weight gain from one MASSIVE binge (5000cal)

Options
Ok so yesterday morning I woke up and went on a massive binge. I ate anything I wanted but still tracked of the calories I was insanely consuming. by the end it was about 5000-5200. I normally eat around 1200-1300. the calculators give my maintenance intake at 1550 calories.

I know to gain one pound of fat you would have to eat an extra 3500 calories. so does this mean I've gained one pound of fat? it took weeks of hard work to just lose one pound so this is really really frustrating and I don't know what to do.

And no, I don't have a binging disorder. this was a planned fun day to treat myself a little but I got drunk and lost all self control and ate everything in site!

Replies

• Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow what did you eat to consume 5000kcals!

Don't worry about it, it's done so there isn't much you can do about it now, just move forward and continue on your diet for the rest of the week. I've had days when I've eating more than I should and still lost weight that week

Perhaps next time if you do have a planned treat day, don't consume alcohol or don't have other foods that you can likely binge on.
  • MaryOves
    MaryOves Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Get back on the horse. You had your fun, it's over, move on!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ok so yesterday morning I woke up and went on a massive binge. I ate anything I wanted but still tracked of the calories I was insanely consuming. by the end it was about 5000-5200. I normally eat around 1200-1300. the calculators give my maintenance intake at 1550 calories.

I know to gain one pound of fat you would have to eat an extra 3500 calories. so does this mean I've gained one pound of fat? it took weeks of hard work to just lose one pound so this is really really frustrating and I don't know what to do.

And no, I don't have a binging disorder. this was a planned fun day to treat myself a little but I got drunk and lost all self control and ate everything in site!

Yes, and THAT is what I think about when I am tempted! Figure out what you would like to learn from this, then get back on track today. Life goes on...
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Lol, 5000 is a mini binge for me. xD
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have had that problem. If you end it right there and swing back on plan, the worst that will happen is a huge instant weight gain that drops off fairly quickly as the food and sodium clears your system. You might not see a loss this week. Maybe you will. But it's just a bump in the road.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Consistency is the key. One binge won't derail you. Just be sure you're ready the next couple of days especially to fight the cravings and get back on track. You got this.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had a 2000 Cal dinner on Friday, altogether I had about 3200 cals that day. But I'm almost consistently under my cals and it was my mum's b day dinner, so I'm not stressing. Sad thing is that the 2000 cals was for only half the dinner...darn cheesecake factory. ..but yummy leftovers lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Doesn't sound like much fun... you started bingeing in the morning, you were drinking then?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    united1974 wrote: »
    it doesnt take much to consume 5000 cals. not when you can easily get 1000cals in a meal.. and not even a big "cheat" meal. three of them in a day with alcohol and the snacks that can come with that? easily done.

Dont worry about it OP.. a few days of normal eating again and lots of water and you will be fine..

wouldnt advocate doing it every few days mind you :)

Exactly. I'm not all that big, but I'm pretty certain I could put away 5,000 cals in ONE SITTING if I let myself go wild at a mexican restaurant.

I could easily do that at a good pizza joint.

I could (and have) easily eat 5k if not 7k in one sitting.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I recently had a bad binge day too and im sure I mustve ate about 5000 cals too. Huge fried breakfast, mcdonalds for lunch and wine and takeaway at night. Plus nuts and nibbles. I weighed 4lbs heavier the next day but it was gone again by the end of the week. I enjoy an occasional binge day, it kinda recharges me and gives me fresh motivation..its like an itch I have to scratch......just dont do it every week though and make sure one bad day doesnt turn into a bad 2 or 3-days.
  • FaryRochester
    FaryRochester Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the support! I will get back to my healthy routine and not let this happen again.
    Also, I work night shifts and go to sleep at 5am so my "morning" starts sometime after 11:30am. anyway, I obviously didn't start with the alcohol! I had my breakfast and then snacks and then slowly went into binge along with the drinking.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    5000? Pfft. I do more that in one evening at the fair. (2 weeks, Mr. Elephant Ear, you and me have a date.) But it's only once a year. I have about maybe 8-10 days a year I go way overboard, but as long as you even yourself out over the next week or so, it'll be fine.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    5000? Pfft. I do more that in one evening at the fair. (2 weeks, Mr. Elephant Ear, you and me have a date.) But it's only once a year. I have about maybe 8-10 days a year I go way overboard, but as long as you even yourself out over the next week or so, it'll be fine.

....mmmmm Thanksgiving.....
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Your body doesn't really work like that...it takes consistently over eating to put on fat just as it takes consistently under feeding to take it off...the equation is a bit oversimplified...your body is very adept at energy management and maintaining homeostasis...it takes consistently doing one or the other (over or under feeding) to override your body's awesome energy management capabilities.

Any weight you gain is water, glycogen replenishment, and excess waste beyond what you usually have in your system.

Really good explanation. I agree, one day does not mean you un-raveled your entire week or month. Keep in mind most people are 'under' their calorie goals each day which means you are in a deficit on top of your deficit assigned. Some of that will be made up over time and the rest your body will probably expel as waste or use it for repair of muscles or use it as energy. It's when you do this over and over, day after day that your body says... wtf! and turns on fat storage mode.