Exercising and gaining weight...

Options
I've been exercising for about two months now and I've gained between 5-10lbs. My diet has gotten slightly better and I drink a cup of water for every meal and sometimes a bottle throughout the day so I'm not understanding. I do cardio and have a set weekly routine that involves using the machines in the gym.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories and logging your food as accurately as possible (i.e. using a food scale)?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming and do you use a food scale/ cups/spoons/guess to figure those calories out?

Am so, what are your age, sex, height, current and goal weights?
  • BiggeA
    BiggeA Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As they say, calories is king. If your not watching what you eat you can't expect to lose.

You can easily out eat a work out regardless of how much you do. Sitting here debating a 540 calorie NY cheesecake slice. I can eat it in 20 seconds while that's easily 2 hours of exercise to burn off.

CICO. If your in a caloric deficit you will lose weight.
  • EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    you cant outrun a poor diet
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you are not properly counting the amount of calories consumed/eating in deficiency NO amount of exercise is going to make you magically lose weight. If anything, you will either maintain or gain as you have which means you are eating too many calories.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you are not properly counting the amount of calories consumed/eating in deficiency NO amount of exercise is going to make you magically lose weight. If anything, you will either maintain or gain as you have which means you are eating too many calories.

^^This
    It's important to track how much you're eating, especially after starting a new exercise program. When I first started exercising years ago, I had this tendency to "reward" myself each time by stopping at McDonald's or somewhere afterwards. I figured, hey, I was exercising, so that meant I could eat whatever I wanted, right? Then I couldn't figure out why I was gaining weight. Moving more can increase your appetite, since your body needs more fuel to function.
    Good rule of thumb: exercise is for fitness, diet is for weight loss.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Do you know for sure that at the end of each day you are in a calorie deficit to lose weight?

There is a huge variance between 5 - 10 pounds..
  • arnnap
    arnnap Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @malibu927 I am new so haven't been logging my stuff in until recently but I feel like I still ate similarly and I'm trying my best log accurately
  • arnnap
    Options
    @cerise_noir I'm 5'4', 18, and female. I think I'm consuming 1700
  • arnnap
    Options
    @BiggeA can you explain calorie deficit, I know what it is but I don't understand how to do it without under eating
  • arnnap
    Options
    @RoxieDawn the app says I should lose 1.5 lbs if I don't go over the calorie count they gave me
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    How accurately are you logging?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    arnnap wrote: »
    @cerise_noir I'm 5'4', 18, and female. I think I'm consuming 1700

What is your weight? How much are you trying to lose?
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    OP, I suggest you read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

It will explain everything you need to know. It is written really clearly and has TONS of useful information.
    Good luck!
  • srcorber
    srcorber Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is the amount of calories it takes to keep your body alive each day. This includes any calories burned through exercise or other activities. You can google TDEE and calculate it based on your age, height, sex, weight, BF% (for some calculations). This will be an estimate based on scientifically-determined equations. Note: when you are eating below your TDEE, your body draws the deficit calories from your fat stores and lean body mass.

A pound of fat approximately contains 3500 calories. If you eat 500 calories less than your TDEE, then you will likely lose 1 lb/week. For 1.5 lb/week, that is 750 deficit a day.

When you enter your stats into MFP, it calculates your TDEE, and does this math for you based on how many pounds a week you said you wanted to lose. This is how your goal calories are generated.

I would recommend setting your activity level to 'sedentary' even if you aren't. It's more accurate to enter your own exercise, but even that can be a little inaccurate. Every time you enter exercise, MFP will automatically add that you the amount you need to eat that day. You don't need to eat those back though, especially since they get overestimated frequently in the databases.

One more thing, MFP won't set your calorie goal less than 1200/day. If you have a low TDEE, then you may not see the results.

EX: If I sit around all day, my TDEE is about 1500. If I want to lose a pound a week, then I need to eat 1000 calories. That's too low for MFP to recommend, so it will auto set it to 1200 calories a day. My deficit is now only 300 calories a day, or only 0.6 lbs/week. The recommendations are there for a reason though, because it gets harder to have a diet that will allow proper nutrition at lower than 1200 cal/day. If you want to go lower than that, see a professional first to help draft a meal plan that will meet your nutrition goals.

to summarize, the best way to find a good calorie goal is to:
    Calculate your TDEE
    subtract off 750 cal off of it
    *if below 1200, see professional or just be okay with slow weight loss*
    recalculate each month or for every 10 lbs.

Once you get going, you can track your weight and calories each day and get a more accurate TDEE calculation.

In order for this to work, you must track your calories very accurately. It's difficult, but is much easier if you utilize a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING you eat, even packaged items! Product weight isn't always 100%.
  • arnnap
    Options
    @SLLRunner I am 155 and want to be 125
  • srcorber
    Options
    @SLLRunner I am 155 and want to be 125

So since you're pretty light already, your TDEE will be lower. Note, TDEE also depends of body fat. The lower your body fat, the more calories your body burns.

I punched in your numbers real quick, and your sedentary TDEE is 1800. This is if you have an office job and don't really exercise.

Let's say you get light exercise: your TDEE goes up to 2000. So to lose 1.5 lb a week, you would need to eat 1250 cal/day. If you are eating 1700 calories a day, you could except to lose between 0.2 to 0.6 lb a week.
  • arnnap
    Options
    @srcorber thank you a lot
  • srcorber
    Options
    @srcorber thank you a lot

No problem! I definitely recommend getting a food scale. I started around your BMI and age, and tried to lose weight with MFP off and on through my early 20's. Never lasted more than a couple weeks. This time around, I bought a food scale and learned a lot more about calories and it finally stuck! It's amazing how hard it is to estimate the mass of food and how off volume measurements can be. I also have a friend logging with me, so that helps a lot as well. If you go on Reddit, check out r/loseit! A lot of good info there.