Nutrition plans

Options
Hey!

Does anyone have any links to good inexpensive nutrition plans? I'm struggling with my eating and I find when I do best when I have a plan to follow. Any good ideas?!

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by nutrition plan? What do you like to eat? What are your goals?
  • CaraAnn72
    CaraAnn72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    By nutrition plan I mean something online you can buy, like a workout plan but for food. I like to eat most things but I'm looking to lose weight and having trouble getting back into the swing of being healthy
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am really liking 21 day fix by Beachbody.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The really nice thing about making this up as you go along - you learn portion sizes and nutritional stats for your favorites.

"Healthy" is relative. Most people would have a different definition. Instead, I try to eat less processed foods, more protein and more fiber. Those are things I need to improve on. Those are things I should do for life. Those things will help me maintain my weight too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If your main objective is to spend money (but it doesn't sound like it, you use the word "inexpensive"), you can just buy a plan, but learning to feed yourself properly isn't that difficult, and it certainly doesn't have to cost money. You don't have to have someone else make you a plan in order to follow a plan. You can follow a plan you have made yourself, and that will be easier, because for any meal plan made by someone else, you will be faced with something that doesn't suit you - schedule, allergies, dislikes, unavailable foods, cooking methods, time, equipment or opportunities, or storage facilities, to mention a few.

If your main objective is to lose weight and you also want to eat better, focus on that. To lose weight, you have to eat less. To be able to continue to eat less, you will find that you have to eat better. When you pay attention to what you eat (log/track), you will notice that some foods and some patterns work better than others. This is individual, and the reason why you have to do it yourself, and it's a process. Continually do more of what works, and less of what doesn't.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    CaraAnn72 wrote: »
    By nutrition plan I mean something online you can buy, like a workout plan but for food. I like to eat most things but I'm looking to lose weight and having trouble getting back into the swing of being healthy

Just keep eating the foods you like, but in the correct calorie amounts for your weight loss goals. No need to make drastic, unsustainable changes to your diet.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. Weigh the foods you like. Log everything and use correct entries. This is a lifestyle change not a temporary fix.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You are on a free website which enables you to enter your stats and goals, calculate a calorie goal based on a reasonable rate of loss, then accurately track the calorie and nutritional profile of the foods you choose to eat. Find a balance of foods that provide nutrition (macro and micro nutrients), satiety (help keep you full while eating at a deficit), and enjoyment (work in treats as you are able). Exercise if you enjoy it, logging and eating back a portion of those calories as well.

No need to pay for a plan unless you really feel the need to spend your money... in which case I would focus on some new workout clothes or something else motivating!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says create your own, it's much easier.

For me, it's also much easier to cook around what I have available (especially vegetables, since I get them from a weekly farm box much of the year), and prevents stuff from going bad (and I can make the things I like and not mess with the kinds of recipe ideas in food plans, which always seem pointless and not to my taste or interesting).

That said, if you want help formulating a food plan, maybe try something like this, which is free: https://www.eatthismuch.com/
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think I get this mindset. What the OP is looking for is something written down she can follow because it is easier than figuring out those things on your own. If it's written down, breakfast, lunch, dinner or whatever it makes it easier to grocery shop, etc. Only buy things that's on that plan and you are on your way.

For some people the idea of grocery shopping can be overwhelming. I mean you walk into a large supermarket and you are trying to get on track and there is food everywhere making claims to this and claims to that and reading labels can be daunting and time consuming. Do I eat this and not this? What do you believe, who do you believe? Is the stuff on the back of the package telling you the truth, yada yada.

If I'm correct on what she's asking and why, I do get it. Unfortunately I don't really know of any you can buy or try that aren't "diet specific" like Atkins or whatever that may or may not suit the OP.
  • Javachipgirl
    Javachipgirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too. This is life transforming change we're making versus a 21-day program. I carefully weigh and track my food. The meals I like and that feel nutritionally appropriate (i.e. Macro ratio, satisfying etc) I put in the recepie and meal section so I'm essentially building my own meal plan as I go along.

There is so much trial and error involved and I'm struggling with the "just for today" "one day at a time"
    Concepts each time I get off track.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I make a weekly plan based on my supermarket's sales. My breakfast is pretty much the same everyday: yogurt or cottage cheese, fruit and cereal or a bagel. (When I was losing instead of maintaining it was half a bagel.) Lunch is salad or leftovers. And I plan dinner that my family will eat without costing me a fortune.

I aim to have 5 fruits and veggies and 100 or more grams of protein daily. It's not rocket science, you just have to set aside an hour a week to take care of it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For some people the idea of grocery shopping can be overwhelming. I mean you walk into a large supermarket and you are trying to get on track and there is food everywhere making claims to this and claims to that and reading labels can be daunting and time consuming. Do I eat this and not this? What do you believe, who do you believe? Is the stuff on the back of the package telling you the truth, yada yada.

