some Adkins that a friend didn't care for but prefer the Premier Protein ones. I'll be doing my 1st run, a 10K, this Dec. I've lost 104 pounds this past year and want to keep them off. These smaller runs are just the motivation I need. Best wishes for success!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Return the shakes.. you do not need these at all. Fuel your running with balanced meals, ample hydration and plenty of protein while eating in a calorie deficit. It will be trial and error on what and how much you need to fuel your runs while losing weight.

You are sprinting in your first two weeks of being a beginner runner?

Eating in a deficit as you increase mileage will prove a little difficult so long as you do this the right way. Your determination and drive I hope does not fuel "over confidence" which one might make when thinking more is better.

Do the 5k training, then find you other distance training plans like 8k, 10k, etc..and progress in to longer distances, slowly.

Running in my mind is sort of an art. Determination and drive will certainly get you so far, but the training is how you succeed and through the right diet.

eta: I have never had black toe nails..
  • being_camille
    being_camille Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for my first half marathon!! Add me and we can cheer each other on ❤️ I also post all my runs on my Instagram for extra motivation! Instagram is: 2bCamille
    Let's do this!! ❤️