Alcohol?

Options
Is it possible to still drink alcohol while trying to lose weight? Or have you found that you have stopped drinking in order to reach your goals?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I admit, I lose faster when I cut it out, or at least down. In addition to the calories from alcohol, I also have to factor in the fact that I tend to care less about calories and more about salty, fatty goodness the day after a night on the booze. It also makes me lazy and not want to exercise.

It's a personal thing. If you can fit it in your calories, cool. So long as you track and log it, it shouldn't be a problem (unless of course you drink so much of it, it starts eating into calories you should be using for actual nutrition!)
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is really just eating at a caloric deficit.

I definitely still drink alcohol (I am in law school - that's how we self medicate the pain and stress). However, I have definitely cut down my drinking because it does get trickier for me to fit it in my calories now that I'm at 1200 a day.

A few things I do:
    -I used to drink rum and cokes. Lots of calories. Now I drink vodka and club soda with fresh lime. Very refreshing and you only get the calories from the vodka (approximately 140 for 2 oz if memory serves me).
    -drink water in between each drink
    -if I know I'm going out and I want to get hammered, I plan ahead and shave off a few more calories the week leading up to the big night out. So I'll consume like 1100 -1200 each day even though I should probably eat a few hundred more that day because of exercise. That way I can really let loose and not feel so guilty about the drinks and shots I have or the Taco Bell that occurs afterward. Pretty much I bank those extra calories for the week so I can have a fun night and not really worry about the damage.
    -if you like to eat junk food during/after drinking, maybe try to find some healthier snacks. I try to have a healthier pizza option ready to heat up at home so I'm less tempted to buy something even worse for me.

Good luck! You can definitely enjoy alcohol and still lose weight! I've lost over 30 pounds and still going strong!
  • katyycox
    katyycox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Alcohol itself (not including sugar) is 9kcals per gram. And anything with sugar will make that higher 4 kcals per gram. Maybe limit yourself to 3 glasses of wine a week. It may curb late night snacking if that's an issue. I'm a dietitics student in my third year and Im trying to slim down before going abroad :)
  • camy4dfied
    camy4dfied Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Lol my fitness pal has the calories for alcoholic beverages although I've cut it out. I've come a long way from when I used to have wine listed below snacks
  • beccapineapple8756
    beccapineapple8756 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I cut it out. Mostly because after drinking i never ate good food choices. So i had extra calories from drinks aswell as fatty salty food.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I havnt cut it out ive just changed to spirits as they r lower in calories and hVe either sugar free fizzy drink or low cal juice
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I don't drink as much as I used to, but I definitely still fit alcohol into my diet and I'm down 113 pounds so far. It all boils down to making the numbers work.
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For me it's not the alccohol that's the issue but the lack of control around food that accompanies it.