That's interesting; it's not something I relate to at all, but perhaps it is true.

This is how I shop: go into the store (usually on my way home from work), go to the produce section and buy whatever vegetables I need (during summer through now not much, due to the farm box), get fruit if I want it/don't have it from my box. Then if I need meat or fish, go grab that (I actually get all my meat from farms these days too, might get fish depending on the store). Perhaps pick up some smoked salmon. I will have most of the staples at home, but if I need I might grab some dried pasta or beans (canned or dried) or some grains to have as sides (depends on what I'm low on). I'll run by the dairy aisle and get some Fage greek yogurt and cottage cheese if I'm low on those, and might pick up some feta or goat cheese if I don't have enough cheese at home (I get cheese from a bunch of places). I'd also get eggs if I didn't get them from the farm. If I don't have them on hand (again, I usually would), I'd get canned tomatoes. Maybe I'll peek at the ice cream or get frozen fruits and veg too.

That's basically it. I know I'm atypical because I do get a bunch of stuff from the farm, but it seems pretty simple -- for regular shopping I'd mostly make sure I had the kinds of stables (beans, pasta, rice, grains) I like, refresh eggs and dairy, get the produce I'll be eating for the next few days to a week (depending on how often I shop), and get the proteins for the same.

I find it a million times harder if I have to look at recipes first and then buy things I wouldn't formally to go with the recipes. Much, much easier to buy my normal stuff and the vegetables/fruit/proteins that look good, are on special, or strike my fancy and then work around what I buy. Almost none of this involves reading labels or checking out new products, too.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I had the same question when I decided I was serious that I wanted to lose weight. As someone above said mfp lets you track what you eat, so I'm still in the trial and error stage of figuring out what works for me. To make it easy I just buy fresh produce I think I like (meat, fish, vegetables, dairy) then go from there. I've learned to tweak a few things (eg store bought granola wasn't a true friend to me, so I'm learning to buy oats and make up a granola as I go along). I learned brown rice was a better option, whole grain wheat flour too, etc etc
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I can't answer your question, OP, but I do understand what you are saying. Many folks on MFP have open diaries. If you find people with roughly the same calorie goal as you have, you can get great ideas from how others put it all together.

A decent starting point would be using the recipe builder to create a couple template meals to use as a base. Are there one or two breakfasts you really like that keep you full until lunch? Start the template with that. Are there things you like to eat every day? Add that and then see what other macros you need and what foods would provide those.

E.g. The things I have just about every day are eggs cooked with a vegetable for breakfast (zucchini frittata, spinach omlette, tortilla espanola, etc), greek yogurt with a piece of fruit as an afternoon snack, and legumes at some point in the day (eggs on black beans for breakfast, cabbage lentil soup for lunch, black eyed peas with Andouille for dinner, etc.). Most of my meals tend to be low fat so I use snacks to help me reach my fat minimum, e.g. 20g almonds + 20g cheese + 20g dried fruit=250kcal, 20g fat.

Once you have logged your basic meals & snacks a few times, you will have a much better feel for how variations on the basic theme will add up at the end of the day. It gets easier with experience, I promise.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I am 100% in the camp of getting a food scale, and eating a diet that you enjoy within your calorie range.

That said, I have used eMeals in the past. I only purchased it for one year, and only because I got overwhelmed when I was finishing college, working, and caring for a toddler. It was the first time in my life that I was responsible for feeding my family, and I wanted to expand my recipe library.

eMeals was nice in that I told it what I needed (feeding a family of 3-6), where I shop (Publix), and how what my eating preferences were. It will plan out a weekly menu based on what is on sale at your store and give you a shopping list for the beginning of the week so that you can have everything you need in your home. You can set it to plan calorie-controlled meals if you'd like; however, I didn't do that and I still lost weight while using it because I was using MFP and a food scale to log all of my food.

I think it's $40-50 per year? You can also purchase it monthly, but the year was cheaper.

Now that I'm a more experienced cook (and mom!), I don't need the service anymore, but I still have all of the recipes at my disposal and they get used pretty frequently.

I would advise against using any MLM plans like BeachBody. They are too expensive for what they are, and you can accomplish the same thing on your own for much cheaper.
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I started by making lists of the lunches that I would like to take to work because I knew that would be the hardest detail to master. The first week I think I made some chicken soup in a crockpot and portioned it out into 7 to go containers and ate that all week for lunch. I looked up the calories of something similar on the MFP database. That week worked out well so then that entire first week while I was eating soup I was thinking about what I would like for lunches the next week and I came up with 2 meals to alternate. Eventually I started listing breakfasts and dinners. Now 3 months in pretty much everything I eat is already in the MFP database for my tracking so all I have to do is check it off.